Wednesday, October 1st14.8°C

Stephen Harper

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: Stephen Harper

Postby Glacier » Dec 11th, 2012, 12:12 am

There's a big difference between legitimate criticisms and coo coo hair brained conspiracy theorist garbage. Criticizing Harper on real things such as the wisdom of lowering the HST is what a rational critic would do, however, polluting the airwaves with a cacophony of accusations not fit for human consumption outside of the Conspiracies section is what Rex Murphy is talking about.

It's unfortunate that so many of Harper's critics can't seem to stop with the legitimate criticisms, and blindly support any and every criticism no matter how little merit the argument holds.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1365 posts

Postby SurplusElect » Dec 11th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Glacier wrote:There's a big difference between legitimate criticisms and coo coo hair brained conspiracy theorist garbage. Criticizing Harper on real things such as the wisdom of lowering the HST is what a rational critic would do, however, polluting the airwaves with a cacophony of accusations not fit for human consumption outside of the Conspiracies section is what Rex Murphy is talking about.

It's unfortunate that so many of Harper's critics can't seem to stop with the legitimate criticisms, and blindly support any and every criticism no matter how little merit the argument holds.

Rex talking about how Mr Harper "would help you shovel your driveway" is a legitimate compliment ?

There is a single paragraph on how he is a good Canadian and neighbor. Based on what exactly? Hence my point about being shown what they want us to see.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 12th, 2012, 4:46 pm

The hard part about Mr. Harper is that he doe not seem to show his cards. When he does, such as suppoting pipelines across BC, he softens away very quickly in public...but carries on with his agenda.

Connect the dots and you see a master strategist, with very few of the individual moves seeming to be interconnected, and very few of them really seeing the light of day as controversy.

http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/pipeline-safety-dilbit-captive-regulators-and-smart-pigs

This one could be dismissed as starting to fall into the "conspiracy theory" category, but when you also look at cuts to DFO, cuts to Coast Guard, approval of the tar sands sales to China and Malaysia, and FIPA, it is hard to see anything but a quietly studious chess master setting up any opposition for a quick checkmate.

He's definitely very good at what he does. But I'm starting to like him about as much Mulroney - which runs right off the charts.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 642 posts

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » May 18th, 2013, 8:22 am

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru

Liked in: 139 posts

Postby Urbane » May 18th, 2013, 9:42 am

^^ Resorting to the old "hidden agenda" bit again, eh? Well, if the polls tell us that people think he has a hidden agenda it must be true since the polls are always accurate - LOL.

When the next election comes along, in two and a half years, I'll look at the policies of the Liberals and Conservatives and make my choice. If the Liberals move to the centre I'll at least give them a look but if they're out there in left field no way. As for Mulcair and the NDP they have no chance with me. I don't know about Mulcair's hidden agenda but his visible agenda sucks.
"Virtue is its own reward."
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2215 posts

Postby Glacier » May 18th, 2013, 9:44 am

I guess that pretty much moves my theory that 50% of Canadians are conspiracy theorists.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1365 posts

Postby SurplusElect » May 18th, 2013, 9:57 am

2/3rds of Canadians think the government is too secretive. More than half think the country is on the wrong track.

This poll was taken before we found out the PM tied himself to Mike Duffy's secret 90 grand payout by "standing behind" the PM's chief of staff illegally gifting a Canadian Senator, I'm assuming.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » May 18th, 2013, 10:05 am

2/3 of people believe in a mythical creature who lives up in the clouds and controls their lives.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1447 posts

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » May 18th, 2013, 11:01 am

SmokeOnTheWater
Guru

Postby A_Britishcolumbian » May 18th, 2013, 9:50 pm

stephen harper and his cronies are parasites.
harper is opposed to basic human rights, is orchestrating a genocide, and continues to destroy fundamental aspects of canadian society.
http://www.cjfe.org/resources/features/ ... ar-schmidt

katzenjammer likes this post.
A_Britishcolumbian
Übergod

Liked in: 108 posts

Postby Urbane » May 18th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Ridiculous over-the-top and totally unfounded claims merely serve to sidetrack a genuine discussion of the issues. It happens on all sides of course and we saw it during the recent provincial election but it's too bad. There does seem to be a particular hatred for Stephen Harper and I've never quite figured out why. He seems like a pretty decent guy to me. He seems like a typical Canadian too with his love of hockey, his love of music including his willingness to sing and play the piano. and his genuinely down to earth approach. As his administration made mistakes? Absolutely but check out the alternatives at the moment. I'll certainly give the Liberals a look in 2015 but unless Justin Trudeau moves to the centre (and that appears to be a long ways away from where he is at the moment) I'll be voting Conservative.
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Logitack » May 19th, 2013, 9:48 am

those rose colored glasses give a distorted view dontcha think

In theory then, Wright’s exit closes the book and allows the government to say the matter is dealt with: A sorry affair, let’s move on.

Except that it isn’t so easy, any more, to contain this to the two central players.

According to reporting by CTV’s Bob Fife, the arrangement between Wright and Duffy was arrived at with the help of lawyers on both sides. Immediately that’s a red flag: If this was a “gift,” and a private matter between two colleagues, why the lawyers? Were any PMO lawyers involved?

Friday, Fife reported he’d seen two versions of a recently tabled Senate internal economy committee audit into Duffy’s expense claims. The original version found the senator “broke the Senate’s very clear and unambiguous” residency rules, CTV reported. But that was “whitewashed” out in the final report, according to Fife – allowing the government to claim these were mistakes, due to “unclear” rules.

To suggest all of this occurred without the prime minister’s knowledge is simply not credible. Given the stakes, if Harper had no advance knowledge at all of the Duffy transaction – as opposed to, say, no knowledge of “the means” – would the PMO not be shouting that to the rooftops?

So these are the questions facing the prime minister Tuesday, as he sits down with 163 Conservative MPs (there are 164 in total, including him) whose collective reputations have been tarnished to an as-yet unknown degree by this affair: How much did you know? If you knew, what on Earth were you thinking?

Read more: http://www.canada.com/With+Nigel+Wright ... z2Tl36bdfh
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything. I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete douchebags.
....chevy chase
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 232 posts

Postby Logitack » May 19th, 2013, 9:54 am

harper's lack of judgment and competence called into question by the latest scandal.

Worse, Mr. Wright’s departure sinks this government even deeper into the political mire. Three senators, all of them appointed by the Prime Minister, have been forced out of the Conservative caucus after allegations that they had improperly filed travel and living expenses. (The cause of Senator Patrick Brazeau’s expulsion, however, was related to an assault charge.)

All this comes at the same time that a small but important minority of MPs rebelled against the PM’s refusal to permit any discussion of abortion issues in the House of Commons.

But Mr. Harper’s biggest problem – and it is a very big problem – is that he has shaken the confidence of his caucus and, by extension, of voters generally, in his judgment and competence.

At the root of this crisis of confidence is the lack of a clearly defined governing agenda. Promises of sweeping trade agreements have thus far borne little fruit, and a skills training agenda has the business community skeptical and some provinces up in arms.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... cmpid=rss1
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything. I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete douchebags.
....chevy chase
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 232 posts

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » May 19th, 2013, 10:11 am

" Restoring accountability will be one of the major priorities of our new government. Accountability is what ordinary Canadians, working Canadians, those people who pay their bills, pay their taxes, expect from their political leaders. "
Stephen Harper
April 6, 2011

I'm sure Harper will come through with his promise. cough .. cough ..
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru

Postby Urbane » May 19th, 2013, 10:25 am

Logitack wrote: those rose colored glasses give a distorted view dontcha think

Duffy should resign. In fact he should have resigned weeks ago. Anyone seeing nothing wrong with what Duffy has done is wearing rose-coloured glasses for sure. But then we get someone saying this:

stephen harper and his cronies are parasites.
harper is opposed to basic human rights, is orchestrating a genocide, and continues to destroy fundamental aspects of canadian society.

Making ridiculous and unfounded over-the-top claims only detracts from a quite legitimate discussion about actions of Duffy and the PMO in this matter. I used to watch Duffy on CTV and liked his work but it has become apparent that he never should have been appointed to the Senate. Will this scandal make a difference come the fall of 2015 and the next federal election? I doubt it but I also think that Harper will have gone out on top by then and that someone else will be Prime Minister. Overall Harper has done a good job in steering the country in the right direction and from what I've seen so far I think that history will treat him kindly.
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Politics