Christy absent 70% of the time!

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Christy absent 70% of the time!!

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 28th, 2014, 7:38 am

Premier only interested in seeing things her way

By Michael Smyth, The Province November 28, 2014 2:53 AM

Premier Christy Clark defended her spotty attendance record at the legislature Thursday, saying she did her best to show up but she has a little thing called British Columbia to run.

“My goal was to be here for half of the questions periods,” Clark told me during an interview on the final day of the fall legislative session.

“I try to make it as often as I can.”

But as it turned out, that wasn’t very often.

Clark showed up at the legislature on just eight days since the start of October, a period when the legislature sat for 24 days.
That brought stinging criticism from NDP leader John Horgan, but Clark returned fire.

“The leader of the Opposition isn’t running the province — he isn’t running anything,” she said.

I asked her if she thought a 33-per-cent attendance record was something to be proud of.

“I had to go to Regina to meet the other premiers for a transportation conference,” she said. “I had to go to India to drum up jobs for B.C.”

She said there were days when she took every single question fired at the government during question period, even ones not directed her way.

“Did my predecessor (Gordon Campbell) do that? Did W.A.C. Bennett do that? Did Bill Bennett do that?”

But here’s the thing: Clark was AWOL from the legislature for many days when her government was getting rocked for wrongdoing.

That includes the behaviour of Advanced Education Minister Amrik Virk, who was part of a scheme at Kwantlen University to circumvent executive salary caps and funnel extra loot to the school’s senior bosses.

Many critics — including this newspaper — called on Virk to resign. But Clark defended her embattled minister.

“Amrik Virk has said he made a mistake,” Clark said. “He apologized for making that mistake. I accept that.”

I asked Clark this question: If she was back on the opposition benches, and it was an NDP cabinet minister in the same jam, would she give him the same pass?

“The job of the opposition is to stand up every day and try to divert people’s attention away from the good things the government is doing,” she answered. “That is their sole purpose.”

So that means if the NDP was in power, she would be demanding a resignation in the same circumstances?

“I don’t know what I’d be doing,” she said.

Oh, come on Christy! You know you would be screaming blue bloody murder!

And if an NDP premier didn’t show up for a full two-thirds of a legislative session, she would go ballistic over that, too.

Don’t doubt it. Not for a second.

twitter.com/MikeSmythNews
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

Hurtlander likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6294 posts

Postby Bsuds » Nov 28th, 2014, 7:44 am

I always thought she wasn't all there. lol
Common sense is like deodorant, the people who need it most never use it.

4 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 10707 posts

Postby Hurtlander » Nov 28th, 2014, 8:25 am

It certainly is sad that if anyone dares point out Christys obvious lack of understanding on most any issue, or her lopsided view of reality, the Christy supporters first knee jerk reaction is to call those people all kinds of childish names, and label them extreme leftists. The reality is that most of the folks who openly criticize Christy are not leftists, nor do they vote NDP, they just want to be represented by intelligent fiscally responsible politicians who actually represent all British Columbians, not just their corporate masters special interests...

5 people like this post.
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 3943 posts

Postby mr.bandaid » Nov 28th, 2014, 8:56 am

When the complaints come from the NDP, a party that has about as much virility as a castrated dog, I don't really notice or care. I am not a liberal supporter and have stated many times on here that we need a viable opposition, the NDP have lost that position.
Having said this, what exactly has not been achieved at the legislature? Just because the NPD can't ask their stupid questions to the Premier herself does not actually mean that she is not involved. I would personally rather see my MLA working in my district then watching her butt grow on a seat in the legislature.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 people like this post.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1618 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 28th, 2014, 9:32 am

madmudder wrote:
Keith Baldrey is Christy Clarks personal lapdog. He's just another Glowball puppet news reader for the Liberals.
His opinion is worth about as much as the moronic brain dead righty supporters on this site. The only way to support the Keith and the Liberals is if your dumb deaf and blind and suffering from dementia.

It certainly is sad that if anyone dares point out the NDP's obvious lack of understanding on most any issue, or their lopsided view of reality, the NDP supporters first knee jerk reaction is to call those people all kinds of childish names, and label them extreme right-wingers. The reality is that most of the folks who openly criticize the NDP are not right-wing, nor do they vote Liberal, they just want to be represented by intelligent fiscally responsible politicians who actually represent all British Columbians, not just their union masters' special interests...

It also is sad that massive hypocrites can post sanctimonious nonsense about "childish names" yet "like" a post chock full of childish names. And it is sad that there are people out there waiting anxiously for any news whatsoever about our premier for the sole purpose of pouncing on said news and spinning it into the most negative possible view. These people are truly to be pitied, as they must have some form of mental illness that is driving this action. They need help in the worst way possible.

Finally - to all those who feel that these constant anti-Clark threads are in anyway helping your NDP cause - you've lost four elections in a row with this strategy, while continuing to ignore your own knitting. Do you really think that this is the way to go anymore? Speaking of mental illness - the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The NDP and their supporters must be insane, as even the dimmest bulb should have caught on that what they are doing just isn't working. We definitely need another option in this province to vote for. The Liberals definitely need to go. But the NDP isn't the other option. And that's what's truly sad.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys

Urbane likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15904 posts

Re: Christy absent 70% of the time!

Postby mr.bandaid » Nov 28th, 2014, 10:06 am

Global BC is definitely right leaning as are our local news papers. Kiss the butt of those in power is not an unusual tact for the media to take (unless you include the Tyee as media). We have three more years of the liberals and unless something changes drastically, there is no foreseeable change in the future. What is needed is a party to represent the middle to lower income people of this province. The NDP have distanced themselves from labour and the liberals have always been pro business. I guess what you have to ask yourselves is which party of these two are making a difference in that demographic?
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Rwede » Nov 28th, 2014, 10:08 am

The NDP shows up 'cause that's the closest they can get to Victoria. They'll never have the key to the door, as evidenced by their and their STUPID supporters who don't even know what the job description is for Premier. They have to sit outside and wait for the leaders to unlock the door for them!

Four straight election losses, and here they are handing Christy a landslide in 2017 by their actions. Man, these NDP bozos have got to be the DUMBEST batch yet!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Urbane likes this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5120 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 28th, 2014, 10:30 am

mrs.bandaid wrote:. What is needed is a party to represent the middle to lower income people of this province.

I see people say this a lot and I wonder - what more do these people need? They pay almost no taxes, they get their medical care for free, they are incentivized in many ways to NOT earn more money or they lose all of these benefits. What is it that they need? I am curious. It is easy to say that they are "unrepresented" and cry about this and that, but it is a lot harder to demonstrate what these needs are. MORE welfare? My neighbor would agree with you, it certainly would ease the pressure on her nineteen year old son to put the bong down and get a job.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 28th, 2014, 11:05 am

mrs.bandaid wrote:When the complaints come from the NDP, a party that has about as much virility as a castrated dog, I don't really notice or care. I am not a liberal supporter and have stated many times on here that we need a viable opposition, the NDP have lost that position.
Having said this, what exactly has not been achieved at the legislature? Just because the NPD can't ask their stupid questions to the Premier herself does not actually mean that she is not involved. I would personally rather see my MLA working in my district then watching her butt grow on a seat in the legislature.

a clean up at a mine tailings pond hasnt happened yet , you satisfied with that? the thing is it is plainly evident your in same boat as some the other posters on here , letting the hate for one party get in the way of seeing the truth
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 28th, 2014, 11:47 am

lakevixen wrote: a clean up at a mine tailings pond hasnt happened yet , you satisfied with that? the thing is it is plainly evident your in same boat as some the other posters on here , letting the hate for one party get in the way of seeing the truth

LOL - you are exactly right.
- Dr. Don Boys

Urbane likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby mr.bandaid » Nov 28th, 2014, 11:52 am

All I am saying GB is that the majority of the people of this province are not represented by the current governments.

daria likes this post.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 28th, 2014, 12:06 pm

mrs.bandaid wrote:All I am saying GB is that the majority of the people of this province are not represented by the current governments.

so what's the solution? More government? You can't please all of the people all of the time. But you can ensure that their voice is heard. One way is through protests, which make people feel good because they are "doing something" I guess, but they don't seem to ever accomplish much. Another way is to actually speak to the elected representatives about your issues. If they aren't responding, then the media is a means as well of being heard.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby GordonH » Nov 28th, 2014, 12:11 pm

mrs.bandaid wrote:All I am saying GB is that the majority of the people of this province are not represented by the current governments.

Only way to correct this is to have at least 75% (higher would be better) of registered voters actual cast a vote in the Provincial elections.

Fat chance that will ever happen, since public appear to not give a damn.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7220 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby mr.bandaid » Nov 28th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Imagine GB if you had 2 governments that kept each other in check. We don't have that right now and it does not look like we will have that any time soon.
Gordo, you proabably have a better chance of getting voters out if they thought for one second that their vote counted past the election. You must agree that once the election is over nothing much attention is given to the electorate until a few months prior to the next election. Then the moon is promised, babies are kissed and sweaty palms are shaken.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby GordonH » Nov 28th, 2014, 5:24 pm

mrs.bandaid wrote:Gordo, you proabably have a better chance of getting voters out if they thought for one second that their vote counted past the election. You must agree that once the election is over nothing much attention is given to the electorate until a few months prior to the next election. Then the moon is promised, babies are kissed and sweaty palms are shaken.

They do count, unfortunately if they (they being the voters) don't make a noise and actually speak up. The sitting Government will assume all is good.
Keeping the Government in check is not a 1 day every 4 year thing.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7220 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room