Tuesday, September 2nd10.9°C

John Cummins - How do you like him so far?

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: John Cummins - How do you like him so far?

Postby goatboy » Oct 11th, 2012, 11:32 am

Conservatives are done for this election. How can anybody think this party is capable of leading this province when they can't even get their own house in order? Probably the best news the Liberals could have hoped for.
goatboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby George+ » Oct 11th, 2012, 11:47 am

Perhaps a new leader coming along for the Cons.

I will go with van Dongen.
George+
Guru

Liked in: 169 posts

Postby goatboy » Oct 11th, 2012, 11:49 am

George+ wrote:Perhaps a new leader coming along for the Cons.

I will go with van Dongen.

Why, because he's the only Conservative you've ever heard of?
goatboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby George+ » Oct 11th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Maybe the only liberal Conservative?
Which Cummins certainly isn't.
George+
Guru

Postby George+ » Oct 30th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Good on Cummins for hanging in there.

Politics can be a very vicious business,

Just check the US of A election.
George+
Guru

Postby sooperphreek » Nov 10th, 2012, 1:42 pm

he is dangerous for the province. he is tied too closely to federal conservatives and therefore should be stopped at all costs.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 135 posts

Postby ScottSA » Nov 11th, 2012, 11:15 am

sooperphreek wrote:he is dangerous for the province. he is tied too closely to federal conservatives and therefore should be stopped at all costs.

Why is he "dangerous" for the province? Jobs are dangerous? Getting rid of the carbon tax is dangerous? Calling a Fall session so MLAs can examine spending is dangerous? What exactly do you find "dangerous" about Cummins?

As for being closely tied to the federal Conservatives, have you not noticed noticed how Christy - and not Cummins - is the one cosying up to Harper, or that a number of prominent CPC MPs and former MPs are siding with Christy?

Scott Anderson, BC Conservative Candidate, Vernon-Monashee
ScottSA

Liked in: 0 post

Postby sooperphreek » Nov 11th, 2012, 3:22 pm

conservatives are too cozy to "business" and help them exploit the citizens of the province who have to make up for the tax breaks that the right wings nutjobs always implement. our province has to create jobs other than what big business offers which is part time jobs or market uncompetitive. we need to have agriculture that can make money and isnt oppressed by crazy rules. we need to exploit our resources and make loads of money that can generate taxes. we need to have a business model in the province that the province doesnt just facilitate but invests the dead money they are sitting on. they are investing in things besides the province because the government isnt taxing them. either tax them or give them breaks for reinvesting that money back into the province. they should be jumping through more hoops to cash in. right now they have too much freedom in our prostituted free market system. if we truly had a free market then any industrious person could build up the economy with a viable small business. instead we have behemoths that swallow up the small competition and roll it into the freeloaders that are too big to fail. or we have small businesses that are just in it for appearances and tax breaks not driving the economy.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Postby ScottSA » Nov 11th, 2012, 4:51 pm

I'm afraid that doesn't help clear things up for me. I still don't know why you think the BC Conservatives are dangerous. Do you like paying the carbon tax? Do you like having our small farmers go out of business due to onerous farm gate legislation brought in by the Liberals? Do you like having a government that says "no" to tens of thousands of person-years of work for Canadian workers and "yes" to companies that want to bring Chinese workers? If you think all that is just peachy, then you're right - the BC Conservatives are dangerous, because we'll put a stop to it immediately.

The idea that we like the kind of corporate cronyism that the Liberals practise is flat out wrong. We also think the union cronyism promised by the NDP is wrong. In fact we're here to reduce the sort of lopsided lobby-driven government that both the NDP and the Liberals perpetuate. One of our central policies, for example, is to abolish union or corporate donations to political parties.

I really think you ought to look at what this party is about instead of just assuming that we fit some cartoon stereotype.
ScottSA

Postby normaM » Nov 11th, 2012, 7:21 pm

you forgot your tag line Scott
If you allow it then don't complain about it
normaM
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 293 posts

Postby ScottSA » Nov 11th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Thanks, but I just wanted to put it out there once, so folks don't think I'm some kind of hired poster or something. (Do campaigns actually do that?)
ScottSA

Postby sooperphreek » Nov 11th, 2012, 7:57 pm

everybody stands for something until they get into the government. all the changes you say will come about hardly ever do. if the cons party is indeed moderate and middle ground then thats great. but whos to know what the truth is today.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Postby Smurf » Nov 12th, 2012, 10:32 am

That is the big problem. People believe very little that politicians say these days, with good reason in many cases. The other side of a coin is there are a couple of parties out there that swear they are different than their predecessors and they deserve achance to prove it. We already know where the Liberals stand and they are not showing any change whatsoever so it is time to try someone else. If the new party is lying we MUST throw them out at the first opportunity and keep that up till we get someone that actually works and keeps their word. As far as I'm concerned all a politician has is his word and if that's no good then the rest is a given.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 464 posts

Postby ScottSA » Nov 12th, 2012, 11:07 am

Smurf wrote:As far as I'm concerned all a politician has is his word and if that's no good then the rest is a given.
Exactly. Will Rogers said that if every promise a politician made were kept there would be no incentive to go to heaven, because things would be too good here.

That's why the only promise I've ever made to the Vernon-Monashee constituents is that I'll say what I believe to be truth and not what I think they want to hear. I'm tired of the double-speak by both the NDP and the Liberals.

I was originally attracted to the BC Conservatives because John Cummins has a reputation for honesty and plain speaking. Getting to know him has re-enforced that reputation with me. The notion that he's some kind of hard-core tyrant or far-right religious nut is laughable for anyone who's talked to him. He's one of the nicest guys I've met.
ScottSA

Postby sooperphreek » Nov 12th, 2012, 12:22 pm

hes still a religious nutjob though. he just happens to be nice is all.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to BC Politics