Pipelines

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Pipelines

Postby alanjh595 » Apr 7th, 2018, 3:49 pm

1st paragraph from the above noted link.

The oil that slicked trees and blackened lawns has long been cleaned from the homes hardest hit by the rupture of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline five years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby Terris » Apr 7th, 2018, 4:17 pm

The oil industry is long in the tooth and past it's prime.

There are many viable alternate energy sources available and waiting for their time in the sun, but the oil industry has been for too long, dominating the landscape.

Even the founders of the American oil industry, the Rockefellers, have divested $50bn of their funds away from oil and into alternate energy. We should be doing so too.

Time to stop buying into the sales hype, look to the future, and see that it isn't in oil...
Terris
Board Meister

Liked in: 377 posts

Postby Snowbound » Apr 7th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Terris wrote:The oil industry is long in the tooth and past it's prime.

There are many viable alternate energy sources available and waiting for their time in the sun, but the oil industry has been for too long, dominating the landscape.

Even the founders of the American oil industry, the Rockefellers, have divested $50bn of their funds away from oil and into alternate energy. We should be doing so too.

Time to stop buying into the sales hype, look to the future, and see that it isn't in oil...

Again, how do you propose we replace 90 million bbls/day of oil demand?

Funny, these same oil protesters are also against mining in BC. How are you going to build your Green infrastructure without minerals and oil?

I'm all for holding our industry and government accountable for environmental standards, and we should strive to be world class in these areas. Shutting down industry will do nothing but put Canada into the dark ages.

LTD likes this post.
Snowbound

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby Terris » Apr 15th, 2018, 10:51 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana ... e_Oil_Port

Read it and weep...

The whole business model of this pipeline is flawed even before it's been built.

No global buyers will continue to buy unrefined Alberta dilbit at a fixed $80/bbl, just to support Albertans, when the LOOP can export/import 5 times the volume of refined petro products at half that price even if it make take a day or 2 longer to have it delivered.

Remember Christy Clark's LNG boon doggle?

How many more taxpayer dollars will it take to continue to shore up a dying industry?

Given an even playing field, there are several alternate energy sources available, and in fact already on line, that with a year or 2 of investment will take over and replace the need for mass consumption of petro products.

Alberta has had a good run but what do they have to show for it all; besides jacked up trucks and jacked up Okanagan real estate prices?

So yeah, considering all the implications I firmly support those who are declaring Not In My Back Yard...
Terris
Board Meister

Postby Snowbound » Apr 15th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Any idiot with a keyboard can build a Wiki page.

I'll let industry and shareholders decide what is economical or not. Inviting industry investment through tax concessions is hardly "propping up" a dying industry. Not to mention that global demand is rising and will continue to rise, despite "green" technology. The worlds population is growing out of control in the poorest nations. You think they can afford green technology when people in Canada are losing their homes due to $1000 hydro bills?

You keep dodging me. How do you propose we replace 90 million barrels per day of oil demand? Hemp, windmills and solar ain't gonna cut it.

So many people have good intentions, but are so ignorant to the facts and reality of the world we live in.

3 people like this post.
Snowbound

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby Terris » Apr 15th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Wow...

Giving away Canadian taxpayer concessions to an already fattened, wealthy, private, and largely foreign oil industry is somehow, in some person's brain, NOT propping up these dinosaur businesses??

:135:

That's some rich kid thinking there...

The oil supply is finite. Even if we built a magic oil pipeline that wrapped itself, like a big snuggly snaky waky, around the entire planet, we still wouldn't be able to supply the requirements of the globe when the oil runs dry.

The militaries of the world are already fighting for their stake in what's left to keep the war machines lubed.

We literally have no choice but to embrace a reduced oil consumption existence.

I'd suggest you look into what energy sources the Rockefellers have divested their oil billion$ into.

That's the future.

The better option, not only for Alberta and Canada, would be re-engage discussion in building the Keystone pipeline to feed Louisiana.

The Wiki link, as any fool knows makes an ideal pre lube for a shocking injection of reality.

Here's a link to Alberta future past...

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/0 ... -expansion
Terris
Board Meister

Postby AltaRed » Apr 15th, 2018, 8:37 pm

It is even more significant than that https://www.statista.com/statistics/271 ... ince-2006/ Gobal oil demand could be almost 100 million barrels per day in 2018 and barring a recession is likely to continue to grow by 1 million barrels per day (or more) for the foreseeable future.

All the potential biomass, solar and wind power projects in the world can probably only arrest growth and perhaps hold it flat, for years to come. While the western world is doing a better job of slowly decreasing demand, much of the world will see rapidly increasing demand.

We will continue to need pipelines and oil production sources for more generations than any of us contemplate.

Ka-El likes this post.
AltaRed

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Terris » Apr 16th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Terris
Board Meister

Postby Merry » Apr 27th, 2018, 9:01 am

Opponents to pipelines usually tout "alternate energy" as being the best solution. Yet over in Europe, where they've been far ahead of us in subsidizing and utilizing "alternate energy" they are now beginning to turn away from the idea.
Here’s what Canada can learn from Germany, the poster child for the global warming movement. After the German government decided to reduce subsidies to the solar industry in 2012, the industry nose-dived. By this year, virtually every major German solar producer had gone under as new capacity declined by 90 per cent and new investment by 92 per cent. Some 80,000 workers — 70 per cent of the solar workforce — lost their jobs. Solar power’s market share is shrinking and solar panels, having outlived their usefulness, are being retired without being replaced.

Wind power faces a similar fate. Germany has some 29,000 wind turbines, almost all of which have been benefitting from a 20-year subsidy program that began in 2000. Starting in 2020, when subsidies run out for some 5,700 wind turbines, thousands of them each year will lose government support, making the continued operation of most of them uneconomic based on current market prices. To make matters worse, with many of the turbines failing and becoming uneconomic to maintain, they represent an environmental liability and pose the possibility of abandonment. No funds have been set aside to dispose of the blades, which are unrecyclable, or to remove the turbines’ 3,000-tonne reinforced concrete bases, which reach depths of 20 metres, making them a hazard to the aquifers they pierce.

Those who hoped that Germany’s newest coalition government would provide the renewable industries with a reprieve were disappointed last week when Germany’s new economic minister indicated that there would be no turning back. All told, the cost to the German economy of its much-vaunted energy transition to renewables is estimated to reach 2 to 3 trillion euros by 2050.

Germany’s experience is being replicated throughout Europe — as subsidies fall, so does investment in wind turbines and solar plants, and so do jobs in these industries.

In the real world of business and commerce, the cost of renewables makes them unaffordable without intervention by the state.

http://business.financialpost.com/opini ... t-a-chance
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

5 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8676 posts

Postby Snman » Apr 27th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Beautiful post Merry.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

Merry likes this post.
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 984 posts

Postby Terris » Apr 28th, 2018, 5:08 pm

We need to adapt NOW, to the inevitable changes ahead for the current paradigm of petroleum based energy systems, when oil becomes minimally available, too expensive to extract and refine and too environmentally costly.

Casting a glance ahead at this industry only from the perspective of the investor or taxing government agency will not change the inevitability, that this industry is NOT going to viably last into the next century.

https://www.desmog.ca/2018/04/19/myth-a ... lberta-oil
Terris
Board Meister

Postby Jflem1983 » Apr 28th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Terris wrote:We need to adapt NOW, to the inevitable changes ahead for the current paradigm of petroleum based energy systems, when oil becomes minimally available, too expensive to extract and refine and too environmentally costly.

Casting a glance ahead at this industry only from the perspective of the investor or taxing government agency will not change the inevitability, that this industry is NOT going to viably last into the next century.

Lol. Have another cup of orange kool aid
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3276 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Apr 28th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Terris wrote:We need to adapt NOW, to the inevitable changes ahead for the current paradigm of petroleum based energy systems, when oil becomes minimally available, too expensive to extract and refine and too environmentally costly.

Who cares? let the next generation figure it out. If they want to drive, figure it out. You want strawberries in March? figure out for yourself how to get them here.

I am done paving the roads for these ingreats. Let them figure it out for themselves. Don't tax us for everything that we have already provided for them.
I am done. I would rather split firewood for my own heat than pay any more for the comfort of this generation. I am out. I don't care anymore, and they will not take any more from me.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Snman likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby Terris » May 3rd, 2018, 4:50 pm

Exactly...

Embrace the changes coming in the future by going back to the past.

I've always bought my firewood by the logging truckload ($600 for dry fir/larch+ trucking costs) and solar power does work for residential homes. I use it every day for almost 20 yrs now...

Seeing the gas gouging going on right now only confirms the desperation that this twilight industry is experiencing.

There isn't enough easily accessible oil left to justify building a refinery cause it's not likely to be able to pay for itself let alone give profitable return on any investment.

The Rockefellers pulled out there own oil industry (Standard Oil) for a sound financial reason; not for some "national interest", white elephant, boondoggle, smoke and mirrors, nail the taxpayers again by getting them to bail out poor wayward Alberta again nonsense.

Alberta needs to go to rehab for oil substance abuse...

What will we do when the aliens finally arrive here only to find out that we burned all of "their" oil...
Terris
Board Meister

Postby nepal » Aug 17th, 2018, 1:29 am

Way to go there anti-pipeline protestors! You are going all out to take the quickest route to potential environmental catastrophe!
Oil rail-tanker shipments are up 52 %, and all travelling alongside the Thompson and Fraser Rivers and through Vancouver! When oil could have been flowing through a safe underground pipeline. You call yourselves Environmentalists!
I support the environment, thus I support pipelines, as the safest method to transport oil, oil which is moving to market, like it or not.
So protestors, get in your car and drive down the paved roads, to the rail yards in Vancouver, and have a look at what you've caused! You've only got yourselves to blame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 271 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room