Wednesday, July 30th13.7°C

Dirty Trix! NDP caught in illegal advertising scheme!

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Dirty Trix! NDP caught in illegal advertising scheme!

Postby Gone_Fishin » Feb 5th, 2013, 1:24 pm

NDP caught using public dollars to fund partisan advertising!

Lali now says the NDP will pay for it, but only after he was CAUGHT twice in 2 weeks doing ILLEGAL ads with taxpayers' money!!!!!

Dix and his troop caught once again stealing from taxpayers!!!!!!!!!!

Order an inquest!

Lali admits ads broke rules

Speaker asked to investigate ‘partisan and negative’ advertising

February 4, 2013

By Mike Youds
Daily News Staff Reporter

Fraser-Nicola MLA Harry Lali has admitted that partisan ads he ran in area newspapers broke rules, but he promises that taxpayers won’t pay for them.

Chilliwack MLA John Les asked the legislative speaker on Monday to investigate a series of NDP advertisements he described as “partisan and negative.”

Lali said later that he spoke with Bill Barisoff, speaker of the legislature, and has assured him that the ads will be paid for by the Fraser-Nicola NDP Constituency Association — not with public funds.

From time to time, MLAs slip up,” Lali said, acknowledging that the ads violated the rules on taxpayer-funded advertising. “The thing is, every few years, obviously, people’s perceptions change, times change.”

“These ads are clearly partisan, (they) direct readers to the B.C. NDP’s political party website and personally attack a fellow MLA,” Les said earlier in a news release.

The four campaign-style ads were published in recent editions of the Merritt Herald, the Ashcroft-Cache Creek Journal and the Lillooet News. The only MLA mentioned in the ads is Premier Christy Clark.

Though the public is accustomed to seeing partisan advertising, even outside of elections, the ads can’t be financed through constituency allowances.

“If it turns out these ads originated from and were paid for by Mr. Lali’s taxpayer-funded constituency allowance, it would be a violation of the standards of conduct for MLAs,” Les said.

Rules require that ads paid for with constituency allowances must be strictly informational in content and cannot promote political parties or advocate partisan positions.

Lali said the Liberals are merely playing politics.

“First of all, isn’t it kind of ironic that John Les, who has had so many legal problems and investigations, and lost his cabinet seat because of it, is asking for an investigation,” he said.

Barisoff concurred, though, that the ads did not meet the standard for publicly funded material.

“Taxpayers will not be on the hook for any of this,” Lali stressed. “When the bill (for the ads) comes, the NDP will be paying.”

He said the ads were not personal attacks but were focused on policy issues. They referred readers to the B.C. NDP website, which Les alleged was a misrepresented as the site of the official opposition.

Lali said MLA Kevin Krueger made a similar mistake several years ago by referring visitors at his MLA website to the B.C. Liberal website.

Les said it’s not an isolated incident for Lali. It’s the second time in as many weeks that he has raised the same issue over materials originating from Lali’s office. He said he sent a letter last week to the speaker, asking him to investigate a “negative, partisan” news release issued Jan. 28 by Lali’s constituency office.

The letter criticized Jackie Tegart, Lali’s Liberal opponent in Fraser-Nicola, for not speaking out on issues such as health-care cuts, school closures and the sale of B.C. Rail. It also criticized the Liberals for consistent “heavy-handedness with local nominations.”

Lali apologized last week, calling the news release an honest mistake. He said the release was inadvertently issued by his constituency office and promised that would not happen again.

“That was simply a mistake. I have a couple of new staff members. Basically what I need to do is check everything,” he said.

Les’s emphasis on the negative nature of the materials plays off the NDP’s pre-election ad campaign, in which NDP Leader Adrian Dix emphasizes positive messages over negative campaigning.

Adrian Dix says he disapproves of negative, partisan advertising. The repeated actions of Mr. Lali are further proof that Mr. Dix is all talk and no action when it comes to negative and personal attacks.”
Gone_Fishin
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 217 posts

Re: Dirty Trix! NDP caught in illegal advertising scheme!

Postby Urbane » Feb 5th, 2013, 1:33 pm

It'll be interesting to see what the NDP apologists have to say about this. They'll probably say it's okay because Lali isn't part of this government. And we might hear that although Lali broke the rules it's just what loyal servants do for their boss. Or maybe they'll just look the other way. It sure looks like malfeasance to me though!
"Just because you have the right doesn't make it right."
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1179 posts

Postby Rwede » Feb 5th, 2013, 1:46 pm

It's THEFT of taxpayers' money, plain and simple.

Is it any better than stealing from children's charities like the NDP did in the 1990s to fund their election advertising? I don't think so, THEFT is THEFT.
You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
Rwede
Guru

Liked in: 742 posts

Postby NAB » Feb 5th, 2013, 1:48 pm

While I can see the wrongdoing in the ads originating from Lali's constituency office, I cannot see any evidence in that article where taxpayer funds have been "stolen" and used to pay for them. So I have to assume in that case that nothing illegal transpired in terms of use of constituency advertising budget funds being used to pay for them.

In any event, it will be interesting to see if and how Mr. Dix deals with the situation... and Mr. Lali (who obviously has acted contrary to his leader's wishes) :-)

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 206 posts

Postby Rwede » Feb 5th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Using constituency money for personal or party expenses is THEFT. Of course Nab can't "see" it, his head is so far up Dix's ass that he can't see anything.

And "against Dix's wishes"? What a joke. Dix is the same old bag of shyt that he was in the partisan 1990s. His "wishes" are to turn BC into a welfare state again, all in the name of "social justice."

Lali and Dix got caught once again, violating the Elections Act. Dix has a long history of illegal activities around the Elections and Recall Acts, each time breaking the law to illegally fund NDP activities. He has taught his protege Lali very well.

Rwede
Guru

Postby NAB » Feb 5th, 2013, 2:17 pm

So where does it say constituency money has been used to pay for the ads? I assume that they are OK provided the NDP Party paid for them?

“If it turns out these ads originated from and were paid for by Mr. Lali’s taxpayer-funded constituency allowance, it would be a violation of the standards of conduct for MLAs,” Les said.

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 206 posts

Postby Rwede » Feb 5th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Caught with their slimey little orange hands in the cookie jar again!

When it's an NDPer in BC, they just can't keep their hands in their own pockets!
Attachments
16174287.jpg

Rwede
Guru

Postby George+ » Feb 5th, 2013, 3:39 pm

But it is okey for the Lieberals to spend millions of
real taxpayer dollars touting how great the province is
doing just before an election?

And in fact the province is billions of dollars in debt.

Try to make an issue out of something important.
ZZZZZ...BORING. Dix is NOT Lali.

Here come de ranters!
George+
Guru

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby Rwede » Feb 5th, 2013, 3:48 pm

George+ wrote:But it is okey for the Lieberals to spend millions of real taxpayer dollars touting how great the province is
doing just before an election?

Sure is Georeg.

It's not illegal to advertise provincial programs using taxpayer dollars.

It is illegal to advertise against another political party using taxpayer dollars.

I know you might not understand the difference, but what the Libs did is 100% legal, and what the NDP did was 100% illegal. Try to grasp the concept.

Rwede
Guru

Postby SurplusElect » Feb 5th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Oh look, Rwede is trying desperately to make the NDP look bad.

Try try try, but the NDP is going to govern.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Urbane » Feb 5th, 2013, 4:03 pm

SurplusElect wrote:Oh look, Rwede is trying desperately to make the NDP look bad.

Try try try, but the NDP is going to govern.
It's funny how some people are more than willing to overlook real malfeasance on the part of the NDP while using that word to describe any decision they don't like that the government makes. Breathtakingly hypocritical!
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water

Postby SurplusElect » Feb 5th, 2013, 4:04 pm

This hole of a thread is breathtaking.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Postby Rwede » Feb 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm

SurplusElect wrote:This hole of a thread is breathtaking.

Your head is up Dix's hole if you can't see how crooked he and his party are.

Rwede
Guru

Postby Urbane » Feb 5th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Rwede wrote:Your head is up Dix's hole if you can't see how crooked he and his party are.
But by telling us about the NDP's illegal activity you're making them look bad. Ssshhhhhhhh . . . no one is supposed to know about their malfeasance.
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water

Postby SurplusElect » Feb 5th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Conservative overspending/election fruad in multiple riding's across Canada that lead to a fraudulent majority federal government?

Care to comment on that?

Right. NDP NDP NDP.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Feb 5th, 2013, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Next

Return to BC Politics