10 senators to be referred to RCMP

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: 10 senators to be referred to RCMP

Post by steven lloyd »

Hurtlander wrote: I personally believe the senate is a necessary evil as a chamber of sober second thought.

Agreed. The problem comes with their appointment and the resulting sense of entitlement. An elected Senate, in theory, might provide more accountability – although we have to question that given the lack of accountability we seem to tolerate from our already elected politicians who all get away with pretty much anything they want due to a docile and complacent electorate.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jun 8th, 2015, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

steven lloyd wrote:Agreed. The problem comes with their appointment and the resulting sense of entitlement. An elected Senate, in theory, might provide more accountability – although we have to question that given the lack of accountability we seem to tolerate from our already elected politicians who all get away with pretty much anything they want due to a docile and complacent electorate.

I'm not an advocate of having a senate, but I don't think the answer is an elected one. It's hard enough to get people to vote now and putting more work on voters will not be the answer.

If we have to have one, then we need stricter rules on the appointments.

The PMO can ONLY appoint individuals who have been a sitting MLA or MP having been elected a minimum of two times. So they have twice been shown to be electable. If the PMO wants to have a Senator who doesn't meet this criteria, then the individual needs to be voted in by Parliment.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Tacklewasher wrote:
I'm not an advocate of having a senate, but I don't think the answer is an elected one. It's hard enough to get people to vote now and putting more work on voters will not be the answer.

If we have to have one, then we need stricter rules on the appointments.

The PMO can ONLY appoint individuals who have been a sitting MLA or MP having been elected a minimum of two times. So they have twice been shown to be electable. If the PMO wants to have a Senator who doesn't meet this criteria, then the individual needs to be voted in by Parliment.

Yeah because a previously seated MLA or MP will know how to do a better job of hiding their expenses.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Yeah because a previously seated MLA or MP will know how to do a better job of hiding their expenses.

At least it is a better method than used now!
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

What we have now is fine, what we do not have now is what is missing and that is an oversight body which could be part of an MP's portfolio. If they are not going to police their own expenses then we need to find a way to do that for them. Shame that we have a senate full of exceptional Canadians and this is what has come of it. It truly is a black eye for Canada.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Tacklewasher wrote: I'm not an advocate of having a senate, but I don't think the answer is an elected one. It's hard enough to get people to vote now and putting more work on voters will not be the answer.

That’s a good point, but it does place the responsibility for a democratic government where it belongs – with the voters.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I think the one issue that would be a HUGE one with an elected senate would be a further Americanization of the system, that would create a "the most money wins" type senate. We have already seen what that creates, and our current system, though flawed, can still function. If these issues happen, I do wish to see the offending parties punished and perhaps jailed if this is needed.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Thankfully 2 of the 3 federal parties know the benefits to a functional Senate in this form of government.
The NDP are butt kissing Canadians by pushing abolishment of the Senate ,easy sell and target. To bad he doesn't give a crap about the consequences only cheap votes.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

jimmy4321 wrote:Thankfully 2 of the 3 federal parties know the benefits to a functional Senate in this form of government.
The NDP are butt kissing Canadians by pushing abolishment of the Senate ,easy sell and target. To bad he doesn't give a crap about the consequences only cheap votes.

The gullible leftists will lap it up, thinking the taxpayers may save huge money if the Senate is abolished. Fact is, the annual cost is about as much as a rounding error in the federal budget.

Fools believe what they want to hear. Angry Tom's tellin' them.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Rwede wrote:The gullible leftists will lap it up, thinking the taxpayers may save huge money if the Senate is abolished.

Since when have gullible leftists ever cared about saving taxpayers money? Never. All they want to do is spend spend spend. The only reason gullible leftists would support the senate abolishment would be that then there would be absolutely no one between themselves and a majority house wanting to pass every stupid ideologically flawed and failed social experiment they can dream up. With a senate in the way, every single stupid law would get pushed back, with hearty guffaws and directions to where they can stick it, as it should. Keep the Senate, for sure. It's the only thing that saved Australia from the insane machinations of Kevin Rudd.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Since when have gullible leftists ever cared about saving taxpayers money? Never. All they want to do is spend spend spend.

True dat. Save isn't in their vocabulary, poor choice of words on my part.

The thought rationale may be that they can get that money re-appropriated to some funky public sector union raises.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Precursor to the current Conservative Party their Leader Preston Manning was always wanting Senate reform / elected Senate

Of course that would cost 100s of millions (whatever the current rate for a Federal election) every 4, 5 years or how often the elections would happen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If you don't know the merits of a Senate in Canada a nickel spent is too much.
It's a part of our government and should remain.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Bottom line is this spending taxpayers money at will and whim has been happening for a long time.
This PM promised to change things and did not.

The raging, ranting, rambling righties will no doubt not want to hear this, but it is clearly time to heave steve.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Political Arena”