CON majority

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: CON majority

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:More Conrad Black blather.

The NDP did not lose any votes to the Conservatives.

In fact, they had the highest seat win ever,
    before the Quebec Bloc anomaly of the last election.

The switch voters hated Harper and just read the polls.
    His historical narrative will be quite negative. Joe Clark
    was useless as a PM...same story

No surprise that Urbane likes CB. Urb is actually a Conservative..
    Go ahead...tell us how ya voted.
I'd say that the ANOMALY, George, was the 2011 election and the NDP have now settled back to their third party status where they belong. I've made no secret as to how I voted, i.e LIBERAL, and yes I find Conrad Black worth reading. He's something of an eclectic politician who wrote an excellent book about FDR (and praised him) and he's been very critical of a number of Harper's actions. He endorsed Trudeau and the Liberals in the election as well. He's not an NDP'er so of course you would label his writing "blather" but you should actually try reading him with an open mind.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

George+ wrote:More Conrad Black blather.

The NDP did not lose any votes to the Conservatives.

In fact, they had the highest seat win ever,
    before the Quebec Bloc anomaly of the last election.

The switch voters hated Harper and just read the polls.
    His historical narrative will be quite negative. Joe Clark

No surprise that Urbane likes CB. Urb is actually a Conservative..
    Go ahead...tell us how ya voted.

Urbane wrote:I'd say that the ANOMALY, George, was the 2011 election and the NDP have now settled back to their third party status where they belong. I've made no secret as to how I voted, i.e LIBERAL, and yes I find Conrad Black worth reading. He's something of an eclectic politician who wrote an excellent book about FDR (and praised him) and he's been very critical of a number of Harper's actions. He endorsed Trudeau and the Liberals in the election as well. He's not an NDP'er so of course you would label his writing "blather" but you should actually try reading him with an open mind.

2011 Election was unusual:
Quebec was not going to vote for either Ignatieff or Duceppe, so the only 2 left was Harper or Layton. Pretty well the only Conservative Quebec ever voted for was Mulroney, Harper never had a chance in Quebec.

So NDP support/votes in Quebec was more of a rejection then actual support.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George has made it clear that he detests the Liberals and sees them as just other conservatives so when he talks about uniting the left/centre he's really asking Liberals to give up and join the NDP. George is right when he acknowledges the huge chasm between the NDP and the Liberals so he's simply hoping that the Liberals, with much more support in the country (and having just formed a majority government) than the NDP, will just fold and become NDP'ers. We all know that isn't going to happen. Anyway, after the 2011 anomaly the NDP is back where it belongs - on the outside looking in.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Urbane wrote:George has made it clear that he detests the Liberals and sees them as just other conservatives so when he talks about uniting the left/centre he's really asking Liberals to give up and join the NDP. George is right when he acknowledges the huge chasm between the NDP and the Liberals so he's simply hoping that the Liberals, with much more support in the country (and having just formed a majority government) than the NDP, will just fold and become NDP'ers. We all know that isn't going to happen. Anyway, after the 2011 anomaly the NDP is back where it belongs - on the outside looking in.

Hmmm……. a name for that Party, okay this should be prefect for George…… Liberal Democrats

How for this to actual happen would be around the same time pigs grew wings & flew. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote: Joe Clark

watch it George. Normally your blather is just harmless babbling of a lunatic, but dem's fighting words. You leave Joe Clark out of this.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:He's not an NDP'er so of course you would label his writing "blather" but you should actually try reading him with an open mind.

George won't read Conrad Black's book until the BCTF sends him an email telling him he has to.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:George has made it clear that he detests the Liberals and sees them as just other conservatives so when he talks about uniting the left/centre he's really asking Liberals to give up and join the NDP. George is right when he acknowledges the huge chasm between the NDP and the Liberals so he's simply hoping that the Liberals, with much more support in the country (and having just formed a majority government) than the NDP, will just fold and become NDP'ers. We all know that isn't going to happen. Anyway, after the 2011 anomaly the NDP is back where it belongs - on the outside looking in.

Totally agree. It was actually disappointing that the leftist pin-heads on Vancouver Island gave the NDP all of those seats, it would have been nice to see them finish under 40 seats, which is their natural position.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Actually, Urbane...I like the federal Liberals which
you did not vote for. You are such a Con.

And you voted for the provincial Cons. that call themselves Liberals. Sad.

Now who is getting conned?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Conrad Black has no credibility with Rational Canadians.

He is about as right wing as you can get...no matter who he endorses.
And the same for Barbara Amiel.

Glad they are both gone but actually more evidence of where
Urbane really comes from.

We have seen it hundreds of times, now.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Actually, Urbane...I like the federal Liberals which
    you did not vote for. You are such a Con.

And you voted for the provincial Cons. that call themselves Liberals. Sad.

Now who is getting conned?
Well, it's rather silly to get into a debate with you as to how I cast my vote. I've said for a long time now that I was going to vote Liberal in the federal election and urged others to vote Liberal too. I provided my reasons for not voting Conservative as well. Yes, I voted Liberal in the last provincial election. I certainly wasn't about to vote NDP.

Conrad Black has no credibility with Rational Canadians.

He is about as right wing as you can get...no matter who he endorses.
And the same for Barbara Amiel.

Glad they are both gone but actually more evidence of where
Urbane really comes from.

We have seen it hundreds of times, now.

For you "rational Canadians" are NDP'ers and you're quite right that most NDP'ers probably wouldn't be interested in what Conrad Black has to say. Too bad though because he does have an impressive grasp of history and his political beliefs are far more eclectic than you give him credit for. Conrad Black wrote a book about Franklin D. Roosevelt and heaped praise on him. He's called him one of the greatest American presidents in history. And as you know he endorsed Trudeau and the LIberals in the federal election and provided his reasons why Harper had to go. No, he's not an NDP'er but what a shame that you can't be a bit more eclectic in your own views.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Right.
FDR was the greatest U.S. president and,
a great Democrat.

If you really read much of Black or Amiel you would know
how right wing they really are, along with you.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Right.
    FDR was the greatest U.S. president and,
    a great Democrat.

If you really read much of Black or Amiel you would know
    how right wing they really are, along with you.
Well I certainly won't argue that Conrad Black is left-wing but if you look at what he has to say about long prison sentences, the criminal justice system in general, the niqab controversy, and the revoking of citizenship for those involved with terrorism it's hard to say that he's that far right. But your obsession with left/right politics reminds me of one of the big reasons that I voted Liberal. We should be looking for the best ideas and not discount them because they're perceived to be from a particular part of the political spectrum. I'm a centrist who always looks for good ideas from wherever they come.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

watch it George. Normally your blather is just harmless babbling of a lunatic, but dem's fighting words. You leave Joe Clark out of this.

joe clark was a fool
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I remember Joe Clark well..took 6 months to get
a cabinet of Cons. together.....somewhat understandable,
looking at the talent...like John Crosby.

So, Urb..you have never voted Conservative...yeah right.

Centrists are really fence sitters who like to vote with the polls. Did you, again?

Both Amiel and Black once wrote columns that were way right of even you!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

George+ wrote:So, Urb..you have never voted Conservative...yeah right.

*removed* Urbane is centre right (and obviously closer to the centre than you are), which means he would chose the Conservatives over the NDP, and when the Liberals suck like in 2011, then he ends up voting Conservative.
Last edited by ferri on Oct 27th, 2015, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Political Arena”