Long census form

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Long census form

Post by Rosemary1 »

Good news government moving quickly on changes that are more easily and quickly implemented. Given critical importance of data, too bad the opportunity was not used to change the number of households given long form to fill kept to 1 in 5 households as in last time long form was used.

Bit puzzling for now is why the minister of Children and Family services was speaking to this. Not aware census is in his portfolio .

Possible sign of the times: reluctance to call a spade a spade when asked whether penalties still apply for not completing form. Both talked around it when all they needed was to say was 'yes'.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Long census form

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Bulk up the unionized public service as a payoff for the votes he received. Seems reasonable. Now get your wallet out and tell me how you're going to pay for this unnecessary extravagance.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Bulk up the unionized public service as a payoff for the votes he received. Seems reasonable. Now get your wallet out and tell me how you're going to pay for this unnecessary extravagance.

It cost 22 million more for the short census.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 5th, 2015, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Groove Tunes ...

Where did you get your comparative cost figures and what is the money spent on??
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

It was mentioned during the announcement. But now I found out that the shorter version was sent to more people then the longer one. If that cost 22 million more??
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

<snip> I asked Statistics Canada for an accounting of the cost of the 2011 short-form census and NHS as compared to the short-form census and long-form census in 2006. Here is the explanation that was provided.

The total budget for 2006 Census was $567M and for the 2011 Census and NHS, it was $660M which included supplementary funding of $30M. Supplementary funding of $30 million was allocated to cover the costs associated with increased questionnaire production and mail-out for both the Census and the National Household Survey and increased field follow-up. $22 million of the supplementary funding was spent. Statistics Canada returned $8 million to Treasury Board, so $652 million was spent.

If you adjust for inflation, the amount spent in 2006 is equal to about $623 million in 2011. By that measure, the 2011 census and NHS cost $29 million more. If you’d rather use the acknowledged supplementary funding, the 2011 census and NHS cost $22 million more. <snip>

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/ ... rm-census/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Bulk up the unionized public service as a payoff for the votes he received. Seems reasonable. Now get your wallet out and tell me how you're going to pay for this unnecessary extravagance.

Only a right winger would call the collection of data an unnecessary extravagance.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To oneh2obabe ...

I do not dispute your figures but, in the absence of a description of the methodology and resources used to complete the survey in each of the years noted, I do not see how the information can be very useful to a person interested in determining the value per dollar gained.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Donald, they aren't my figures. The info was provided by Statistics Canada. If you want a breakdown, contact them and see if they will supply same.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Stop it now.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Nov 5th, 2015, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

JLives wrote: Only a right winger would call the collection of data an unnecessary extravagance.

The very idea of a government thinking they should form policy based on actual evidence from research instead of ideology is bound to *bleep* off a few ideologues who think they have nothing left to learn. Imagine some of these folk suddenly operating from the notion they might be able to still discover something they didn't already know before. Yikes! Anarchy! Suddenly you have long-term Conservative supporters voting Liberal and the government is brought down. Where will it end?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Nov 5th, 2015, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic and adds nothing to the discussion.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

It's not like this was ever about money. It was always about throwing red meat to an elderly and unsophisticated Harper base. These poor, lost people have been convinced that statisticians, like climate scientists, are evil and out to hoax them.

It doesn't have to make sense. That's just what the conservative movement has sunk to.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Partmanpartfish wrote:It's not like this was ever about money. It was always about throwing red meat to an elderly and unsophisticated Harper base. These poor, lost people have been convinced that statisticians, like climate scientists, are evil and out to hoax them.

It doesn't have to make sense. That's just what the conservative movement has sunk to.

So then by this definition, the long-form census being brought back is just "red meat" for the idiot leftists? Really?
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Political Arena”