Thursday, October 30th8.3°C

Christy Clark, Coleman and de Jong's betrayal

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: Christy Clark, Coleman and de Jong's betrayal

Postby maple leaf » Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:14 am

Everything from wedie is a ploy to deflect from the real topic or issue in a tread. An internet troll. :coffeecanuck:
Attachments
troll-hole.jpg
troll-hole.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 214 times
maple leaf
Übergod

Liked in: 114 posts

Postby Rwede » Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:31 am

B.C. NDP, Liberal Nominations Reveal Tale Of Two Parties

11/20/2012

Is it time to sell your B.C. NDP stock and buy shares in the B.C. Liberals? It was an off-the-cuff remark by former Vancouver mayor Sam Sullivan during his interview with CBC radio host Stephen Quinn that prompted that question. Quinn asked why Sullivan would attach himself to the B.C. Liberals, who have struggled to grow their poll numbers this past year. The former mayor responded that the B.C. Liberal "stock price is undervalued."

"When the public misreads the value of the stock and starts to sell too low, that's when I want to buy," commented Sullivan.

Savvy stock watchers can earn a lot of income by playing the markets right. Is Sullivan one step ahead of the political pundits and pollsters in seeing the value in B.C.'s centre-right coalition party? You could argue the signs are there, but here is some background to consider before you visit E*Trade.com.

NDP: ACCLAMATIONS AND UPSETS

Both the B.C. Liberals and B.C. NDP have acclaimed candidates all over the province. Most, of course are incumbents, and others are selected at the prerogative of the party leaders. However, when it comes to open nomination contests, the two parties have taken a different approach.

Take, for example, the ridings in Vancouver. Voting patterns over the last few decades show that both Vancouver-Point Grey (currently held by Premier Christy Clark) and Vancouver-Fairview (held by Minister of Health Margaret MacDiarmid) are ridings that often swing in favour of what party forms government. And in Vancouver-Fraserview in the city's southeast corner, B.C. Liberal Kash Heed only beat his NDP opponent by 800 votes.

Last November NDP members surprised outside observers by nominating Gabriel Yiu over the high profile George Chow in Vancouver-Fraserview, a two-term Vision Vancouver city councillor. The popular Chow was considered to be a shoo-in candidate after the election flyer debacle that tainted current MLA Heed, but only 90 members supported his candidacy on voting day.

For his troubles Chow was later acclaimed by the B.C. NDP in Vancouver-Langara, where in 2009 B.C. Liberal Moira Stilwell won handily by 4,200 votes.

Just last week David Eby, who recently stepped down as the executive director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, was quietly acclaimed by the B.C. NDP to run against the premier in Point Grey.

Taking down the leader of your opposition is the ultimate chess move in politics, but the NDP have resigned themselves to running Eby again rather than a more centrist candidate who might appeal to Point Grey's mostly liberal voter base. Vision Vancouver school board trustee Patti Bacchus had been rumoured as a possible Point Grey candidate, but she passed on the opportunity despite encouragement to run.

CONTRADICTING MYTH OF NDP SURGE

In Vancouver-Fairview the choice of candidate is even more perplexing. Two men with strong profiles within NDP ranks and deep connections to organized labour -- Geoff Meggs and George Heyman -- took each other on. Heyman waited patiently as the party seemed to be pushing back the riding nomination date to advantage his opponent Meggs. Yet despite giving the candidates an 18-month run at building support in Fairview, barely anyone showed up. Just 382 members voted in the B.C. NDP's battle for the ages, with Meggs and Heyman only signing up about 150 members each.

And so it went in Vancouver-False Creek. This new downtown Vancouver riding has existed for only one term. B.C. Liberal incumbent Mary McNeil announced in September that she would not be running again. During the summer Vision Park Board commissioner Constance Barnes announced she would be seeking the B.C. NDP nomination in McNeil's riding. It was surmised by many that Barnes would be a formidable candidate who could possibly close the 4,500 vote gap between her party's candidate and the BC Libs in the '09 election, and take False Creek for the NDP.

Not only did Constance top the polls for the Park Board slate in 2011, she had another distinct advantage: her dad, the late MLA Emery Barnes, has a park named after him in the riding. All she had to do was use her public profile and add a little hustle to turn the riding NDP orange.

It is said Barnes campaigned as hard as she could, but on Saturday an outsider candidate named Matt Toner won by less than 10 votes. While the riding refused to share their voter count publicly, GlobalTV BC reported that a riding spokesperson revealed that there were up to 500 eligible members in the riding, and about half of those actually voted.

With an mere nine-vote spread between Barnes and Toner, it is hard to imagine how a "star" candidate like Barnes could only get around 120 people to put an X beside her name. Instead of having another woman running for their team in Vancouver with political experience and deep party roots, the NDP now has a neophyte candidate from the non-unionized tech sector running in False Creek. Just like with the loss by his close friend Meggs, leader Adrian Dix will have to put a brave face on second best.

If there is a surge of popularity happening for the B.C. New Democrats, clearly somebody forgot to tell the citizens of Vancouver.

IN B.C. LIBERAL LAND

The B.C. Liberals were crowing about over 700 members coming out to vote in Penticton the same weekend as the Meggs/Heyman snorefest in Fairview. But back in Vancouver it was not clear yet who would be running in the ridings the B.C. Libs stood the best chance of winning - Vancouver-Quilchena and Vancouver-False Creek. What we are seeing now, however, is a pair of contests which will undoubtedly energize the local B.C. Liberal base.

In Quilchena, high-profile political veteran and former city councillor Suzanne Anton is taking on Liberal backroomer Andrew Wilkinson. And in Vancouver-False Creek a new battle is shaping up between two experienced politicos -- former MLA and community activist Lorne Mayencourt, and the aforementioned Sullivan, former Vancouver mayor and four-times elected city councillor.

Each are quality candidates who bring their own strengths and base of support to the B.C. Libs. But what they represent above all is a contradiction to consensus thinking about what is happening in B.C. politics.

If the B.C. NDP have sprung to life, they have a strange way of showing it off, by failing to sign up members and sending experienced candidates packing. In contrast, supporters of the B.C. Liberal Party are showing up in strong numbers and backing A-listers.

So what is really happening out there that the pundits cannot see? Maybe Sullivan is right and it is time to buy BCLIB.
You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
Rwede
Guru

Liked in: 1075 posts

Postby Artofthedeal » Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:48 am

maple leaf wrote:As I recall in the last months before Dosangh called the election the Liberals were hounding Dosangh to resign or call an election.Oh the hypocrisy.

you are correct Maple - when it comes to the NDP, there is no bounds known for the hypocrisy they demonstrate. Just sickening.
Artofthedeal
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby George+ » Nov 23rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

If Sam "it's okay to use provincial charity money to pay for my political campaign" Sullivan runs here, I think every good citizen with the name Sam Sullivan should register as an independent in this riding.

Heck, I'd even be willing to kick in to a fund for people willing to change their names!

Let's not forget how Sam bungled Olympic Village with private deals that ensured corporate profitability but left us taxpayers on the hook. A sham on wheels.
George+
Guru

Liked in: 228 posts

Postby maple leaf » Nov 23rd, 2012, 4:31 pm

Moe Gill claims Rich Coleman forced him to sign a letter in an Abbotsford Cactus Club

By Charlie Smith, November 23, 2012

Moe Gill helped Mike de Jong get into the legislature, but he will try to thwart B.C. Liberal Darryl Plecas.
An Abbotsford councillor claims that Deputy Premier Rich Coleman forced him to sign a letter agreeing to run in Abbotsford-Mission.

Moe Gill told the Straight about this by phone after Coleman claimed to CKNW Radio that Gill had informed him that he wasn't interested in running in Abbotsford South. Coleman said Gill even put his name on a letter saying he wanted to run in Abbotsford-Mission.

"They bullied me into signing this," Gill alleged. "I didn't want to go there."

The B.C. Liberals have acclaimed University of the Fraser Valley criminologist Darryl Plecas as their candidate in Abbotsford South, which is held by independent MLA John van Dongen.

Gill explained that after the B.C. Liberal convention, he received a phone call from Bruce Burley, a regional director, asking for a meeting the following morning at 9 a.m. in an Abbotsford Cactus Club restaurant.

Gill said he was pleased because he thought he would be told that he would be the party's candidate in Abbotsford South.

The restaurant normally didn't open at that time, according to Gill, but management allowed Gill inside for the get-together with Burley and Coleman.

According to Gill, Coleman sat at a table and said, "I'm working for only two people. I listen to those two people and I speak for those two people. One is Christy Clark. The other one is [B.C. Liberal campaign manager] Mike McDonald."

Gill said they talked for two hours. "I keep telling him, this is the riding I work in," he recalled. "They have this bullying tactic that works really nice. They do this professionally, I think....He said to me, 'You are not approved.' "

The Abbotsford councillor said he persisted, saying he was going to run in Abbotsford South.

"He said 'You can't run in this riding. You're not approved. The Liberal party is not approving you. How can you run?'," Gill claimed.

Then, according to Gill, Coleman offered him a membership list in Abbotsford-Mission so he could gather support there.

"I said, 'Randy Hawes is running this person over there—[Mission councillor] Tony Luck. They have been working there, getting the membership. It's too late'," Gill recalled.

Gill conceded that he signed the letter under duress. Members of the B.C. Liberal constituency executive in Abbotsford South later quit en masse when they learned that the party was appointing Plecas as the candidate.

Now, Gill wonders if the B.C. Liberals have tried to prevent other Punjabi-speaking Indo-Canadian politicians from seeking nominations in other constituencies.

Gill sidestepped a question from the Straight whether he thought the B.C. Liberals' actions were racist.

On Radio India this morning, host Gupreet Singh also asked Gill if racism played any role in the B.C. Liberals' decision to prevent him from seeking a nomination in Abbotsford South.

Gill stopped short of using the R-word, merely saying what happened to him happened to his community.

Gill told the Straight that he was the first Punjabi-speaking politician to be elected to a municipal council in 1996. This came after he lost in five previous attempts.

"The Indo-Canadian population in B.C., I believe, highly respects me and I respect them as well," he said.

He then told a story about how, on a trip to India with Finance Minister Mike de Jong, a teacher came up to him and said that she was encouraged to attend school after reading about how Gill refused to give up on his political aspirations in Canada.

"I gave her a big hug," he said. "The tears were rolling down my eyes."

In 1994, Gill helped de Jong win a narrow victory over then–Social Credit leader Grace McCarthy in an Abbotsford by-election. That paved the way for the demise of the Socreds and catapulted the B.C. Liberals into becoming the de facto opposition to the NDP.

Flash forward 18 years and now, Gill says he's going to do everything he can to ensure that Plecas is defeated in Abbotsford South.

"I was the one involved with Mike de Jong to finish off the Social Credit party at that time," Gill noted. "Am I the same guy again who is going to finish off the Liberal party?"

http://www.straight.com/article-841011/ ... actus-club
maple leaf
Übergod

Liked in: 114 posts

Postby Rwede » Nov 23rd, 2012, 4:38 pm

You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
Rwede
Guru

Liked in: 1075 posts

Postby normaM » Nov 23rd, 2012, 5:38 pm

k, I have to ask who on Earth is the poodle perm picture you guys are using for your avatar?
If you allow it then don't complain about it
normaM
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby steven lloyd » Nov 24th, 2012, 9:15 am

normaM wrote:k, I have to ask who on Earth is the poodle perm picture you guys are using for your avatar?

he's just a kid with a job "enjoying a career position with ownership rights
and freedom to get the job done whenever you want, however you want".
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1421 posts

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Nov 24th, 2012, 1:47 pm

That's funny I could have sworn the avatar is this guy.....

"Friends are the family that we choose ourselves!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 996 posts

Postby normaM » Nov 24th, 2012, 5:59 pm

huh, wish I could relax as easy as his hair
I don't listen to radio India so I'm outta the loop on this latest " scandal"
christ I miss really good old fashioned scandals.. no wonder Canadian politics are such a yawn fest.
Christy turns out to be a man and de Jong has a harem, yea.. I'd pay more mind
normaM
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Veovis » Nov 24th, 2012, 6:27 pm

I think I will vote with NormaM here. I wish our politicians would just get back to sleeping around on their spouses and leave other scandals alone.

This goes for all parties.
Veovis
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 453 posts

Postby George+ » Nov 25th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Jeez it would be nice to have some intelligent comment, once in a blue moon.
George+
Guru

Postby steven lloyd » Nov 25th, 2012, 1:35 pm

George+ wrote:Jeez it would be nice to have some intelligent comment, once in a blue moon.

That's pretty ironic coming from you George
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1421 posts

Postby normaM » Nov 25th, 2012, 3:35 pm

George+ wrote:Jeez it would be nice to have some intelligent comment, once in a blue moon.

I thought that's why you had coffee with your oodles of retired teacher pals - so you and they could enjoy intelligent convo since you are so erudite.
ought not it be " some intelligent COMMENTS" or "AN intelligent comment"?
Guessing you didn't teach English
normaM
Walks on Forum Water

Postby George+ » Nov 25th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Guess I ASSumed something intelligent would come up...nope.
George+
Guru

Previous

Return to BC Politics