Christy absent 70% of the time!

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Christy absent 70% of the time!

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Smurf wrote:Urbane what would you think of a principal that came to school 70% of the time. They could still be working but would you think they were doing their job. Comparing a teacher not being in the classroom is not quite the same as the boss not being in the building.
Actually, Smurf, you'd be surprised how much time principals (at least secondary principals) spend elsewhere rather than in their own school. There are administrators' meetings, meetings with directors, meetings with the superintendent, administrator pro-d etc. and so your 70% figure might not be too far off. KGT only had one principal who was away a lot but all of mine were so perhaps that's a difference between elementary and secondary. Anyway, remember that flaming's point was that the premier wasn't "showing up for work" when she wasn't in the Legislature and that's pretty ridiculous to say that a trade mission to China (for example) is not "work." It's also like saying that a teacher doing pro-d, marking, or prepping isn't working. Very ignorant.

It's all politics Smurf. I have no doubt that if the shoe were on the other foot Christy Clark would be telling everyone that Adrian Dix should be in the Legislature more and that he shouldn't have his picture taken when new programs are introduced. In the end these petty political issues don't matter so much because it comes down to the economy and jobs when elections roll around. Should Christy Clark have attended more sessions of the Legislature this fall? Probably yes but I won't be losing any sleep over it and I won't suddenly vote for a party that is irrelevant as a protest.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 11869 posts

Postby KGT » Nov 29th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Urbane wrote:Actually, Smurf, you'd be surprised how much time principals (at least secondary principals) spend elsewhere rather than in their own school. There are administrators' meetings, meetings with directors, meetings with the superintendent, administrator pro-d etc. and so your 70% figure might not be too far off. KGT only had one principal who was away a lot but all of mine were so perhaps that's a difference between elementary and secondary.

I disagree, at least at the elementary level. Most Principals are at school and available at all times, except for the monthly Sups meeting.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 887 posts

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 4:26 pm

KGT wrote:I disagree, at least at the elementary level. Most Principals are at school and available at all times, except for the monthly Sups meeting.
Yes, as I said, it may well be different at the elementary level but at the secondary level, from my personal experience, principals are most definitely not available at all times.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 29th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Urb wrote:
Yes, as I said, it may well be different at the elementary level but at the secondary level, from my personal experience, principals are most definitely not available at all times.

Do they not carry cellphones? There is no excuse for a principal 'not being available at all times'.
Give a voice to more people - vote Pro rep!!!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6461 posts

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 4:39 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Do they not carry cellphones? There is no excuse for a principal 'not being available at all times'.

Does the premier have a cell phone? Of course she does and she can be reached by those who need to at any time. You're shooting down your own thesis about the premier "not showing up for work" when she's not in the Legislature. Silly, silly, silly, silly . . .
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 29th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Urbane wrote:Does the premier have a cell phone? Of course she does and she can be reached by those who need to at any time. You're shooting down your own thesis about the premier "not showing up for work" when she's not in the Legislature. Silly, silly, silly, silly . . .

I assure you Urbane, that I have not written a 'thesis' or asked to defend it with regard to the premier 'not showing up for work'. A principal is OTJ for around 200 days per year; the legislature sits for perhaps a quarter of that time. Is it really too much to ask of our illustrious and fearless leader to clear her calendar for a mere 24 days to show up for the work of the legislature?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 4:57 pm

flamingfingers wrote:I assure you Urbane, that I have not written a 'thesis' or asked to defend it with regard to the premier 'not showing up for work'. A principal is OTJ for around 200 days per year; the legislature sits for perhaps a quarter of that time. Is it really too much to ask of our illustrious and fearless leader to clear her calendar for a mere 24 days to show up for the work of the legislature?

As useless as the NDP opposition has been I still would have advised the premier to spend more days in the Legislature. When she was there she made the NDP look even more inept than usual. However, I disagree completely with your thesis that the premier is "not showing up for work" when she goes on a trade mission, attends a meeting with union or business leaders, meets with constituents, attends an opening of a new building, highway, or hospital, or otherwise carries out her duties as premier. Pretending that not showing up in the Legislature is "not showing up for work" is silly.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 29th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Urb wrote:

As useless as the NDP opposition has been I still would have advised the premier to spend more days in the Legislature. When she was there she made them look even more inept. However, I disagree completely with your thesis that the premier is "not showing up for work" when she goes on a trade mission, attends a meeting with union or business leaders, meets with constituents, attends an opening of a new building, highway, or hospital, or otherwise carries her duties as premier. Pretending that not showing up in the Legislature is "not showing up for work" is silly.

Here you go again with reference to the NDP which has no relevance in this thread.
Can I remind you again, that I have not written or defended a THESIS regarding dear Christy.

Christy's 'trade mission to India' had her leaving on October 9, returning on October 18.

The legislature sat on October 6, 7, 8, and 9. It resumed on October 20 and sat 4 days. It also sat the week of October 27 through October 30. The Leg was in session November 3 to Nov 6 inclusive and resumed November 17 through to November 20, and again November 24 until November 27. For a total of 24 days.

By those calculations, she really only needed to miss October 9.

And I certainly have seen no reports of 'critical issues' in the whole entire province that have required her moment-by-moment hands-on-leadership or decision-making during that time. Photo-ops I would think take a very low priority to leading your party (or at least being there in physical form) while in the legislature.

Smurf likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 5:39 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Here you go again with reference to the NDP which has no relevance in this thread.
Can I remind you again, that I have not written or defended a THESIS regarding dear Christy.

Christy's 'trade mission to India' had her leaving on October 9, returning on October 18.

The legislature sat on October 6, 7, 8, and 9. It resumed on October 20 and sat 4 days. It also sat the week of October 27 through October 30. The Leg was in session November 3 to Nov 6 inclusive and resumed November 17 through to November 20, and again November 24 until November 27. For a total of 24 days.

By those calculations, she really only needed to miss October 9.

And I certainly have seen no reports of 'critical issues' in the whole entire province that have required her moment-by-moment hands-on-leadership or decision-making during that time. Photo-ops I would think take a very low priority to leading your party (or at least being there in physical form) while in the legislature.

Yes, it's puzzling why some people made such a big deal of the India trade mission but it was good to see NDP'er David Schreck defending the premier back in October when he pointed out that she would only miss one day in the Legislature because of the mission. As for other "critical issues" what's not important to you may be very important to others. And just because you don't consider any work she does as actual work unless it's done in the Legislature doesn't mean that very many people would agree with you. Even some of her harshest critics would acknowledge that a premier has much "work" to do out of the Legislature.

I find your comment about the NDP having no relevance in this thread puzzling given that the NDP are the ones posing questions to the premier. However, I will agree that the NDP has no relevance PERIOD. Time for them to get their act together.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 29th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Yes, it's puzzling why some people made such a big deal of the India trade mission but it was good to see NDP'er David Schreck defending the premier back in October when he pointed out that she would only miss one day in the Legislature because of the mission.

But did she show up in the leg on October 20? If not, why not?

As for other "critical issues" what's not important to you may be very important to others.

Can you list the 'critical issues Christy needed to deal with during the time the legislature was sitting?

And just because you don't consider any work she does as actual work unless it's done in the Legislature doesn't mean that very many people would agree with you. Even some of her harshest critics would acknowledge that a premier has much "work" to do out of the Legislature.

The thrust of my argument was the fact that during a scheduled sitting of the legislature, where the government justifies its policies and procedures under questioning from the Opposition, the 'leader' of the governing party was absent 75% of the time. If government can operate without leadership 75% of the time, why do we need this kind of 'leadership' at all?

I find your comment about the NDP having no relevance in this thread puzzling given that the NDP are the ones posing questions to the premier. However, I will agree that the NDP has no relevance PERIOD. Time for them to get their act together.

The NDP are not the only ones posing questions to the government; however, you seem to feel that it is ONLY the NDP that fail in questioning the ChristyLiberals? How about you? Have you EVER written your present MLA to question any of their policies or procedures? Didn't think so.

2 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 6:36 pm

^^ I don't know if the premier was in the BC Legislature on October 20th and I don't really care at this point. I've already said that if I had been advising her I would have urged her to attend more often than she did. Unfortunately, you started off the thread with a comment about Christy Clark "not showing up for work" when she's not in the Legislature and I've simply pointed out the obvious, i.e. that you're flat out wrong. And of course others besides the NDP can ask questions of those in government but since this thread was all about "work" in the "Legislature" that would mainly be the NDP asking questions. Of course it's true that Andrew Weaver of the Green Party is effective in opposition and the premier sent some praise his way when she suggested that he should take over the opposition. True enough!
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 29th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Andrew Weaver and Vicki Huntington have done stellar jobs in the legislature and beyond. They bring up points and opinions that show they are working for their constituents - the people who ACTUALLY voted for them!!

In case you haven't noticed, they are INDEPENDENTS - not clapping seals. Is it any wonder why I encourage people to vote for Independents and not for 'parties'?

2 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ccrider » Nov 29th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Have you ever sat in the Legislature and listened to the childish behaviour of the sitting members? It's embarrassing just to watch them.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to be there....

Smurf likes this post.
Ccrider

Liked in: 95 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 29th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Ccrider wrote:Have you ever sat in the Legislature and listened to the childish behaviour of the sitting members? It's embarrassing just to watch them.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to be there....

but your tax dollars go towards her or any other premier being there. the libs wont be in power for ever and when it is another flavor we will see how ok some of you are with new party in power doing same stuff
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby mr.bandaid » Nov 29th, 2014, 9:22 pm

flamingfingers wrote:^How's your luck with the present West Kelowna MLA?

I gave up in disgust with the previous one and wouldn't want the stress of being *bleep* at the current one. Besides, I have had little to b*(&ch about so far.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1618 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room