Thursday, November 27th1.6°C

NDP set to nominate Kelowna candidate

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Postby Gone_Fishin » Feb 16th, 2013, 9:03 am

by Wayne Moore - Story: 87442
Feb 16, 2013 / 5:00 am

BC New Democrats will know by the end of the month who will carry their colours into the May provincial election in Kelowna-Lake Country.

The constituency will hold its nomination meeting Tuesday, Feb. 26 at the Rutland Centennial Hall.

The nomination meeting will begin at 7 p.m.

This is the only Kelowna riding in which a nominating meeting is necessary.

Candidates have already been acclaimed in Kelowna-Mission and Westside-Kelowna.

Tom Macauley and Mike Nuyens are contesting the nomination in Kelowna-Lake Country.

Macauley's nomination campaign has made him believe the BC NDP can win Kelowna - Lake Country.

"As a young nontraditional candidate I have had success connecting with the growing non-voting population. More frequently than ever we are building our membership and volunteer lists with young people. If this trend continues the BC NDP will win Kelowna-Lake Country," says Macauley.

Nuyens, a life long resident of the valley says he understands the challenges of living in this region.

"Having lived my entire life in Lake Country, and through the operation of my business, I do understand the challenges local families are facing. I'm a strong community activist, as a volunteer firefighter and as a volunteer on both of my son's hockey teams," says Nuyens.

The successful nominee will be up against incumbent Liberal MLA Norm Letnick and BC Conservative challenger Graeme James.

Why can't the NDP find any candidates other than "activists" or union brass? Geesh!

Nuyens recommends himself for the job siting his tireless efforts defending the rights of working people and their families, as an activist and leader in the B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union (BCGEU) representing over 65,000 working women and men across the province.

A member of the BCGEU’s provincial executive, Nuyens represents more than 3,000 workers in highways maintenance, Canada Line, AirCare and other workplaces, including in Kelowna-Lake Country.

Tom Macauley was born on May 27, 1992 in Regina, Saskatchewan to a father from Kamloops and a mother from southern Saskatchewan. From Tom’s great grandfather, who laboured with the CCF and Tommy Douglas for universal healthcare in Saskatchewan to his great uncle who sat as a Supreme Court judge in British Columbia, Tom comes from a full history of community activism and Canadian politics.

Fortunately, neither of these unionist activists has a hope in hell of becoming an MLA.
Gone_Fishin
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 236 posts

Re: NDP set to nominate Kelowna candidate

Postby George+ » Feb 16th, 2013, 11:49 am

Mike Nuyens is a well respected local resident.
He has a solid volunteer record.
George+
Guru

Liked in: 255 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Feb 16th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Vote for the beard!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1676 posts

Postby Sn0man » Feb 16th, 2013, 1:05 pm

A 21 year old NDP MLA? In a city overflowing with silverheads?

Seriously?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Feb 16th, 2013, 1:32 pm

George+ wrote:Mike Nuyens is a well respected local resident.
He has a solid volunteer record.

He's a union brass flunky, just like you were when you served as president of COTA. Of course you think he's good! :dyinglaughing:

I believe as election time rolls around, people will become more aware of the fact that all NDP candidates are simply union shills looking to bankrupt the province at taxpayers' expense.
Gone_Fishin
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby George+ » Feb 16th, 2013, 3:57 pm

COTA??
George+
Guru

Postby logicalview » Feb 17th, 2013, 8:25 am

I always shake my head when someone refers to themselves as a "community activist". This term usually means that the person is in reality either some kid who has been brainwashed by college professors, or some burned out hippy who is basically useless, or some career union organizer bozo, or even some crappy retired teacher with nothing else to do but get destroyed in school trustee elections. These kinds of people have one thing in common, they are all losers. So naturally, they gravitate to the political party that caters to losers, the NDP.

That's all well and good. Politics should be inclusive of everyone, including loser community activist types. They can even run for nomination as MLA's. The problem is when these people, by some fluke, get elected. This is a fundamental problem the NDP face every time there is a brain fart big enough to give them a majority. No talent or brains. Imagine you are the NDP leader, and after getting the call from the unions that you have their permission, you go into your first meeting with your MLA's, and all you see are bonehead activists, union bozos and ex-teachers to choose from. How do you build a cabinet from that filth and dreck? You can't. So then you end up churning out mind-numbingly stupid legislation that wrecks the economy, an pray that in 11 years everyone will forget just how bad you were. It's your only hope.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of fecal matter by the clean end.
logicalview
Guru

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby George+ » Feb 17th, 2013, 10:58 am

Who won???
George+
Guru

Postby Verminator » Feb 17th, 2013, 11:17 am

logicalview wrote:I always shake my head when someone refers to themselves as a "community activist". This term usually means that the person is in reality either some kid who has been brainwashed by college professors, or some burned out hippy who is basically useless, or some career union organizer bozo, or even some crappy retired teacher with nothing else to do but get destroyed in school trustee elections. These kinds of people have one thing in common, they are all losers. So naturally, they gravitate to the political party that caters to losers, the NDP.

That's all well and good. Politics should be inclusive of everyone, including loser community activist types. They can even run for nomination as MLA's. The problem is when these people, by some fluke, get elected. This is a fundamental problem the NDP face every time there is a brain fart big enough to give them a majority. No talent or brains. Imagine you are the NDP leader, and after getting the call from the unions that you have their permission, you go into your first meeting with your MLA's, and all you see are bonehead activists, union bozos and ex-teachers to choose from. How do you build a cabinet from that filth and dreck? You can't. So then you end up churning out mind-numbingly stupid legislation that wrecks the economy, an pray that in 11 years everyone will forget just how bad you were. It's your only hope.

So very tolerant of you to allow even 'filth and dreck' to participate in the political process. (But only as long as they stay quietly in the background, right?)

This post is so hateful I'm tempted to report it, but that wouldn't be very inclusive of me.

One question for you, logicalview. I'm on the opposite side of the political spectrum from you and disagree with most of what you post on these pages, although I do my best to do so in a respectful way. Am I to gather that you consider me 'filth and dreck'?

PS - I'm not a retired teacher or one of those horrible 'union hacks', I'm even worse. I'm a retired LPN.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Verminator
Board Meister

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Veovis » Feb 17th, 2013, 11:58 am

IN polite terms I think logicals point was more aimed in this direction:

The bulk of people who commit to left wing support no matter the scenario are often die hard activists that make judgements based on partial information and heated emotions instead of calm rationality and set facts. The issue that (the far right has this occur as well)

What happens is that we have the Liberals in BC and we have the NDP which is heavy on far left people, when they tend to get in they make emotional and activist related calls for policy without really seeing any long term effects, it's about looking good in the moment not doing what's best or right.

Now this isn't saying the liberals are doing a good job. IT means that you are asking groups of people who aren't in it to run a province but make their own personal political statement, and you ask them to run a province it often ends in poor policies that are not good for anyone.

One group thinks mining is bad for mother earth, kill that sector, one group loves the trees, kill that sector. These things have happened and it was due to "we love the trees" not, we are improving forestry systems for long term benefit.

Hence activists should be activists and lobby government for changes, not be the government.
Veovis
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 453 posts

Postby Verminator » Feb 17th, 2013, 12:12 pm

I get it now. Not only am I 'filth and dreck', but since I tend to vote left of center, ie, NDP, I'm also a die-hard activist who votes emotionally and irrationally. Thanks for clearing that up.

So much for civilized political discourse on Castanet.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Verminator
Board Meister

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby George+ » Feb 17th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Veovis is bitter that the Liberals are losing.
George+
Guru

Postby Veovis » Feb 17th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Verminator wrote:I get it now. Not only am I 'filth and dreck', but since I tend to vote left of center, ie, NDP, I'm also a die-hard activist who votes emotionally and irrationally. Thanks for clearing that up.

So with me not once referring to you personally but talking about NDP supporters in a general reality (many greens are in NDP now finding the Green party wasn't real or viable and you don't think any of them are activists i see.)

The fact you were unable to reply to my interpretation with a discussion and instead posted an emotionally charged rant that is rather insulting, tells me perhaps you do belong in that category. I'm not putting you there, you are, or can you reply without getting upset and acting dramatic, or are you only able to try to troll like George there?

And George, you're attempts at trolling really get more pathetic over time.
Veovis
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 453 posts

Postby logicalview » Feb 17th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Verminator wrote:I get it now. Not only am I 'filth and dreck', but since I tend to vote left of center, ie, NDP, I'm also a die-hard activist who votes emotionally and irrationally. Thanks for clearing that up.

You would be "filth and dreck" if you were elected as an MLA and then went to Victoria with all kinds of stupid extreme left wing ideals bent on destroying the economy. The NDP are chalk full of these kind of bone heads already, and that's the issue that was identified in the start of this thread. For the NDP to move to the center, they have to stop running loser "activists" and union shills, and start attracting much better quality people. I have nothing against you personally Verminator, just pointing out the obvious - extremists make poor politicians and even worse government, no matter what side of the spectrum they are on.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of fecal matter by the clean end.
logicalview
Guru

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby George+ » Feb 17th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Who won?
George+
Guru

Next

Return to BC Politics