It's a New Day for Canada

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: It's a New Day for Canada

Post by George+ »

National Post....hmmm...

The Senate has voted at least a hundred times to have
more control over senators....Did NOT work!
Got Duffy etc..

Dump the senate...save a hundred million, at least.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:National Post....hmmm...

The Senate has voted at least a hundred times to have
    more control over senators....Did NOT work!
    Got Duffy etc..

Dump the senate...save a hundred million, at least.
The article was written by Andrew Coyne and while it appeared in the National Post (so what?) it should be noted that Andrew Coyne voted for the NDP candidate in his riding. I still like Coyne though ;-)

Anyway, I'm not in favour of abolishing the Senate and as we all know, or should know, abolishing the Senate is virtually impossible. So why not concentrate on doing something realistic? Reform the Senate. That won't be an easy task but it is achievable.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

You can call them " Independents" but they are still partisan hacks.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Urbane wrote: ..., I'm not in favour of abolishing the Senate and as we all know, or should know, abolishing the Senate is virtually impossible. So why not concentrate on doing something realistic? Reform the Senate. That won't be an easy task but it is achievable.

The Senate plays an important role in our politics; or at least it should. Obviously a history of patronage appointments has sullied its reputation and image, and thereby its effectiveness seen as little more than a partisan stamp. Reform of the Senate (Ideally elected Senators in my opinion) is desperately needed. I'm glad we finally have a PM with the integrity and open-mindedness to look into and consider the issue of reform, and seek understanding of the provinces.

Our new guy is everything Harper was not. Congratulations to everyone who got to a polling station and voted
- especially the two thirds of them who voted to have the Harper regime come to its long overdue ending.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote:
Our new guy is everything Harper was not. .

Just as its too early to condemn Justin, it's far too early to say that he'll be everything Harper was not. During the election, Trudeau was every bit as draconian in controlling the Liberal nominations in various ridings, and angering various constituencies for his meddling (a practice brought in by his dad in 1970). While it's true 2/3 didn't vote for Harper, 60% of Canadians didn't vote for Trudeau either, though for some reason, this seems cool with everyone, while in 2011 it was the crime of the century because Harper was elected with the same percentage of the votes. It's all in the perspective.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The Green Barbarian wrote: While it's true 2/3 didn't vote for Harper, 60% of Canadians didn't vote for Trudeau either, though for some reason, this seems cool with everyone, while in 2011 it was the crime of the century because Harper was elected with the same percentage of the votes. It's all in the perspective.

That may all well be true Mr. Barbarian, but unlike the last election I think most of us know that in this last election it was all about changing the current government; and whether a Liberal, NDP or Green supporter I am quite confident that two out of three Canadian voters would agree it was a good day when Harper was removed from the office of Prime Minister.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote:That may all well be true Mr. Barbarian, but unlike the last election I think most of us know that in this last election it was all about changing the current government; and whether a Liberal, NDP or Green supporter I am quite confident that two out of three Canadian voters would agree it was a good day when Harper was removed from the office of Prime Minister.

Time will tell. It always does.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Political Arena”