Trudeau invites premiers to Paris climate talks

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Trudeau invites Premiers to Paris climate talks.

Post by maryjane48 »

lol if you want to remain in the rearview mirror thats fine
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Believe this is from the same University....

"The skeptics who frequently deny the reality of climate change in the world’s media lack all scientific credibility, charge three eminent Australian researchers who have just been listed among the world’s 20 most influential scientists in the field of climate change.

Marine researchers Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, Professor Terry Hughes and Professor John Pandolfi were ranked in the world’s top 20 by the international science citation analysts Thomson Reuters and ScienceWatch, for the decade 1999-2009. All three are coral reef researchers, members of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies (CoECRS).

However, they warn, many self-proclaimed climate skeptics have never conducted any authentic climate research nor had it peer-reviewed by the world scientific community and published in respected journals.

The three researchers are urging the Australian and international media to be far more cautious in accepting views about climate change put by people whose work has not been subject to rigorous scientific scrutiny and peer-review – and to question the motives behind it.

Professors Hoegh-Guldberg, Hughes and Pandolfi (ranked 3, 7 and 17 in the world respectively) have published extensively in the world scientific literature, in particular on the impacts of climate change on the world’s coral reefs, fish and ocean ecosystems, and on the appropriate management responses to human-related climate change.

Collectively, their research papers on climate change have been cited by over 5000 other scientific publications, giving their work a powerful influence over the thinking of other researchers globally, who then cited it in their own peer-reviewed reports.

Professor Hoegh-Guldberg, Director of the Global Change Institute at The University of Queensland, is a co-author of the world’s most cited paper on climate change, the 2002 Nature report, "Ecological responses to recent climate change" (G.R. Walther et al., Nature 416: 389-95, 2002), which has now been cited about 1,100 times.

The US National Center for Atmospheric Research is ranked as the world’s most cited institution. Its most cited paper – the 2003 Science report, “Climate change, human impacts and the resilience of coral reefs“ – was co-authored by an international team including Professors Hughes, Hoegh-Guldberg and Pandolfi (T.P. Hughes et al., Science 302: 1503-1504, 2003)

“There are no climate skeptics among the coral reef science and management community, because we have seen first-hand the damage caused to reefs in response to the global warming that has already occurred. The evidence for man-made climate change is unequivocal,” says CoECRS director, Professor Hughes

“Our focus now is to move beyond the gloom, doom and denial, and look for practical solutions that will limit the damage from climate change.”

Professor Hoegh-Guldberg said: “The evidence emerging from both ocean and atmospheric science makes it increasingly clear that humanity is going to have to get atmospheric CO2 levels back down to 350 parts per million or less, if we are to avoid major impacts on the planet and everything that lives on it.

“It is good that Australian science is playing a significant role in this global awakening – and Australians generally can support their science by demanding greater urgency and more action from their governments and political parties.”

CoECRS principal researcher Professor Pandolfi from The University of Queensland, said: “We are entering a new era in the history of environmental change on our planet: dramatic changes in climate coupled with massive degradation from overexploitation and pollution continue to threaten the foundations of many ecosystems.

“By showing that these linked threats are unprecedented in the Earth's long history, we are drawing a line in the sand for immediate and substantial action to promote the rehabilitation and recovery of ecosystem goods and services.”"

More information:
Professor Terry Hughes, CoECRS and JCU, +61 (0)7 4781 4222 or 0400 720 164
Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, CoECRS and GCI, UQ, ph +61 (0)7 334 51156
Jan King, UQ Communications Manager, +61 (0)7 3365 1120
Rob Mackay-Wood, GCI Communications Manager, ph +61 (0)7 334 69041, +61 410491159
Jenny Lappin, CoECRS, +61 (0)7 4781 4222
Jim O’Brien, James Cook University Media Office, +61 (0)7 4781 4822 or 0418 892449
http://www.coralcoe.org

ENVIRONMENT + SUSTAINABILITY, GLOBAL CHANGE, RESEARCH

Picture: The Indo-Pacific region holds most of the world’s mangrove forests.
Rising seas will drown mangrove forests 15 October 2015
Dr Paul Dennis travelled to Antarctica for his research. Photo: Paul Dennis.
Antarctic fungal diversity blooms as continent warms 29 September 2015
ENVIRONMENT + SUSTAINABILITY, GLOBAL CHANGE, INDUSTRY COLLABORATION, INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS

A before and after image of the bleaching in American Samoa: XL Catlin Seaview Survey.
Great Barrier Reef corals facing fight for survival 8 October 2015
ENVIRONMENT + SUSTAINABILITY, GLOBAL CHANGE

Professor Saleem Ali
UQ joins UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network 1 October 2015
New combinations of resident and migrant species will present unprecedented challenges for conservation planning.
Warmer seas to bring big changes for marine life 26 August 2015

Climate engineering ‘might save coral reefs’ 25 May 2015
AGRICULTURE + FOOD, BUSINESS + ECONOMY, ENGINEERING + TECHNOLOGY, ENVIRONMENT + SUSTAINABILITY, GLOBAL CHANGE, INDUSTRY COLLABORATION, RESEARCH, INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS

Increased levels of CO2 in the ocean could alter the rate at which calcium carbonate dissolves in mussels, shell fish and other creatures.
Scientists warn: ocean near tipping point 3 July 2015
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

^^
Well George if you want to buy into the big business multi billion dollar scientific fear mongering by all means do so.
These scientist that are selling this science as fact have to much to lose financially and will continue to sell it as fact as long as their financial gravy train continues to be fed.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

That's not true. Scientists don't work create an agenda, they work to uncover the truth. It matters not whether their findings support or disprove their hypothesis, either way they are uncovering the truth. There will be need for climate scientists regardless of what findings they uncover.

Scientists aren't CEOs, they are not the people at the top raking in billions of dollars. They are employees. Our employees. The ones paid through our taxes anyways. Some of them are funded by other governments, some funded privately by universities. I don't know how it's anywhere near plausible to believe that thousands of scientists around the world, all belonging to their own respective states or organizations, are conspiring to steer the world in a wrong direction. That's a pretty unlikely scenario, there would be disagreements, there would be leaked documents left and right. There would be whistleblowers.

I find it far more likely that a few dozen executives would be capable of a massive conspiracy to further their own riches at the expense of the rest of the world. And this is supported by the numerous leaked documents and whistleblowers. We have direct evidence that Exxon hired scientists to investigate climate change, did not like the findings, and since spent millions of dollars to try and fund climate change denial.

"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

^^^
Scientist Confesses: "Global Warming a $22 Billion Scam"
To be clear . . . that’s $22 billion of taxpayers’ money . . . the amount that our government pays to stop the “global warming” epidemic.
That comes out to $41,856 every minute.
Or, to put it in perspective, that is twice as much as what our government spends on securing our borders.
Then, imagine this top U.S. intelligence agent turning to you, and asking for you to join him on a mission to out those involved in the “global warming” lie.
Doing so would cost a lot of money, a lot of time, and could cost you your reputation. But, pretending you never saw the document, and carrying on with your life, would allow the scandal to continue and actually put lives at risk.
So, imagine if you were at that table, and the scenario I just described happened to you.

My name is Tom Luongo, and I’ve recently had this exact experience.
In the following few pages, I am going to show you the alarming research in the document that was laid before me that night in Palm Beach.
I will tell you why this network of politicians, corporations, and scientists tried to hide this research . . . and how you can be part of a newly formed initiative with the aim of getting this research into the hands of every American.
This research proves, once and for all, that “global warming” is a sham . . . a sham perpetuated by a network of dirty government officials, greedy corporations, and bought-off “scientific” organizations.

How you respond will be up to you.
I can guarantee you one thing: After reading the next few pages, you will never look at government officials the same way . . . you will never trust what you hear in the media again . . . in fact, you will become skeptical of any and all authority figures going forward.
It’s unfortunate, but the betrayal you’re going to discover today runs very deep, and revealing the truth about “global warming” comes with great risk.
As a scientist for over 20 years, I’ve always upheld the truth.
I’ve worked with the University of Florida to do some amazing things . . . I’ve helped make crop yields more productive for third world countries . . . I helped create an intermetallic coating for gun barrels that dropped maintenance requirements on firearms by half . . . and I’ve helped cure diseases.
I have seen a lot of research go across my desk. But none of it can compare to the 164-page document that landed in front of me that night in Palm Beach.
That’s why I’m going to lay the facts from this document before you today, and then I’m going to ask that you join me, and the man who composed this document, on our mission to defund the “global warming” sham . . .
All it will take is a click of your mouse.
With one click, you’re going to put more momentum behind what I hope to be the largest effort . . . ever . . . to annihilate the “global warming” lie and defund the government’s multibillion-dollar spending frenzy to keep it alive.
Now, before we begin, I ask that you excuse any “rough” elements in this letter. What I’m sharing with you today is so urgent that I’ve made a huge effort to get the research in this 164-page document available to you as quickly as possible . . .
With President Obama’s recent speech about getting tougher on “global warming” issues I think it’s critical that we don’t waste a minute in getting this information out.
The sooner we get this information into the hands of the public . . . your hands . . . the more informed voters will be when they cast their ballots.
First, you should know who put this document in my hands — a man whom Al Gore is personally attacking . .

dieseluphammerdown
Guru

His Name Is John Casey
John is a former White House space program adviser, consultant to NASA headquarters, and space shuttle engineer. He is now one of America’s most successful climate change researchers and climate prediction experts.

In short, John is the very definition of a government insider. He spent 35 years conducting classified research, examining confidential documents, and directing critical scientific programs.
For example: In 1986, when the space shuttle Challenger tragically exploded, killing seven crew members, John testified before Congress on the cause of the accident. After the testimony, Congress instructed NASA headquarters to bring John in to chair a special internal investigation into why these critical systems failed.
Now, keep that in mind for a moment: Capitol Hill and NASA trusted John’s detailed analytical approach and his engineering credentials so much they asked him to investigate the cause of one of our nation’s greatest tragedies.
After 35 years of serving his country, John quietly retired in Florida. He planned on living peacefully, spending time with his wife, children, and grandkids.
When the space shuttle Challenger crashed in 1986, the U.S. government asked John Casey to investigate.
But on one April afternoon in 2007, John made an “unfortunate” discovery that changed everything.
The discovery would ultimately lead him to abandon his plans for retirement in order to support a cause that was bigger than himself . . . that was bigger than anything he had done in his 35-year career.
In fact, this discovery would result in him becoming hated by all those who once heralded him as their friend and adviser.
After this outright rejection, John realized that despite his science not changing, despite the thousands of pages of irrefutable data, and despite millions of lives at risk . . . he was alone.
The responsibility of letting the world know about this discovery rested solely on his shoulders, and those who would listen to him.
Indeed, what he has to say goes contrary to everything you have been told about “climate change.”
I initially rejected what John had to tell me. But when he showed me what was in his 164-page document, I couldn’t argue with him.
Facts are facts.
What John discovered that fateful afternoon was . .
'Global Warming' Is an Outright Sham

You see, John found evidence — buried right in the government’s own environmental studies — that destroys their argument for “global warming.”

Using their own data, John has proven, once and for all, “global warming” is a sham. And perhaps the most expensive — and lethal — sham in American history.

A sham that our government spends $22 billion a year financing. Think about that: our government spends $22 billion a year financing “global warming” initiatives.

Again, that’s almost double what the government spends on securing our borders.

Or, to break it down to real numbers . . .

That's $41,856 Every Minute!

But this is just the tip of the iceberg.

John’s research also uncovered a different looming cataclysm that will ruin every nation that’s not prepared . . . a calamity that has been accelerating for the last 17 years . . . and brewing for over 200 years.

This impending catastrophe is as natural as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. And just as unstoppable.

I’m talking about a tectonic shift in the world’s economies that will . . .
•Send oil to over $300 a barrel
•Cause food prices to triple and in some places make food completely unavailable
•Lead to violence erupting in the streets of your suburban neighborhood
•Cause governments to topple, nations to descend into chaos, and international wars to break out.

In the 164-page document John handed me, he went to great lengths to explain exactly how serious this crisis will be. It’s going to be worsened by the fact our politicians are bullheadedly ignoring it.
The result will be every American being blindsided . . . unable to see it coming because of Al Gore and his cronies preaching false dogma.
As I said before, I didn’t believe it either until I saw the evidence in John’s dossier. And even then, it took me hours of talking to John afterward to digest it.
John’s research has now been corroborated by 17 independent scientific individuals and organizations. These are some of the top scientific minds in the field of climate science . . . in the world.

George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Oh, please, please, please....

Do some scouting from both sides before
throwing names out that are totally unreliable...

https://www.yabberz.com/post/jacklynd-o ... t=84654048
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

George+ wrote:Oh, please, please, please....

Do some scouting from both sides before
throwing names out that are totally unreliable...

https://www.yabberz.com/post/jacklynd-o ... t=84654048
There only unreliable to you George because you have bought into the sham of global warming lock ,stock, and barrel.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Partmanpartfish wrote:Do you really think you help your shaky argument by posting the verbal diarrhea of a right wing crank published in a US hedge fund-owned declining wingnut newspaper?

I don't think any argument would convince the likes of you or Thinktank on anything. You're probably the only two people on the planet that think Rex Murphy is way out there. I did like the last line of his article:

"I’ll believe it’s a crisis when those who tell me it’s a crisis start acting like it’s a crisis. Q.E.D."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Trudeau invites premiers to Paris climate talks

Post by George+ »

Nope.

I believe that Rex Murphy is "way out there."

Ahhh the irony...Glacier...melting???!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

George+ wrote:I believe that Rex Murphy is "way out there."

Ha, ha, that does not surprise me in the slightest since most everyone else thinks you're way out there. ;)
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
highway001
Fledgling

Post by highway001 »

Credentials of lead researcher Rex was going after:

Career and education:
Full Professor, Toronto (1999-2009)
J. Tuzo Wilson Professor of Geophysics, Toronto (2001-2006)
Miller Visiting Professor, UC Berkeley (2003-2004)
Associate Professor, Toronto (1997-1999)
Assistant Professor, Toronto (1992-1997)

PDF, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (1991-1992)
Ph.D., Toronto (1991)
B.A.Sc. (Engineering Science), Toronto (1983)

Awards and honours
2007 Guggenheim Fellowship - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
2006 Augustus Love Medal - European Geosciences Union
2005 Fellow - American Geophysical Union
2004 Named, Director - Earth Systems Evolution Program, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
2004 Visiting Miller Professor, Earth & Planetary Science, University of California, Berkeley
2002 Young Explorer Prize - CIAR
2002 E. W. R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship, NSERC
2001 Steacie Prize in the Natural Sciences, National Research Council - Canada
2001 McLean Award, University of Toronto
2001 Named, J. Tuzo Wilson Professor of Geophysics, University of Toronto
2000 Rutherford Memorial Medal - Physics, Royal Society of Canada
1999 Premier's Research Excellence Award
1998 American Geophysical Union Editor's Citation for Excellence in Refereeing (Geophysical Research Letters)
1998 Outstanding Teaching Award, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, University of Toronto

Rex's Career and Education:
BA in English from Memorial University. He studied law at Oxford for one year, before returning to Newfoundland to start a Masters degree in English that he also never finished.

His career as a freelance journalist runs parallel with his side job of doing pro oil speaking engagments speaking engagements sponsored by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, Enbridge, TransCanada and Suncor

Yet George is way out there and I am the fanatic with the unwavering world view. Clearly Rex has a better understanding of the resesrch than Dr Mitrovica and his Harvard research team.

Thank goodness he's on a speaking tour to share his wisdom and save us from the highly educated publishing nonsense Harvard is famous for...
Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol rex needs lay off the scotch
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Here's the Liberals' rational approach to emissions targets (bold is mine):
The Liberals didn't set an emissions reduction target in their election platform, saying that would have to follow an economic and scientific analysis.

Here's the reaction of some environmental groups:
That, however, has led to criticism from some environmental groups who say the government doesn't appear to have a substantive plan heading into the Paris meetings.

This, to me, is an example of why we all need to think critically, and support our government taking a rational approach instead of supporting the narrative that insists we must all stay in full-crisis mode.

Here's the story: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-151441-4-.htm#151441. Note the part the media focuses on.The rest of what the minister says does give me some hope (again the bold is mine):
McKenna said in a Twitter post on Sunday "Canada agrees the science is indisputable, and we recognize the need for urgent/greater action that is grounded in robust science," adding "Our main goal is to make sure that all human beings can fulfil a healthy, safe sustainable life."
One would hope that as the increasingly robust science reveals more, the actions we take in response will be appropriate.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

"Healthy, full, sustainable life" sounds good to me.

But I will see you the above news story and raise ya with this one...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#151489

Return to “Political Arena”