Coin Toss Decides Judicial Recount

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Coin Toss Decides Judicial Recount

Post by oneh2obabe »

CHARLOTTETOWN—A Liberal candidate has won his seat in the Prince Edward Island legislature by a coin toss.

Spokespeople for the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives confirmed Tuesday that a judicial recount of ballots cast in the riding of Vernon River-Stratford resulted in a tie.

Each candidate had 1,173 votes.

Tory spokesman Jeff Himelman said an additional ballot for his party’s candidate Mary Ellen McInnis had been counted in favour of Liberal Alan McIsaac.

McIsaac had originally won the May 4 election by just two votes.

The P.E.I. Elections Act requires a coin toss when a judicial recount results in a tie.

Liberal spokeswoman Mary Moszynski said the candidate whose name was closest to the beginning of the alphabet was assigned “heads” and the candidate with name closest to the end of the alphabet was given “tails.”

“Tails” won and the Liberal incumbent retained his seat in the riding southeast of Charlottetown.

Himelman said McInnis was unavailable for comment.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015 ... count.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Coin Toss Decides Judicial Recount

Post by JLives »

I feel a best 2 out of 3 paper/rock/scissors match would have been more fair to the election process.
Last edited by JLives on May 20th, 2015, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

JLives wrote:I feel a best 2 out 3 paper/rock/scissors match would have been more fair to the election process.

Rock paper scissors lizard spock...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

In Halifax they once had to pull a name out of a hat to decide the winner.
It's rare but they are simple ways that can't be cheated when all is counted and tied.

Return to “Political Arena”