Strategic voting pitfalls

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
logicalview
Guru

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by logicalview »

Is anyone else surprised by this? Leadnow unmasked as just another arm of the NDP, wow never saw that coming. Apologies to Merry for not putting half of this article in big red bold letters, as apparently that's how you are supposed to cut and paste articles.

Leadnow accused of pro-NDP bias, conflict of interest

Organization defends its endorsement of Vancouver Granville candidate Mira Oreck

Leadnow, the highest-profile organization raising money and recruiting volunteers to encourage “strategic voting” aimed at defeating Prime Minister Stephen Harper, has been accused of a pro-NDP bias and an apparent conflict of interest.

That charge came after Leadnow endorsed on Thursday the NDP’s Mira Oreck over Liberal Jody Wilson-Raybould in Vancouver Granville, even though most current polling data suggests they are either in a statistical tie or that the Liberal has a clear lead.

The executive-director of Leadnow is Lyndsay Poaps, a Vancouver resident who is the founder of Frontrunner, a candidate school for young women. Oreck is a volunteer with that organization and the two are friends, Poaps confirmed in an interview.

One Vancouver Granville resident, who voted NDP in the 2011 election and plans to vote strategically for the Liberals on Monday, said Leadnow may be confusing voters due to an NDP bias.

The organization’s canvassers, who went to her door in August when the NDP had a big lead in B.C., said she was told residents should vote strategically to oust Harper and that Oreck was the best choice, according to Bernadine Bolton.

Now that momentum has switched to Justin Trudeau’s Liberals, she’s wondering if the endorsement of Oreck could confuse voters and split the anti-Harper vote.

“It makes me very concerned,” said Bolton, who wrote to the Elections Canada returning officer Thursday to register her concerns about fairness and the Poaps-Oreck connection.

“I just want things to be fair. This is a very important election for us. I want people to be informed, and there’s a lot of confusion out there.”

Bolton’s letter of complaint said Leadnow is purporting to be an “independent and non-partisan” organization trying to defeat Harper, yet is releasing information “that appears skewed in favour of the NDP candidate (who) may have strong ties to Leadnow.”

Another riding resident and a Liberal campaign volunteer, Dale Hunter, said in an email to The Sun: “None of this passes the sniff test.”

But Jean-Pierre Kingsley, Canada’s former chief electoral officer, said there’s no apparent violation as long as Leadnow, a registered third party in this campaign, stays within rules which, for instance, don’t allow per-riding spending in excess of $8,788.22.

Poaps, who said canvassers did not endorse candidates prior to the organization making an endorsement, rejected the notion her organization is showing favouritism.

She said that, based on their own recent poll showing Oreck and Wilson-Raybould are in a statistical tie, they left it to the 5,400 people who signed up with Leadnow to participate in strategic voting.

Roughly 2,000 responded to the email survey, with the overwhelming majority saying they believe Leadnow should endorse a candidate.

Of those who cast a vote, 61 per cent favoured Oreck and 39 per cent Wilson-Raybould.

The survey included the Liberal and NDP positions that Poaps said are important to her organization. That list noted that Trudeau has “ruled out working with the NDP and Greens” on a coalition or formal agreement to govern, whereas the NDP’s Mulcair has said he’s open to that idea.

It also said the Liberals have said they will “study” different electoral reform options, whereas the NDP has vowed to “pass proportional representation electoral reform.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/leadno ... z3oljzBwfR
Not afraid to say "It".
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

logicalview wrote:Is anyone else surprised by this? Leadnow unmasked as just another arm of the NDP, wow never saw that coming. Apologies to Merry for not putting half of this article in big red bold letters, as apparently that's how you are supposed to cut and paste articles.

Leadnow accused of pro-NDP bias, conflict of interest

I just looked at their list, and I noticed two things right off the bat. First, they endorsed Lyin' Fin Donnelly, and 2nd, they have not release who to vote for in West Van and North Van, when we all know that the Liberals have a massive lead.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Why the hell would any organization continue to support
the Liberal party that is NOT cooperating with them?

In fact the Lieberals are actively campaigning in ridings
where they had agreed to support the second place NDP candidate.

They have assumed a majority, and laid on the patronage.

Monday just may be a surprise for them.
SoyChai
Fledgling

Post by SoyChai »

Surprise George+ !!!! :)
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

One thing for sure, we no longer can make fun of the Americans and Donald Trump, we have our own moron in power now.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

rookie314 wrote:One thing for sure, we no longer can make fun of the Americans and Donald Trump, we have our own moron in power now.

So, you're saying Stephen Harper was beaten to a pulp by a moron?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rookie314 wrote:One thing for sure, we no longer can make fun of the Americans and Donald Trump, we have our own moron in power now.

lol our version of trump got booted out of power , whatch you talkin bout willis ?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It looks like Albas will win a squeaker in Central Okanagan - Similkameen - Nicola and I wonder how many Liberal supporters took the faulty advice to vote NDP as part of the strategic voting campaign. I think back to the results of the study that I posted a few weeks ago that talked about strategic voting backfiring and it may have in this case.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Strategic voting unseated Ron Cannan. Many voted Liberal that would have normally voted NDP based on the ABC movement.

Don't have to worry about that anymore. FPTP is on its way out now.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Atomoa wrote:Don't have to worry about that anymore. FPTP is on its way out now.

Time will tell. Winning a strong majority because of FPTP could give the new Prime Minister a change of heart.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Urbane wrote:It looks like Albas will win a squeaker in Central Okanagan - Similkameen - Nicola and I wonder how many Liberal supporters took the faulty advice to vote NDP as part of the strategic voting campaign. I think back to the results of the study that I posted a few weeks ago that talked about strategic voting backfiring and it may have in this case.

it worked on van isle.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I wasn't going to vote at all because I hate the system & don't care for the choices available. But the day before I looked into vote swapping, and went for it. I voted Lib here for someone in Ontario, who voted NDP (best chance to beat the Cons there) and it worked out for both sides.

In essence, I hate the system & players, so I kinda cheated it so that a total idiot could get kicked out in favour of a goof.
Your bias suits you.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Woodenhead wrote: ..., so I kinda cheated it so that a total idiot could get kicked out .

and this morning the vast majority of your fellow Canadians thank you for doing your part.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

steven lloyd wrote:and this morning the vast majority of your fellow Canadians thank you for doing your part.

39.5% of them, anyway.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

In Kelowna Lake Country the NDP actually doubled their vote.

The Greens may have been part of the Liberal win.

But the vast majority were actuall deserting, former, Conservative voters.

Who'd have thunk?

Return to “Political Arena”