Christy shares her thoughts

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Christy shares her thoughts

Postby Rwede » Jan 23rd, 2013, 4:55 pm

While environmental organizations continued to criticize forest practices,10 the forest-related
industries complained that the Forest Practices Code Act was too prescriptive and cumbersome,
added to the cost of industrial wood and made the BC forest industry less competitive.11 For
example, the Code had numerical tables that set forth restrictions on the number of trees that
could be cut within different riparian buffer zones: there were "Riparian Management Areas,"
"Riparian Reserve Zones," and "Riparian Management Zones," which differed in width
depending which of eight classifications the stream fell into. For each type of buffer and each
type of stream, a certain percentage of trees had to be maintained, and other restrictions were
applied, such as on road building.12 A separate set of tables existed for five classes of wetlands
and five classes of lakes.13 The Code also required that soil disturbance be generally limited to
10% of a logged area, or 5% for "sensitive soils."14 Such hard and fast numbers, while
susceptible of enforcement, were burdensome to keep track of and to administer. Also, the
inflexibility of this "command-and-control" style of regulation failed to allow for locational
variations and quashed innovation in forest practices.

An accounting firm was retained to study the costs in BC of logging, and found that delivered
wood costs had increased from $50 per cubic metre in 1992 to $87 in 1995. The largest part of
this cost increase was attributable to increased stumpage fees, but $12 of that increase was
attributable to the forest industries adoption of the Code in 1994. And to be sure, the forestry
industry in BC has been struggling. Government revenues from the forestry sector declined from
$1.8 billion in 1997 to $1.2 billion in 2002, a 33% drop. In that same time period, 27 mills
closed and 13,000 jobs have disappeared.

http://www.law.ubc.ca/files/pdf/enlaw/f ... _20_09.pdf
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5120 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Jan 23rd, 2013, 5:01 pm

Pretty desperate eh dickie? Now you have to resort to reposting something you already posted?

Do you also shout at people who may not understand English? Are you an American?
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6137 posts

Postby Urbane » Jan 23rd, 2013, 5:18 pm

flamingfingers wrote:^^ Oh, I brought up the subject and was rounded upon quite viciously by people who felt that the title of *bleep* was quite acceptable and even complimentary... as did CC herself. So I have changed my ways and will continue to use that honorific as it has been deemed by people on these forums to be quite acceptable.

You're rewriting history again and in this case it's the history of posts on here. You were the one who viciously attacked the premier for treating the *bleep* question from the interviewer lightly and with a sense of humour. She moved on but apparently you can't. You've shown time and time again on here that you disrespect the premier, in part, because she's a woman. And clinging to the notion that only males can be sexist against women is pretty pathetic. We get it. You can't stand Christy Clark and you've trivialized any reasonable assessment of her as premier by demeaning her in every way possible. She wiggles, she winks, she has two may photo-ops (apparently the NDP never have photo-ops), she's too good looking and by looking good she's trying to attract male voters . . . and on and on it goes. Your obsession is sad and I genuinely feel sorry for you.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10463 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Jan 23rd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Urb wrote:

"...she's too good looking..."

Good Lord Man! I have NEVER called her that!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Jan 23rd, 2013, 5:42 pm

Posting an unflattering picture of Christy Clark somehow make you feel better about yourself flaming? Sad.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10463 posts

Postby NAB » Jan 23rd, 2013, 6:16 pm

[quote="Rwede?] blah blah blah [/quote]

Work on it Dickie. It'll sink in eventually perhaps but perhaps not. Sometimes I think you cannot see the forest for the trees LOL.

Besides....

Copy right © 2007 Shi-Ling Hsu. This case study was developed for educational purposes only, and not intended as
commentary or opinion on any aspect of the problem.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 23rd, 2013, 6:49 pm

Rwede wrote:While environmental organizations continued to criticize forest practices,10 the forest-related
industries complained that the Forest Practices Code Act was too prescriptive and cumbersome,
added to the cost of industrial wood and made the BC forest industry less competitive.11 For
example, the Code had numerical tables that set forth restrictions on the number of trees that
could be cut within different riparian buffer zones: there were "Riparian Management Areas,"
"Riparian Reserve Zones," and "Riparian Management Zones," which differed in width
depending which of eight classifications the stream fell into. For each type of buffer and each
type of stream, a certain percentage of trees had to be maintained, and other restrictions were
applied, such as on road building.12 A separate set of tables existed for five classes of wetlands
and five classes of lakes.13 The Code also required that soil disturbance be generally limited to
10% of a logged area, or 5% for "sensitive soils."14 Such hard and fast numbers, while
susceptible of enforcement, were burdensome to keep track of and to administer. Also, the
inflexibility of this "command-and-control" style of regulation failed to allow for locational
variations and quashed innovation in forest practices.

An accounting firm was retained to study the costs in BC of logging, and found that delivered
wood costs had increased from $50 per cubic metre in 1992 to $87 in 1995. The largest part of
this cost increase was attributable to increased stumpage fees, but $12 of that increase was
attributable to the forest industries adoption of the Code in 1994. And to be sure, the forestry
industry in BC has been struggling. Government revenues from the forestry sector declined from
$1.8 billion in 1997 to $1.2 billion in 2002, a 33% drop. In that same time period, 27 mills
closed and 13,000 jobs have disappeared.

http://www.law.ubc.ca/files/pdf/enlaw/f ... _20_09.pdf

Quite true. Of course, now that you've shown FF and Nab to be completely wrong, all they can do is post an unflattering pic of Christy Clark.

It's fact that the BC forest industry was decimated by the NDP's Forest Practices Code. That Act also led to salvage permits for beetle outbreaks being put on a 5 year approval timeline, when the wood needed to be harvested within a few months to stop the spread of the beetle in attacked areas. That in turn gave the beetle such a massive foothold that we now have lost 80% of our pine forests, and thousands of jobs are lost, in addition to billions of dollars for our provincial treasury. The NDP is THE reason for the collapse of what was once the #1 industry in BC with what they did in the 1990s.
Hey Horgan, orange and green mixed together make brown, and that's the colour of crap!
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3147 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Jan 23rd, 2013, 6:57 pm

^
Last edited by flamingfingers on Jan 24th, 2013, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby NAB » Jan 23rd, 2013, 7:00 pm

More nonsense there FD, and even that document, if you read the whole thing, indicates there were a great many reasons for the decline in the forest industry (many of them created by the industry itself). And after over decade of Liberal rule most of them haven't been fixed yet, and probably never will be. And I never posted any pictures at all in this thread, unflattering of Christy or otherwise. I judge Christy strictly by her performance as unelected premier of BC - and so far it's simply pathetic in my view.

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby logicalview » Jan 23rd, 2013, 7:18 pm

So far from Maplefingers I've seen personal insults, mass amounts of regurgitation, immaturity, and blatant examples of her not understanding even basic concepts like how foolish the NDP acted in the 1990's in regards to the forestry industry. I have sat here patiently waiting for tired Sheriff Nab, self appointed forum conscience, to come riding in on his tired old nag, rusty six shooter drawn, the theme from Bonanza blaring, as he sternly reprimanded *bleep* for her poor forum decorem. And yet nothing has happened. This bi-partisan totally unbiased bastien of goodness has said nary a word. Is it that he's too busy calculating the HST on his Geritol? Or chasing away the neighbour kids before they can set up a lemonade stand on the street in front of his house? Enquring minds want to know. Where is Sheriff Nab to discipline the bitter old outlaw Black Fingers? Where?
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of fecal matter by the clean end.
logicalview
Guru

Liked in: 1927 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 23rd, 2013, 7:22 pm

NAB wrote:More nonsense there FD, and even that document, if you read the whole thing, indicates there were a great many reasons for the decline in the forest industry (many of them created by the industry itself). And after over decade of Liberal rule most of them haven't been fixed yet, and probably never will be. And I never posted any pictures at all in this thread, unflattering of Christy or otherwise. I judge Christy strictly by her performance as unelected premier of BC - and so far it's simply pathetic in my view.

Nab

What do you know about the forest industry? What do you know about the forest industry's finances and the Forest Practices Code?
Hey Horgan, orange and green mixed together make brown, and that's the colour of crap!
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Jan 23rd, 2013, 7:34 pm

^^ Here is a hint lil'dude:

there were a great many reasons for the decline in the forest industry (many of them created by the industry itself). And after over decade of Liberal rule most of them haven't been fixed yet, and probably never will be.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 23rd, 2013, 7:50 pm

^^^ Here's a hint, sour-puss: Nab knows nothing, neither do you, about the forest industry. You'd never even heard of the Forest Practices Code until it was mentioned here.

You were proven blatantly wrong a couple of pages back, yet refuse to admit it. Just like the NDP was blatantly wrong when they brought in that destructive legislation, yet refused to admit it.

I consulted through KPMG to some of our forest industry clients in northern BC back in my working days. Every one of them laid people off and reduced their operations because of that legislation. One closed completely. Most had to turn to private wood sales to get enough timber to run their mills even after slowing down, because the NDP made their tenure wood too expensive to harvest. It was absolutely brutal for folks in the industry who lost their jobs, good paying jobs at that. And it was the NDP's stupidity as they tried to garner the green vote that did it. It was a terrible time in BC's history.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Jan 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

^^ And what have the Liberals done to rectify this so called 'atrocity' and eliminate the pine beetle which has existed in BC forests for over 100 years?

They have had over a decade to do this, so tell me how they have miraculously turned the forest industry around. Thanks. Riddle me this and I may even consider voting for the ChristyLiberal *bleep* party.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby maple leaf » Jan 23rd, 2013, 8:12 pm

Liberals sure have done wonders with BC forestry ,they have only had 12 years to change and make better anything the NDP did.
http://guidetobceconomy.org/major_indus ... oresty.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
― Albert Einstein
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 481 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room