Pipelines across BC

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Pipelines across BC

Postby waynetyea » May 3rd, 2012, 10:05 pm

let them come. let us build them and let them pay for the refinery located in the middle supplying all we need at least. and a big one near the end so we can sell a finished product and really make them all pay deeply
waynetyea
Fledgling

Liked in: 30 posts

Re: Pipelines across BC

Postby MCB » May 4th, 2012, 4:25 pm

The oil industry feeds my family (and several others!) locally, so I'll sip a cold one to that! :discodance:
MCB
Board Meister

Liked in: 86 posts

Postby hobbyguy » May 5th, 2012, 11:31 am

A very narrow and short sighted perspective folks.

There are vastly more folks in BC who depend on tourism and fishing than oil production.

Ask the folks who live near the Sarnia refineries and are suffering with cancers, miscarriages, no boys being born, etc. what they think of refineries.

Personally, I think the money would be far better spent in developing viable (and that's the key word) alternatives. We know that pipelines across BC will result in disasters, and no significant spill has been cleaned up without leaving behind permanment, long lasting negative effects. Bad trade off to get some short term construction jobs, and a small number of long term jobs, for the thousands of jobs in fishing and tourism.

Here's a question for you: how many OLD oil field workers are there?
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10427 posts

Postby Logitack » May 5th, 2012, 11:43 am

the whole pipeline issue should be narrowed down to the safety of the pipeline and how government and enbridge intend on providing 24 hour supervision of the entire pipeline from accidental and terrorist incidents. the catastrophic results of a pipeline breach cannot be minimized.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 663 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » May 5th, 2012, 12:26 pm

waynetyea wrote:let them come. let us build them and let them pay for the refinery located in the middle supplying all we need at least. and a big one near the end so we can sell a finished product and really make them all pay deeply

who is "them" exactly? No company with any sort of mandate to maximizing value for their shareholders can justify building a refinery given the economics, no environmentalist would ever let it happen, and no government should be financing any sort of private business venture, especially a money-losing venture like this one, with taxpayer cash. It makes no sense, from any angle, so therefore, there is no "they" in this scenario.
Justin Trudeau is a peanut-chucking snollygoster snowflake. But he has nice dimples. Remember, the hypocrisy of the Left knows no bounds.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 20239 posts

Postby GordonH » May 5th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Yup, money losing alright 9.8 billion first quarter profits for Exxon Mobil.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8430 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby albertabound » May 5th, 2012, 1:37 pm

The way some tourists are treated in the province you should reley on oil because you are slowly losing them. :sunshine:
albertabound
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Postby The Green Barbarian » May 5th, 2012, 1:58 pm

GordonH wrote:Yup, money losing alright 9.8 billion first quarter profits for Exxon Mobil.

how much of that was from refining? Good grief, this is such a ridiculous stat as it doesn't even warrant an apples vs oranges comparison. How much do any of the people advocating for refineries in BC to be built even know about the oil and gas industry? Seriously.
Justin Trudeau is a peanut-chucking snollygoster snowflake. But he has nice dimples. Remember, the hypocrisy of the Left knows no bounds.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby hobbyguy » May 5th, 2012, 2:31 pm

albertabound wrote:The way some tourists are treated in the province you should reley on oil because you are slowly losing them. :sunshine:

Only the ones that have the belief that Alberta is "the new center of the universe".
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10427 posts

Postby GordonH » May 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm

quote="GordonH"
Yup, money losing alright 9.8 billion first quarter profits for Exxon Mobil.

The Green Barbarian wrote:how much of that was from refining? Good grief, this is such a ridiculous stat as it doesn't even warrant an apples vs oranges comparison. How much do any of the people advocating for refineries in BC to be built even know about the oil and gas industry? Seriously.

The only sector with any chance job growth in Canada is Oil industry, unless you are aware of something GB.
Refineries do not have to be built in BC (that would be called derailing the thread). As Canadians we have always shipped our raw resource out and purchased finish product back.
Bottom-line Canada is resource built country with-out it our standard of living would match that of some third world nations.
What little manufacturing we did has been mostly shipped off shore.

Yes GB I read your mind now, you're a leftist blah......blah.....blah, No I'm looking for area this country could grow jobs the people who need & want them. Just that simple.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby The Green Barbarian » May 5th, 2012, 3:29 pm

GordonH wrote:
Yes GB I read your mind now, you're a leftist blah......blah.....blah, No I'm looking for area this country could grow jobs the people who need & want them. Just that simple.

what? I'm no leftist - not sure where you got that from.

Answer these questions that no one else seems willing to answer:

1. Where should we build the refineries?
2. Where is the demand for refined product? Does it currently exceed supply? If not, why build more?
3. How are you going to get environmental approval? Can you tell all the enviro-nuts to shut the hell up for once? Good luck with that, protesting against anything and everything oil is their full-time jobs.
4. Who is going to build the refineries? Related - who is going to put up the capital to build them?

It's so easy to say that "jobs" come from oil and gas industries, but once you get past that, it's pretty difficult to build a business case for more refining capacity being built in Canada. I know the foolish idiots running the NDP are arguing for this refinery plan, but when you build a party out of teachers, labour leaders and poverty-advocates, with no business acumen whatsoever, it's not hard to see why they come up with some of the dumbest ideas in the history of Canadian politics. They wouldn't know how to manage a lemonade stand, let alone a refinery, and so how the hell does the NDP get off with this stupid policy decision? I know the soundbite appeals to the uneducated - "keep the refining jobs in Canada" - but it's in the details that this foolish soundbite completely falls apart. We won't create any jobs by building refineries, as no one needs them.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby albertabound » May 5th, 2012, 3:45 pm

:sunshine: Hobby you have it backwords it is you who think you are the center of the universe.Albertans are hard working and very nice, they even tolerate idiots who come and complain that too many visit.That is all you have is tourisim, so suck it up and be nice. Some of you remind me of quebec, take take, but do nothing in return. Must be the politics, quebec is socialit and you love the ndp , and people like the liberals.Do something for yourselves and develop an industry and not just cry about it. :trippyquoter: :trippyquoter: :trippyquoter:
albertabound
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Postby GordonH » May 5th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Okay, then build pipeline West, IMO forget the one south. Wait for them to come knocking at our door before doing anymore, with that one.
Because someone does want our bitumen. It is a shame to see could be though.
short list of what made from oil

I was not calling you leftist, I was reading your mind as to what I was.

Just want to see job created here Canada first
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby xjeepguy » May 5th, 2012, 4:02 pm

MCB wrote:The oil industry feeds my family (and several others!) locally, so I'll sip a cold one to that! :discodance:

X2 !
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1114 posts

Postby steven lloyd » May 5th, 2012, 4:06 pm

MCB wrote:The oil industry feeds my family (and several others!) locally, so I'll sip a cold one to that! :discodance:

Follow the link just provided by Gordon. The oil industry does far more than that. It is critically important to everyone.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3307 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room