Pipelines across BC

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Pipelines across BC

Postby Merry » Dec 4th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Regardless of whether the process is a judicial one or a legislative one, it certainly would appear that polluters in the States are expected to contribute a heck of a lot more to cleaning up their messes than they are in Canada. And one has to wonder about the reason for that?
Most of the companies in the oil patch are American, so if they can afford to cover more of the cost Stateside, why does our Government feel they are unable to foot more of the bill here? It doesn't make any sense.

I'm not opposed to industrial development. Quite the opposite in fact. Canada needs the jobs and revenue such development brings. But I am opposed to giving Corporations a "free pass" when it comes to paying for their mistakes, because if the cost of fixing them is relatively low, there is less incentive to avoid those mistakes in the first place. I recognize that there will always be a Government component to paying for large spills, but it looks to me as if the current legislation is too heavily weighted towards benefiting the offending Corporations. Why is that?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 6441 posts

Re: Pipelines across BC

Postby waynetyea » Dec 10th, 2018, 1:43 pm

and let us control the output for a change. and see how they like that
waynetyea
Fledgling

Liked in: 30 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room