Sunday, October 26th7.6°C

Hunger-striking chief demands PM’s attention

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: Hunger-striking chief demands PM’s attention

Postby Rwede » Jan 4th, 2013, 10:20 am

Not sure why you want to support the corrupt chiefs, coffee. People like Calvin Helin have long fought against the current system that keeps the chiefs rich and the rest of the natives poor, but the money to keep the current corruption going is on the side of the rich chiefs. Are you in FN government?

I thought you'd be more interested in reforming things that benefit the average FN person, but I guess not. Throwing more money into the 633 chiefs' pockets so that they can keep the status quo corruption alive is not the answer.

You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
Rwede
Guru

Liked in: 1062 posts

Postby zzontar » Jan 4th, 2013, 10:24 am

What I find odd is that they say it's not a native issue but a Canadian one, yet when there are environmental concerns that aren't directly on someone's reserve, they don't seem to be so concerned about the rest of Canada. Here's an example:
http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/09/11/kirs ... vastation/

Canadians grew weary of the government’s muzzling of scientists and critics, and on June 4th, 2012, more than 500 organizations across Canada dimmed their websites in solidarity for BLACKOUTSPEAKOUT. The campaign was to highlight the government’s persistent assault on the environment and democracy, and to ask “who will next be under attack by the government for voicing opposition”?

I never heard a peep about natives being involved in this protest when it would have been an opportune time to join in. Just piping up when it's in your backyard doesn't garner as much respect.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby marcmousseau » Jan 10th, 2013, 2:34 pm

I do not normally spend time on forums, but i totally agree with the prior postings, A town of 1800 people receiving 90 million dollars in subsidies and living in such bad space does not make sence, some one pocketed the dough,$$$$ and now the audit canot say where it was spent,, lets not waste our time and the PM time, let her and her tribe go back camping. CBC Market Place this is somewhere where you should investigate. and really see a scam of our money!
marcmousseau

Liked in: 0 post

Postby dhandiman » Jan 12th, 2013, 11:35 am

In the headlines this week a First Nations member staged a month long hunger strike as leverage to force a meeting with the Prime Minister of Canada. Really ?
As a Caucasian individual, if I staged a hunger strike in order to garner a meeting with the leader of this country, I expect I’d be in the grave before the meeting ever occurred.
So why does a Native individual believe doing the same will make a difference?
What makes that person any better than me?
I believe that of the many issues Canadians need to become aware of, transparency in government spending is high on the priority list….and start with the transparency of how our tax dollars are being spent in aiding First Nations groups, that believe we should support every facet of their existence with no efforts on their part. The amount of monies we inject into First Nations communities is absolutely astounding. Never mind the fact that their members are allotted free education, free health care, pay little or no taxes, and get monthly allowances… they then have the audacity to demand that we provide them with more. All in an economy where those of us who pay regularly into the system, wonder if there’ll be CPP or OAS for us, after contributing to it for most of our adult lives. Where do these people get off in demanding anything from me? And by me, I mean my government….the people I helped put into office to represent myself and my interests.
And please don’t misconstrue my comments as racist… I’m not implying that every Aboriginal isn’t a hard working member of society… but that description seems to belong to the minority of the Native peoples. I have no problem in providing assistance to those who are making an effort to make a living and need help along the way, native or otherwise, but to those who expect a free handout because they think the government (and consequently the Canadian taxpayer) owe them a living… I think it’s time you took responsibility for your selves and started contributing as a citizen of this country.
I believe that if you want a community to become strong and prosper, you need to lay a foundation and build on that. As first Nations members, you are allotted free education…. something that most non native high school graduates in this country have to go into debt to achieve… so why aren’t you taking advantage of this opportunity to get an education… earn a good living so you can bring prosperity to your communities… invest in business, build schools and clinics, care centers and ….opportunities.
That is what every other community has had to do to prosper, so why should you be any different? Why should I have to pay for your housing, and utilities and the rest of your infrastructure? I’m sorry but I’m tired of having to answer for something that someone’s ancestor did to your people 100 plus years ago…get over it! Come to a final settlement and move on. You claim to be proud of your cultural heritage… if you think you’re such a proud people, it’s time to prove it and start standing on your own and quit relying on the charity of the citizens of Canada to pay your way. Prove to all of us how great the First Nations peoples can be. Show us that you’re able to stand on your own and be the responsible members of this nation that you claim to be.
Or not.
If it were up to me, I’d cut the strings that you’ve come to rely so heavily on, and leave you to your own devices… to succeed or fail…and either way, you’d have to live with the consequences, with nobody to blame but yourselves.
Welcome to the Global Community…..
dhandiman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Jan 12th, 2013, 12:11 pm

dhandiman wrote: ... they then have the audacity to demand that we provide them with more.

I could be wrong but I believe you missed the whole point of " Idle no more ".
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru

Liked in: 140 posts

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Jan 12th, 2013, 12:21 pm

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I could be wrong but I believe you missed the whole point of " Idle no more ".

You mean, a lying, thieving Chief, resorting to any means necessary, to shift focus away from her own questionable actions, in putting herself before the needs of her impoverished people?

Maybe she should channel some of the money she collected under the Linklater name, toward doing some housing repair, or maybe cash in some Apple stocks, or allocate surpluses the books supposedly show.
"Friends are the family that we choose ourselves!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 992 posts

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Jan 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm

You're right LoneWolf.
I'm in the wrong thread.
To me " Idle no more " has nothing to do with her.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru

Liked in: 140 posts

Postby sooperphreek » Jan 29th, 2013, 10:51 am

grammafreddy wrote:In order to understand where Chief Spence is coming from, one might need to have some knowledge of the Indian culture. They don't have the same kind of government we do where one person is "chief" of all their nations. Rather, each nation is considered to be its own "country", so to speak. So, as "prime minister/chief" of her "country/nation", she would view Stephen Harper as her equal - and that's who she wants to meet with. Not some lacky under him.

actually she doesnt see harper as her equal. she wanted to see the governor general which was as good as the queen who she sees as her equal.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby sooperphreek » Jan 29th, 2013, 10:53 am

Rwede wrote:Not sure why you want to support the corrupt chiefs, coffee. People like Calvin Helin have long fought against the current system that keeps the chiefs rich and the rest of the natives poor, but the money to keep the current corruption going is on the side of the rich chiefs. Are you in FN government?

I thought you'd be more interested in reforming things that benefit the average FN person, but I guess not. Throwing more money into the 633 chiefs' pockets so that they can keep the status quo corruption alive is not the answer.

corrupt cheifs, politicians, banks and business. wheres our handbasket???
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby grammafreddy » Jan 29th, 2013, 11:24 am

sooperphreek wrote:
wheres our handbasket???

On Dillworth Drive - its called the welfare office.

On St Paul - its called the Gospel Mission.

On Ellis - its called the Food Bank.

... and there's lots of others, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 776 posts

Previous

Return to Canada Politics