Cost vs benefit - we pay; Christy 'benefits'

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Cost vs benefit - we pay; Christy 'benefits'

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 16th, 2014, 4:19 pm

One of the members of the entourage:

Sukhi Bath Motors Premium Used Car Dealership in Surrey ...
www.sukhibathmotors.com/
Sukhi Bath Motors has been in the auto sales business since 1983 and offers exceptional vehicle financing rates regardless of credit history.

*bleep*!!???
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5741 posts

Postby Urbane » Oct 16th, 2014, 4:28 pm

VANCOUVER - Premier Christy Clark departs today on the India Trade Mission, and will be joined by Minister of Advanced Education Amrik Virk. They will be leading a delegation of over 70 companies and post-secondary institutions to reinforce B.C.’s economic and cultural ties with India, promote further investment in B.C. and expand exports as part of the BC Jobs Plan.

“One of the keys to doing business internationally is building relationships,” said Clark. “Trade missions allow us to make connections that open doors to long-term trade and investment and create opportunities for research and student exchanges. As we continue to make inroads into the Asia Pacific market, we are seeing these partnerships create more economic opportunities - and more jobs at home.”

Throughout the trade mission from Oct. 9-18, 2014, which will make stops in New Delhi, Chandigarh, Bangalore and Mumbai, Clark and Virk will promote the strength of key B.C. sectors, including liquefied natural gas and other natural resources, clean technology, life sciences, film, digital arts and finance. The trade mission will also showcase B.C. as India’s fastest and most efficient gateway to North American markets.

Minister Virk will also travel to Bangalore to raise awareness of the great potential for secondary and post-secondary education partnerships, joint research initiatives, and student exchange between B.C. and India.

“India’s young demographics and growing middle class make it one of the world’s fastest-growing economies,” said Virk. “In the post-secondary sector, we’re already seeing the benefits of the work we’ve done to build relationships with India. Compared to other international countries, India has the second-highest number of agreements with B.C.’s public post-secondary institutions and we look forward to building on that on this trade mission.”

Trade missions are a critical part of British Columbia’s strategy to diversify its international trading partners and secure new investment, propelling economic activity and job creation throughout the province. The last three major Premier-led missions to Asian markets resulted in business deals and partnership agreements valued at over $1.8 billion.

India is identified as a key export market in the BC Jobs Plan, and is already emerging as an important trade and investment partner for B.C. For example, in 2013, B.C. goods exported to India jumped by 46% to $469 million compared to the same period in 2012.

This trade mission will build on the success of the Premier’s Jobs and Trade Mission to China and India in 2011 by strengthening B.C.’s relationships with government partners and promoting the province’s competitive advantages in corporate meetings with key investors in priority sectors.

Quick facts:

Between 2001 and 2013, trade between India and B.C. has increased by more than 296%.
The top commodity exports to India in 2013 were mineral products, wood products, pulp, and machinery and equipment.
British Columbia has expanded its trade and investment network in India with trade and investment representatives located in Bangalore, Mumbai and Chandigarh.
India is part of our International Education Strategy, which includes the goal of a 50% increase to the number of international students studying in B.C. by 2016.
In 2012-13, there were 4,600 international students from India studying in B.C., including 2,600 in public post-secondary institutions and 2,000 in private post-secondary institutions.
http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/10/i ... or-bc.html
"If you don't read the press you are uninformed. If you read the press, you are misinformed."
~Mark Twain
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8468 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 16th, 2014, 4:37 pm

This has been posted time and again Urb. But tell me, what is the advantage of taking Sukhi Bath used car people on a TRADE mission to India? Obviously Sukhi Bath has MANY connections in India already.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Oct 16th, 2014, 4:57 pm

flamingfingers wrote:This has been posted time and again Urb. But tell me, what is the advantage of taking Sukhi Bath used car people on a TRADE mission to India? Obviously Sukhi Bath has MANY connections in India already.
Maybe you've just answered your own question. I don't know for sure and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The trade mission seems to be a terrific idea to me so one needs to keep the forest in mind when looking for problem trees, don't you think?
"If you don't read the press you are uninformed. If you read the press, you are misinformed."
~Mark Twain
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 16th, 2014, 5:02 pm

So you are just fine with the BC taxpayers paying to carry coals to Newcastle, eh?

Be nice to know how much Sukhi Bath Group contributed to the ChristyLiberal Party over the past while.....
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Oct 16th, 2014, 5:16 pm

flamingfingers wrote:So you are just fine with the BC taxpayers paying to carry coals to Newcastle, eh?

Be nice to know how much Sukhi Bath Group contributed to the ChristyLiberal Party over the past while.....
No Indo-Canadians wanted on the trade mission as far as your concerned, eh?
~Mark Twain
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 16th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Oh now you are trying to play the 'race card' aren't you?

My point is: Why is a used car company going on a TRADE mission to India for openers and for seconders: The businessman of this company obviously already has business relationships in India, so why is he included in a TRADE mission when dear Christy has emphasized the TRADE mission is focused on LNG and education?

BTW: Amrik Virk was born in India and obviously has ties there; however, he is Minister of Advanced Education in BC and I have no problem with him being included in this mission. I am also quite sure that there are LNG representatives who are Canadians of East Indian extraction; I am sure there are other members accompanying the entourage who are also Canadians of East Indian extraction and so long as they are legitimate representatives of the BC government, I have no concerns whatsoever.

I find your comment particularly offensive to me personally as my extended family (grandchildren) are Canadians of East Indian extraction and for you to even hint that there may be a racist element to my post borders on a personal attack.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Oct 16th, 2014, 5:54 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
    Oh now you are trying to play the 'race card' aren't you?

My point is: Why is a used car company going on a TRADE mission to India for openers and for seconders: The businessman of this company obviously already has business relationships in India, so why is he included in a TRADE mission when dear Christy has emphasized the TRADE mission is focused on LNG and education?

BTW: Amrik Virk was born in India and obviously has ties there; however, he is Minister of Advanced Education in BC and I have no problem with him being included in this mission. I am also quite sure that there are LNG representatives who are Canadians of East Indian extraction; I am sure there are other members accompanying the entourage who are also Canadians of East Indian extraction and so long as they are legitimate representatives of the BC government, I have no concerns whatsoever.

I find your comment particularly offensive to me personally as my extended family (grandchildren) are Canadians of East Indian extraction and for you to even hint that there may be a racist element to my post borders on a personal attack.
I didn't bring up the race/ethnicity issue. You did with your "coals to Newcastle" comment and this: "Obviously Sukhi Bath has MANY connections in India already.." And you mention Amrik Virk. So if one Indo-Canadian, Amrik Virk, is going on the trip that somehow means that another Indo-Candian shouldn't? I don't know all the details regarding how and why each trade mission member was selected but if I were you I'd be careful about saying the sort of things that you're saying and then playing the victim card. I'm in favour of the trade mission and again, I won't be losing any sleep over the composition of that mission particularly if the mission is successful.
~Mark Twain
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 16th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Urb wrote:

You are the one who brought the subject up.

And you also said:

..particularly if the mission is successful.

I am still waiting to hear how 'successful' Christy's 5 previous "trade missions' have been... got any proven facts on those Urb?

What about all the 'investments' that resulted from the $13 million Bollywood Awards that we paid for?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Oct 16th, 2014, 6:20 pm

^^ I'll let your previous comments speak for themselves flaming and as for anything that comes out of this trade mission or came out of previous ones I'm sure that you'll be exceedingly unhappy.
~Mark Twain
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 16th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Urbane wrote:^^ I'll let your previous comments speak for themselves flaming and as for anything that comes out of this trade mission or came out of previous ones I'm sure that you'll be exceedingly unhappy.

Well Urb, I am sure that if there had been anything positive coming from the 5 previous 'trade missions' it would have been trumpeted from on high, expounded and propounded by the media and spouted often in the Leg. Or do you have inside information that shows the citizens of BC have been rewarded by our 'investments' in these trade missions - or have we simply paid for a Christy 'holiday excursion'..
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby maryjane48 » Oct 16th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Code: Select all
we simply paid for a Christy 'holiday excursion'..
i will go with this
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2658 posts

Postby csm » Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:37 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posted in all caps.
Apathy = the Death of Freedom - be accountable or be a slave!
csm

Liked in: 13 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room