Liberal gets 4 years for theft from taxpayers

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Liberal gets 4 years for theft from taxpayers

Postby Rwede » Jan 25th, 2017, 10:12 am

The sad part is that the Liberals still feel shafted because they got caught stealing. And nothing has changed under Trudeau, either.

4 years over scandal

The Canadian Press - Jan 25, 2017 / 8:46 am

An ex-Liberal organizer convicted of fraud related to the federal sponsorship scandal was given a four-year prison term Wednesday.

Jacques Corriveau, who was previously described as the ''central figure" in the scandal, will also have 10 years to pay a fine of $1.4 million.

A jury found Corriveau guilty of three charges in November: fraud against the government, forgery and laundering proceeds of crime.

Corriveau, 83, was handcuffed and placed in the prisoner's box after the sentence was read out.

His lawyer, Gerald Souliere, said he would seek his client's immediate release pending an appeal of the sentence. He is already appealing the conviction.

"Mr. Corriveau never thought he would end his days in prison, that he would go to prison," Souliere told reporters after the sentencing. "So, other than to say he's stunned, there's nothing else I can say."

Prosecutors had suggested Corriveau serve between three and five years behind bars, while the defence was seeking a sentence in the community, citing his age and the lengthy delay in his case getting to trial.

The crimes he was convicted of occurred between 1997 and 2003 and were related to what became known as the sponsorship scandal, which eventually helped bring down the Liberal government in 2006.

The Crown alleged Corriveau set up a kickback scheme on contracts awarded during the sponsorship program and used his Pluri Design Canada Inc. firm to defraud the federal government.

Corriveau, who worked on ex-prime minister Jean Chretien's Liberal leadership campaigns and was close to him, was accused of pocketing roughly $7 million in kickbacks.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/186 ... er-scandal
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5121 posts

Re: Liberal gets 4 years for theft from taxpayers

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 25th, 2017, 11:06 am

Good.

At least that kinda levels the score. Although I think Del Mastro is out on bail.

Always have to watch out for crooked politicians. The Del Mastro case being a very instructive one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Del_Mastro

"Del Mastro was a Conservative representative on the House of Commons Ethics Committee in 2007 and took part in the committee's work on the controversial business dealings between Karlheinz Schreiber and Brian Mulroney."

I often wonder if politicians don't put the most "bent" members on the ethics committee so that they can get away with anything.
Dimples - "just not ready"
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 9227 posts

Postby fluffy » Jan 25th, 2017, 11:10 am

What was that old line from the movies? "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Quebec has been rife with corruption through a number of different regimes. This is not the realm of the Liberal Party, it is the realm of Quebec politics. If you're even going to start trying to link this to the current federal regime best give up right now, you won't win.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4077 posts

Postby Rwede » Jan 25th, 2017, 11:25 am

fluffy wrote:What was that old line from the movies? "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Quebec has been rife with corruption through a number of different regimes. This is not the realm of the Liberal Party, it is the realm of Quebec politics. If you're even going to start trying to link this to the current federal regime best give up right now, you won't win.

Because getting a million dollar donation from the Chinese and then approving their bank and overturning the ban on the sale of ITF Technologies to Chinese has nothing to do with the current corruption of the Trudeau Liberals.

Right.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5121 posts

Postby I see what you did » Jan 26th, 2017, 5:54 pm

the world is a better place knowing that you are here, fighting the good fight, exposing the crooked liberals for all their crimes
I see what you did

Liked in: 64 posts

Postby speedybeedy » Apr 16th, 2017, 12:39 am

That's great news, now go and get all the rest of the crooked politicians that are stealing the tax payers money as well, there has been so many cases of this over the year, Shawn Harvey rings a bell, old Vernon mayor that got caught stealing money and simply was able to just disappear, how about that Alberta Premier that took her daughter and friend to Africa on a trip for the low low cost of 40,000.00 and wrote it off as a business expense, don't kid yourself, the majority of the people that are in charge of the tax payers money are taking full advantage of it, only difference is that if we needed to steal that kind of money we would have to steal it from a bank and once caught we would go to jail for 10 years, these politicians just get to walk away.
Government is about as crooked as they come.
speedybeedy

Liked in: 1 post

Postby flamingfingers » Apr 21st, 2017, 5:58 pm

Sounds like everyone is talking about the BC ChristyLIBERALS!!!
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6333 posts

Postby Urbane » Apr 21st, 2017, 6:32 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Sounds like everyone is talking about the BC ChristyLIBERALS!!!
There's that Christy Clark Derangement Syndrome showing again. :D
"Spectemur agendo"

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 11146 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Apr 21st, 2017, 6:55 pm

^^Look in the mirror for the Christy Clark Derangement Syndrome, Urb...
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6333 posts

Postby Urbane » Apr 21st, 2017, 7:18 pm

flamingfingers wrote:^^Look in the mirror for the Christy Clark Derangement Syndrome, Urb...
Au contraire! She and her party have many faults and I've pointed them out many times. But I'm not in the "I hate Christy Clark" club. You should try a more balanced view yourself sometime. Just a thought.
"Spectemur agendo"

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 11146 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Apr 21st, 2017, 11:47 pm

Urbane wrote:
    flamingfingers wrote:^^Look in the mirror for the Christy Clark Derangement Syndrome, Urb...
Au contraire! She and her party have many faults and I've pointed them out many times. But I'm not in the "I hate Christy Clark" club. You should try a more balanced view yourself sometime. Just a thought.

They'll be playing ice hockey in hell before that happens. [icon_lol2.gif]

Maybe one day they'll invent a vaccine for cyber stalker syndrome. :biggrin:
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5606 posts

Postby csm » Nov 28th, 2017, 10:08 am

Rwede wrote:The sad part is that the Liberals still feel shafted because they got caught stealing. And nothing has changed under Trudeau, either.

4 years over scandal

The Canadian Press - Jan 25, 2017 / 8:46 am

An ex-Liberal organizer convicted of fraud related to the federal sponsorship scandal was given a four-year prison term Wednesday.

Jacques Corriveau, who was previously described as the ''central figure" in the scandal, will also have 10 years to pay a fine of $1.4 million.

A jury found Corriveau guilty of three charges in November: fraud against the government, forgery and laundering proceeds of crime.

Corriveau, 83, was handcuffed and placed in the prisoner's box after the sentence was read out.

His lawyer, Gerald Souliere, said he would seek his client's immediate release pending an appeal of the sentence. He is already appealing the conviction.

"Mr. Corriveau never thought he would end his days in prison, that he would go to prison," Souliere told reporters after the sentencing. "So, other than to say he's stunned, there's nothing else I can say."

Prosecutors had suggested Corriveau serve between three and five years behind bars, while the defence was seeking a sentence in the community, citing his age and the lengthy delay in his case getting to trial.

The crimes he was convicted of occurred between 1997 and 2003 and were related to what became known as the sponsorship scandal, which eventually helped bring down the Liberal government in 2006.

The Crown alleged Corriveau set up a kickback scheme on contracts awarded during the sponsorship program and used his Pluri Design Canada Inc. firm to defraud the federal government.

Corriveau, who worked on ex-prime minister Jean Chretien's Liberal leadership campaigns and was close to him, was accused of pocketing roughly $7 million in kickbacks.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/186 ... er-scandal

He's just the one that got caught - betcha there are a hell of a lot more - why else do people go into politics? There is a river of money just for the taking all donated by you and me!!
Apathy = the Death of Freedom - be accountable or be a slave!
csm
Fledgling

Liked in: 215 posts

Return to Bickering Room