Friday, April 18th11.6°C

Dix and Big Labour Pledge Mutual Support

Moderators: Jo, ferri, Merry, Triple 6

Dix and Big Labour Pledge Mutual Support

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 4th, 2012, 8:52 pm

NDP Leader Adrian Dix says he is “proud, honoured and humbled” to receive the B.C. Federation of Labour’s pledge of “mass mobilization” on behalf of the New Democrats in next spring’s provincial election.

But Mr. Dix, in a keynote speech on Wednesday to the federation’s biannual convention that was closely watched for clues about what goodies might fall labour’s way if the NDP forms government, warily avoided making major promises to the party’s long-time, faithful allies.

He made no mention of possible changes to the provincial labour code, which is the federation’s number one priority for the coming campaign. Nor did he touch on workers’ compensation improvements, also one of the labour movement’s four election goals.

Instead, Mr. Dix addressed only two: employment standards and apprenticeship training. He pledged an NDP government would make significant improvements in both areas.

Speaking to 1,500 delegates in front of a large video screen with the message “Change for the Better. One Practical Step at a Time,” Mr. Dix defended his relative caution.

“I believe it’s better to run modestly and positively, show what you’re going to do, and how you’re going to pay for it.”

He acknowledged that he has become an extremely careful politician. “Today, I bought two SkyTrain tickets,” Mr. Dix joked, a reference to his embarrassment at being caught riding without a ticket. He was let off with a warning after vowing he had bought one but lost it.

Despite his platform reluctance, Mr. Dix made no effort to distance himself from organized labour, as some past NDP leaders have done in the belief that close ties with unions hurt the party politically.

“I want to make it clear that I am proud of the work I’ve done for years, side by side with labour unions,” Mr. Dix said. “The labour movement and the NDP have done great things, but our best days are still ahead of us.”

He noted the political perception by recalling one commentator’s advice to shake hands with the labour movement, not hug them. “Do you need a hug?” a female delegate shouted, to loud applause. Mr. Dix grinned.

The NDP Leader said he will always respect the voice of the business community, and private-sector success is important to the economy. “But here’s where I part company with the government. I think the labour movement should play a central role as well.”

Afterwards, Mr. Dix told reporters that he had no intention of playing down his support for unions. “I am not here to use the labour movement as a backdrop to somehow prove I’m more moderate. I’m going to be who I am.”

Before the NDP Leader’s speech, delegates voted unanimously for a political action plan that committed the organization, which has more than 450,000 members, to all-out mobilization to help elect a New Democratic government.

Mr. Dix told the convention that the party intends to campaign “the hard way,” without negative personal advertising. “I think politics has become too personal, too selfish in British Columbia,” he said, evoking applause but no ovation. The federation has bitterly attacked the Liberal government since it was first elected in 2001.

Federation delegates said they had no problem with Mr. Dix’s guarded approach to labour commitments.

“I’m new to organized labour. I thought he was being honest,” said Lee Provost of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, who wore a “Stephen Harper Hates Me” button. “If the NDP and labour can come together to make us a better society, how can you object to that?” She said her job as an eye examiner at the Esquimalt Naval Base has been contracted out by the Harper government, and she will be laid off next April.

Sharon Brine, also a PSAC member, said she was pleased Mr. Dix is unafraid of association with the labour movement. “To discount the votes of union households in the next election would be the biggest mistake of all,” she said.

Federal NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair will address the convention on Thursday, prompting Mr. Dix to observe: “Think of me as Gordon Lightfoot opening for Justin Bieber.”
Gone_Fishin
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 131 posts

Re: Dix and Big Labour Pledge Mutual Support

Postby Rwede » Dec 5th, 2012, 8:18 am

Fisher-Dude wrote:“I want to make it clear that I am proud of the work I’ve done for years, side by side with labour unions,” Mr. Dix said. “The labour movement and the NDP have done great things, but our best days are still ahead of us.”

That's ominous. The best days for labour are when huge raises are given to public sector union members and union dues increase as a result. The best days for the NDP are when donations to the party are increased.

Higher wages = higher union dues = higher labour donations to the NDP. That equation costs the taxpayer billions of dollars.
You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.
Rwede
Guru

Liked in: 501 posts

Postby NAB » Dec 5th, 2012, 8:38 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... le5769522/

Although this is week old "news" now, (and the word "big" wasn't in the headline either) I am rather delighted at the moderate tone apparent from both the provincial and the federal NDP leadership, as well as many in Union leadership (There are always a few hotheads around on all sides promoting societal disagreement, dissention, and divisions - but they are easily ignored by the majority as being of little real consequence any more).

Perhaps there is even hope that the aggressive attacks against working joes and janes as well as the disadvantaged among us (whether union or non-union) from some in the business and government sectors will moderate as well, ....and a climate of mutual respect and equal participation in problem solving can be developed to the benefit of ALL. After all, it is hard to accomplish anything of value when 50% or more of those affected have been reduced to having little or no voice....

...recognizing that all sides (including government) depend on each other for the overall well being of a successful society and business community.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 160 posts

Postby Rwede » Dec 5th, 2012, 8:47 am

Of course you're delighted. That 70¢ is going to put you on Easy Street, man!

The rest of us? Well, who gives a rat's ass about those of us who actually DO something for the economy?
Rwede
Guru

Postby George+ » Dec 5th, 2012, 3:05 pm

It was a great story.
Mobilize!

Too bad a certain poster 'slightly' altered the headline. :ohmygod:
George+
Guru

Liked in: 73 posts

Postby Smurf » Dec 5th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Some on here wouldn't be happy if we dropped business and sales taxes to zero and made the public pay for everything. Then they would want us to pay them a fee, Like a tax payable to business. OOPS we already do that don't we. Carbon tax anyone.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 239 posts

Postby Rwede » Dec 11th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Fisher-Dude wrote:Afterwards, Mr. Dix told reporters that he had no intention of playing down his support for unions. “I am not here to use the labour movement as a backdrop to somehow prove I’m more moderate. I’m going to be who I am.”

Yes, hard for you to hide who you really are, Dix. You've already shown us that you're being "who you are," with yet another scandal related to illegal election advertising and continued breaches of the law.
Rwede
Guru

Postby NAB » Dec 11th, 2012, 3:04 pm

"illegal election advertising and continued breaches of the law." ? We have laws, rules, and agencies who are charged with dealing with such things. It's gonna take a lot more than repetitive hyperbole from a few forum parrots to prove such things are true. ...and just repeatedly saying they are in your opinion doesn't make them so - or even anything to do with Dix personally.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 160 posts

Postby Rwede » Dec 11th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Nab's got a can of Instant Teflon, and giving Dix a complete spray-down.

I hope to hell you paid HST on it.
Rwede
Guru

Postby ukcanuck » Dec 11th, 2012, 3:23 pm

I'm just hoping that the NDP have learned from the last time they were in power and stop playing into the right's hands.
Change has to come slowly without giving ammunition to the same old tired tax and spend accusations.

take a page from Obama's play book, he's got to get social policy past republicans, hopefully if the NDP can make it work here.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Rwede » Dec 11th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Dix has a huge debt to pay off, if people are stupid enough to give him the key to the treasury. There's no way that the creditor is going to wait one minute for the money, either. He's already collecting IOU's.

Rwede
Guru

Postby ukcanuck » Dec 11th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Rwede wrote:Dix has a huge debt to pay off, if people are stupid enough to give him the key to the treasury. There's no way that the creditor is going to wait one minute for the money, either. He's already collecting IOU's.

I'm guessing you aren't gonna lay that debt at right feet, don't tell me your gonna blame it on the fast cats are you?

It's really time to move on from this whole left and right crap its so Cold War, yesterday's news.
Its all good if everybody pays their fair share. big business could show the way :)
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Postby Captain Awesome » Dec 11th, 2012, 3:56 pm

ukcanuck wrote:It's really time to move on from this whole left and right crap its so Cold War, yesterday's news.

One step forward in this discussion.

Its all good if everybody pays their fair share. big business could show the way :)

...and one step back.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 991 posts

Postby George+ » Dec 11th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Nah.

That's a step forward, too! :dyinglaughing:
George+
Guru

Liked in: 73 posts

Postby Artofthedeal » Dec 11th, 2012, 4:23 pm

ukcanuck wrote:I'm just hoping that the NDP have learned from the last time they were in power and stop playing into the right's hands.

don't you have that backwards? The downfall of the last regime of terror of NDP rule in this province was that they played right into the hands of left-wing special interest groups, and of course, their benefactors, the unions - the result being a horrific economy, high taxes, and a subsequent almost complete annihilation by the voters. The NDP should stay far away from the left and all of the evils they bring to the table. Govern from the center - that's all the need to do - but with the current nut as their leader, who brings all the trash of the 1990's with him, that's going to be basically impossible.
Artofthedeal
Fledgling

Next

Return to BC Politics