Qualifications of Elected Officials

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Qualifications of Elected Officials

Post by Rosemary1 »

Before you are offered a job or promotion in the corporate world and you will need to demonstrate skills, ability, education and training and demonstrated experience and success appropriate and relevant to the position and responsibilities. You can't just talk yourself into a job or a promotion, and certainly not by thrashing the incumbent alone.

Now lets look at our elected politicians and system of government (Federal, Provincial and Municipal). We really have no such tests for elected officials. Just be nominated, meat deadlines, residency requirements and a few basic requirements - be nominated, meet residency and a few other basic requirement and you can run.

Cabinet ministers are appointed and shuffled from one portfolio to another with no particular experience in that portfolio. Senators are political appointments with less to do about qualifications. How well would private corporations do if run on those same lines. How long would they last given they are dependent on bottom line and not taxpayers to keep them afloat.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Qualifications of Elected Officials

Post by FreeRights »

Rosemary1 wrote:Before you are offered a job or promotion in the corporate world and you will need to demonstrate skills, ability, education and training and demonstrated experience and success appropriate and relevant to the position and responsibilities. You can't just talk yourself into a job or a promotion, and certainly not by thrashing the incumbent alone.

Now lets look at our elected politicians and system of government (Federal, Provincial and Municipal). We really have no such tests for elected officials. Just be nominated, meat deadlines, residency requirements and a few basic requirements - be nominated, meet residency and a few other basic requirement and you can run.

Cabinet ministers are appointed and shuffled from one portfolio to another with no particular experience in that portfolio. Senators are political appointments with less to do about qualifications. How well would private corporations do if run on those same lines. How long would they last given they are dependent on bottom line and not taxpayers to keep them afloat.

Interesting thread. Hoping it'll get some good discussion.

Qualifications would be good, in a sense, for a politician, but I wonder what kind of qualifications would even be relevant. I think experience would be the most useful, and you get that only from politics.

Some people denounce career politicians, but I think that they can be some of the most experienced, capable leaders and appointed party members you can get because they understand how it works. Politics and political leadership is definitely not as similar to corporate management as one might think.

I think appointing specialized ministers can be a good idea, but could be difficult as well. For example, the Minister of National Defense could have "national defense" qualifications. Maybe preference would go to retired generals and CDS, but now you're looking at potential questions regarding subjectivity. A Minister is to do what's right for their sector, but they have to do what's right for the government as well. They hire advisers who know their way around.

I think that a lot of these Ministerial positions may not necessarily need qualification, but rather just solid leadership. Objectivity is important, and advisers can be in place, and they should lead and make decisions.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Rosemary1 ...

Truer words were never spoken. It is one of the weaknesses of the Democratic system of government. That and rewarding financial supporters.

I have heard that there are some countries who reqire that a person who wants to run for office take and pass a two year course before they are permitted to run but I have never actually reasearched the matter.

I for one would fully suport such a requirement in Canada but I think that a lot of consideration would have to be given to determining a curriculum for such a course.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I was an elected official at one time. I had no experience and the learning curve was huge. So what is your suggestion in how we can fix this. I'm not too certain that I would like a cookie cutter university graduate with little to no life experience running anything. Those who run for office have a thankless job and as much as I like to beat up on them from time to time they should have known that was going to happen when they signed on, I know I did and I look back at my time with pride.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To mr.bandaid ...

As a person who has "been there" your comments are appreciated. As a taxpayer though I wonder how much your "learning" curve cost me and whether efficiency was part of your learning curve.

Also to what degree the civil service were instrumental in "keeping your ship afloat", especially during the sometimes protracted, learning curve.

I find the learning curve that is presently going on in Alberta with he NDP extremely expensive in that everyone is more or less on hold waiting for decisions from the top that the newly elected and appointed leaders are not yetin a position to make.

As an example this years (2015) detiled budget may not even be available until this fall because it has to be authorized by the elected Financial people who, at the moment are still trying to figure everything out and are lacking the experience to do so in a hurry.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:I find the learning curve that is presently going on in Alberta with he NDP extremely expensive in that everyone is more or less on hold waiting for decisions from the top that the newly elected and appointed leaders are not yetin a position to make.

According to Donald it's perfectly acceptable for Harper to claim that there's nothing the federal government can do about the economic crisis in the energy sector because it's a worldwide situation, but it's not OK for the newly elected Alberta government to have a solution to the global economic crisis in the energy sector because they happen to be NDP..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Donald G wrote:To mr.bandaid ...

As a person who has "been there" your comments are appreciated. As a taxpayer though I wonder how much your "learning" curve cost me and whether efficiency was part of your learning curve.

Also to what degree the civil service were instrumental in "keeping your ship afloat", especially during the sometimes protracted, learning curve.

I find the learning curve that is presently going on in Alberta with he NDP extremely expensive in that everyone is more or less on hold waiting for decisions from the top that the newly elected and appointed leaders are not yetin a position to make.

As an example this years (2015) detiled budget may not even be available until this fall because it has to be authorized by the elected Financial people who, at the moment are still trying to figure everything out and are lacking the experience to do so in a hurry.

It cost the taxpayers less that $20,000.00 with no pension promises for the position. That was for 3 years of my life and hours of work, pretty good deal I think.
So if I follow your way of thinking every party should be able to pick up where the other left off and it will be seamless. Maybe in your world but the reality is, it takes time to sift through the previous parties files and actually determine what you can do. Some things you can effect change others are written pretty much in stone. A person who actually spent time in a position (elected) would know this, those who don't sit on the side lines tossing insults because they didn't get what they wanted.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Hurtlander ...

That would be a complete misinterpretation of what I said. Since I have said that the NDP leader in Alberta was, by far, the best of the leaders available and the fact that Alberta is where I have the closest ties to what is going on at any given time is why I used Alberta to respond to mr.bandaids comments.

In no way do I associate the just left of center brand of NDP in Alberta with the far left brand of NDP in Ottawa. I would expect that the Alberta NDP party will actually try to distance themselves from the FAR further left version of the NDP in Ottawa and on this string.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To mr.bandaid ...

Since I have not taken ANY position in relation to the best system to place or replace elected officials I do not understand your last comment. And as far as the cost of a learning curve goes my questionthat I had hoped you would address was the expense of having the long delay in the Government continuing on its path until after the sometimes lengthy learning curve, which I know that Alberta is working its way through at the moment. Nothing to do with any particular party and certainly nothing to do with you personally.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Since I have not taken ANY position in relation to the best system to place or replace elected officials I do not understand your last comment. And as far as the cost of a learning curve goes my questionthat I had hoped you would address was the expense of having the long delay in the Government continuing on its path until after the sometimes lengthy learning curve, which I know that Alberta is working its way through at the moment. Nothing to do with any particular party and certainly nothing to do with you personally.

I thought that I had addressed it. You can't just jump in and do whatever you want. There is a lot to absorb from a government that has been in power for over 40 years. It will take some time. I guess you're probably thinking it would happen over night. With your hate of the NDP (which I am no way a supporter of) i would suggest that even if they did get right to work effecting some changes that you would then say they were going to fast. With a couple of the posters on here it will never be a win win situation.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

mr.bandaid ...

I am afrid you are wrong again about my political affiliation. Life is far too short to hate anyone for their politics.

I have twice voted NDP provincially; Once when Dave Barett was the leader and once when VanderZalm ran the first time.I also wrote blogs and articles in several Alberta pubications in favour of Knotley once she made it clear that she was willing to move her NDP party to middle ground. For years her family lived on the first farm on the right as you cross the Dunvegan bridge, very near my home town. Her father was the only NDP MLA for a number of years. Enough said.

Federally I can't see that the NDP have ever presented a viable option to the Liberals and Conservatives. The present election is no different. At present I see Prime Minister Harper as, by far, the best option available to lead Canada for the next four years based on a lot of things.

I disliked the far left wing liberal policies and legislation passed by Trudeau Sr (especially regarding the justice system and reinterpretation of our Canadian Bill of Rights) and, from what I have heard ans seen Trudeau Jr is merely a political clone of his far left wing liberal father.

As already proven by this and the other political threads Mulcair and the NDP again can not get their act together to run a campaign, let alone run a government.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Donald G wrote:mr.bandaid ...

I am afrid you are wrong again about my political affiliation. Life is far too short to hate anyone for their politics.

I have twice voted NDP provincially; Once when Dave Barett was the leader and once when VanderZalm ran the first time.I also wrote blogs and articles in several Alberta pubications in favour of Knotley once she made it clear that she was willing to move her NDP party to middle ground. For years her family lived on the first farm on the right as you cross the Dunvegan bridge, very near my home town. Her father was the only NDP MLA for a number of years. Enough said.

Federally I can't see that the NDP have ever presented a viable option to the Liberals and Conservatives. The present election is no different. At present I see Prime Minister Harper as, by far, the best option available to lead Canada for the next four years based on a lot of things.

I disliked the far left wing liberal policies and legislation passed by Trudeau Sr (especially regarding the justice system and reinterpretation of our Canadian Bill of Rights) and, from what I have heard ans seen Trudeau Jr is merely a political clone of his far left wing liberal father.

As already proven by this and the other political threads Mulcair and the NDP again can not get their act together to run a campaign, let alone run a government.

Well I hope you meant you voted against Vanderzalm as he was Social Credit and not NDP. That is not clear in your statement. Which ever you meant we will never know now that someone has corrected you.
I don't think Trudeau Jr. is anything like his dad. JT seems approachable where PT was an arrogant jerk of a man more interested in being in the tabloids then in the Parliament, dressed like a pimp and was generally unlikable.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To mr.bandaid ...

Blood is thicker than water. Gambling that Trudeau Jr is different than his father is a gamble I am not willing to take with Canada's and my sons' future. There is far too much at stake given the changes that are taking place all over the world that affect Canada and to which Canada must respond.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Blood is thicker than water. Gambling that Trudeau Jr is different than his father is a gamble I am not willing to take with Canada's and my sons' future. There is far too much at stake given the changes that are taking place all over the world that affect Canada and to which Canada must respond.

Well good for you. Vote for the dumb *bleep* with the worst record ever as a Canadian Prime Minister then. My vote will cancel yours out.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To mr.bandaid ...

You mean that dumb assed Prime Minister that the majority of Canadians elected to lead Canada for the last ten years ??

The Prime Minister that the majority of Canadians voted to lead Canada in each of the last three consecutive elections ??

The Prime Minister that Governs the Country that is the envy of most of the rest of the world leaders ??

Yes that is the dumb assed highly experienced and qualified Prime Minister that I will be working and voting for unless something very significant happens between now and election day.

PS It is not possible to cancel another persons vote in a three of four party system.

Return to “Political Arena”