Liberal win in Lake Country/Kelowna

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
squirt10

Liberal win in Lake Country/Kelowna

Post by squirt10 »

Cannan seat lost
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Liberal win in Lake Country/Kelowna

Post by Atomoa »

I am surprised and pleased to see the Conservatives unseated in the ultra safe Conservative riding.

I voted strategically and was one of a few thousand that made the difference. Good to see Kelowna embracing the future.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

It's almost surreal that a Con lost in that riding. I love it. For years I've thought you could run a monkey in that riding and win so long as it were a Conservative monkey. I'm very happy and encouraged to be wrong.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
VitC
Fledgling

Post by VitC »

That is the cherry on top. A very pleasant surprise. What is more shocking is hardly anyone here discussing this. It is figuratively an earth moving event!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

VitC wrote:That is the cherry on top. A very pleasant surprise. What is more shocking is hardly anyone here discussing this. It is figuratively an earth moving event!

I think the Liberal support throughout the interior of BC was very surprising. According the NDP backed Leadnow, the NDP was clearly ahead of the Liberals, but the Liberals beat the NDP in Okanagan-Shuswap, Kamloops, and Prince George-Cariboo. No one predicted this. Leadnow obviously was there to distort the results to backstab the Liberals in their polling results, but still no one predicted this.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Yes, unfortunately I think we lost a very good MLA due to his leader. Whatever we think of Harper, Cannon has served his riding well. I hope Fuhr is as good as Cannon has been and I wish them both well.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well said, Goatboy. It's easy to dehumanize with hatred good decent human beings. I was also disheartened with some of the mean comments directed at Muclair. Can people not understand how the man must be feeling tonight?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Glacier wrote:It's easy to dehumanize with hatred good decent human beings.

That good human being stood with Stephen Harper as he kicked up the ugliest, racist sentiments possible this election campaign. Old white immigrants against new brown immigrants.

I'm tired of hearing how Ron Cannan was a nice guy. Who cares? His professional job was being a Harper yes-man and he voted the party line right to the end. He supported Stephen Harper 100%. You are the company you keep. There was no room for individuality in the current CPC so citing "what type of person he is" always seemed ridiculous to me.

Really looking forward to seeing what Fuhr does locally.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Maybe its not enough anymore to win over seniors or displaced prairie folk in Kelowna, demos change.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I'm tired of hearing how Ron Cannan was a nice guy. Who cares? His professional job was being a Harper yes-man and he voted the party line right to the end. He supported Stephen Harper 100%. You are the company you keep.

Couldn't agree more. I recall we did elect PC monkeys in this riding (Werner Schmidt anyone?) so it's incredible that Fuhr has won and Karley Scott came close.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

jimmy4321 wrote:Maybe its not enough anymore to win over seniors or displaced prairie folk in Kelowna, demos change.

I know right! It's not like there's other, different demographics in the Okanagan haha. I was so glad to see the younger generation getting interested in this election, and getting out and voting. I know this was my first time voting (at 25 yrs old).
hail Satan y'all
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Atomoa wrote:
That good human being stood with Stephen Harper as he kicked up the ugliest, racist sentiments possible this election campaign. Old white immigrants against new brown immigrants.

I'm tired of hearing how Ron Cannan was a nice guy. Who cares? His professional job was being a Harper yes-man and he voted the party line right to the end. He supported Stephen Harper 100%. You are the company you keep. There was no room for individuality in the current CPC so citing "what type of person he is" always seemed ridiculous to me.

It was decency that makes me agree with goatboy, but you are also correct. Everyone knows the cons were a very tightly reigned in group, with little to no free speech. You towed that Harper line, or there'd be hell to pay, (your job). Cannan did stick it out till the end, where he went down with the ship.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:
I voted strategically and was one of a few thousand that made the difference. Good to see Kelowna embracing the future.

Wait a minute. Weren't you bleating on here endlessly about how no real change would occur unless everyone voted NDP? Now here you are voting Liberal? Hypocrite much?
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:
I'm tired of hearing how Ron Cannan was a nice guy. Who cares?

A lot of people care. A lot more than care that you are tired of hearing about it, which is no one.

His professional job was being a Harper yes-man and he voted the party line right to the end. He supported Stephen Harper 100%. You are the company you keep. There was no room for individuality in the current CPC so citing "what type of person he is" always seemed ridiculous to me.

And the professional job of Fuhr will be as Trudeau yes-man, and he will vote the party line right to the end too. He will support Trudeau 100%. Because if he doesn't, he'll be out of a job, as the leader of the party controls who runs in each riding, a law put in by Justin's daddy in 1970. There will be no room for individuality in the current or future LPC so citing what type of person he is makes a big difference. I've never met him, but I am sure he is a great guy, and will work hard for the Okanagan. Most MP's do, regardless of which party elected them, because that's their job, and they want to keep it.

I am too, but I don't expect it will be much different than what Ron Cannan did. And that's fine by me, as Ron did a really good job.
Not afraid to say "It".
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Liberal Fuhr was elected by deserting Conservatives.

NDP actually received twice as many votes as last election.

Que sera...the universe is unfolding...

Return to “Political Arena”