2017 Saving and Investment Thread

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: 2017 Saving and Investment Thread

Postby Ka-El » Dec 24th, 2018, 8:38 am

forum wrote: I'm saying you might not reach retirement age.

:135: Is that your retirement plan?
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6043 posts

Postby forum » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:38 am

Check out Home Capital Groups stock.

It doesn't even have a pulse!

Down for the count.

I hope you guys don't have big HELOCs and most of your wealth is wrapped up in Canadian Real Estate.

You won't be getting much out of it!
forum
Guru

Liked in: 1469 posts

Postby Jonrox » Dec 25th, 2018, 5:13 pm

forum wrote:I'm saying you might not reach retirement age.

Happens all the time.

And if you need to reach the investments housed in the RRSP early on to solve a problem (hair loss, boob job at ) you'll get beaten by the tax stick.
All that money is illiquid.
You trust the government way too much.

Your strategy is almost as illiquid as having all your money in a house.

Freedom First. Always. Cash is King.

Dude, you should really quit. Every single post you make about RRSPs further reinforces that you don’t understand them... this one included.

You’re such a newb. I hope you don’t talk to your friends or clients about investing because they’re laughing at you behind your back if you are.

Hassel99 likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2322 posts

Postby forum » Dec 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm

My kids also call me stupid when they don't do what they're told.

You're probably not buying the dips. Too "risky".
forum
Guru

Postby 2manyfords » Dec 26th, 2018, 10:03 am

forum wrote:My kids also call me stupid when they don't do what they're told.

You're probably not buying the dips. Too "risky".

Whoa....hold up here....

Your kids call you stupid? :200:

They obviously already know more about investing and RE [icon_lol2.gif]

3 people like this post.
2manyfords
Fledgling

Liked in: 199 posts

Postby Jonrox » Dec 26th, 2018, 1:44 pm

forum wrote:You're probably not buying the dips. Too "risky".

I never stop buying... week in and week out I keep investing. Every... single... week.

It also sounds like your kids are good judges of character.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2322 posts

Postby forum » Dec 26th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Jonrox wrote:I never stop buying... week in and week out I keep investing. Every... single... week.

Sounds strategic.
As if you have given the bank permission to auto withdrawal into an RRSP account.
Very Missionary of you.
forum
Guru

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 26th, 2018, 3:05 pm

forum wrote:
Jonrox wrote:I never stop buying... week in and week out I keep investing. Every... single... week.

Sounds strategic.
As if you have given the bank permission to auto withdrawal into an RRSP account.
Very Missionary of you.

AND, this would be wrong?

If you say it is wrong, then the rest of us can feel reassured that it is right.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4009 posts

Postby Ka-El » Dec 27th, 2018, 9:45 am

forum wrote:

Sounds strategic.

Most real plans are :smt045

Here poorum, let me help ...

28 smart things your richer friends do in January

fast forward to a couple highlights …

#20 - You won't find your richer friends pumping all their spare cash into high-risk investments such as Bitcoin this January. Money-savvy people aren't scared of speculating, but they'll only use cash they're not worried about losing for those more volatile investments (just so you know these folk don’t keep their long term growth investments in a savings account).

#21 - The smarter you are about money, the richer you're likely to be, so improving your investment and general financial knowledge is essential, whether that entails reading a financial newspaper every day or attending a training course (for example, you could learn how dollar-cost averaging and RRSPs work. )

#29 - Smoking, drinking and other bad habits aren't just ruinous for your health, they're a nightmare for your bank balance to boot. Quitting the cigarettes this month, having a dry January, and so on, will work wonders on your financial as well as your physical health. (just thinking of your scotch addiction here poorum; not good for you physically or financially)

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstori ... p#image=20
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Postby forum » Dec 28th, 2018, 11:42 am

Ka-El wrote:
Here poorum, let me help ...

28 smart things your richer friends do in January

fast forward to a couple highlights …

#20 - You won't find your richer friends pumping all their spare cash into high-risk investments such as Bitcoin this January. Money-savvy people aren't scared of speculating, but they'll only use cash they're not worried about losing for those more volatile investments (just so you know these folk don’t keep their long term growth investments in a savings account).

#21 - The smarter you are about money, the richer you're likely to be, so improving your investment and general financial knowledge is essential, whether that entails reading a financial newspaper every day or attending a training course (for example, you could learn how dollar-cost averaging and RRSPs work. )

#29 - Smoking, drinking and other bad habits aren't just ruinous for your health, they're a nightmare for your bank balance to boot. Quitting the cigarettes this month, having a dry January, and so on, will work wonders on your financial as well as your physical health. (just thinking of your scotch addiction here poorum; not good for you physically or financially)

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstori ... p#image=20

Thanks for the chuckle. That is simply a guide for house poor Canadians to live another lackluster Christmas.
Ka-El, you're probably the type of Canadian that brags about his "luxury" vacations camping.
As if camping is even considered a vacation.

Sorry, but I spent a mortgage payment on fine scotch and rums this holiday and it isn't even New Years yet.
I feel pretty good about my purchase. Actually got cheered on by a few other drinkers in the line up.
Got the nod from the BCL teller "Nice picks", as I swiped my black card.
The rich don't cut back on alcohol and booze unless their body can't handle it anymore.
You're narrow mindedness can't seem to comprehend that young people are rich too.

And I've spent nowhere near what my rich friends have treating themselves (and me) and their family this Christmas.
When you pull in over $500,000 a year, you don't spend your holiday reading financial papers and fussing over switching over your energy provider!

In you're article "How you we're tricked into living a boring life", I didn't see any smart ideas to retire in South America.

Here's how a few of us young bucks spent our Christmas this year. New Years is just around the corner!

Go ahead and fix yourself a Lambs and Egg Nog Ka-El. You deserve to treat yourself.

ckil likes this post.
forum
Guru

Postby 2manyfords » Dec 28th, 2018, 3:38 pm

^^^^

:spitcoffee: :laugh:

If I wasn't laughing so hard...i'd be looking for my hip waders.

The BS is getting pretty thick in here.

What else you got Forum? Keep 'em coming......

2 people like this post.
2manyfords
Fledgling

Liked in: 199 posts

Postby Ka-El » Dec 28th, 2018, 3:43 pm

forum wrote: Ka-El, you're probably the type of Canadian that brags about his "luxury" vacations camping. As if camping is even considered a vacation.

I haven’t been “camping” since I served in the Armed Forces (more than thirty years). I certainly wouldn’t consider camping a vacation, and I certainly wouldn’t want for you to have to resort to that as a retirement plan. Hey, there are some older folk here simply willing to pass along their experience in these matters, but just like when we were kids you young folk seem to think you already have it all figured out. You got to realize that when you demonstrate your lack of knowledge regarding real estate, RRSPs and other investment strategies – well, one can only remind you that pride goeth before the fall. Most of us got past this stage by the time we were in our mid to later twenties. I really do hope you figure it out before you get yourself too far behind the eight-ball.

Sorry, but I spent a mortgage payment on fine scotch and rums this holiday and it isn't even New Years yet.

Not too responsible. Rent day is around the corner.

When you pull in over $500,000 a year, you don't spend your holiday reading financial papers and fussing over switching over your energy provider!

When you pull in over $500,000 a year you already know what a RRSP is and how they work, and it would be extremely unlikely that you would still be renting. Good grief. Do you really think you’re selling anyone on this silliness? What are you trying to overcompensate for?
Last edited by Ka-El on Dec 30th, 2018, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby forum » Dec 29th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Ka-El wrote:I haven’t been “camping” since I served in the Armed Forces (more than thirty years). I certainly wouldn’t consider camping a vacation, and I certainly wouldn’t want for you to have to resort to that as a retirement plan. Hey, there are some older folk here simply willing to pass along their experience in these matters, but just like when we were kids you young folk seem to think you already have it all figured out.

You got to realize that when you demonstrate your lack of knowledge regarding real estate, RRSPs and other investment strategies – well, one can only remind you that pride goeth before the fall. Most of us got past this stage by the time we were in our mid to later twenties. I really do hope you figure it out before you get yourself too far behind the eight-ball.

Armed forces. Hooah. I'll call you up when me and the soldiers need some potatoes peeled for our bangers and mash.

Your claim that I don't know RRSP's reminds me of a drinking story...

My team and I had finished a fairly complex project a few years back. We decided to celebrate our success with a midnight cap. Sidenote : men only on this trip. It was fairly important that this project was completed surgically with no dramatic events. This project required a remarkable lack of empathy and emotion to guarantee it's successful outcome ( sorry ladies, we love you for other things). We brought a few young and inexperienced men on the trip just so the SJW's wouldn't get a b_oner and waste their mornings writing HR emails about an unequal workforce. They go straight to the trash anyways. ( I paid off the IT guy).

Wearing only my silk robe that evening, I dropped a bit of coke into a glass and then free poured my rum (like I always do).
The kid on the team overzealously shouted (for everyone to hear) "You poured it wrong! That's not how you pour a rum and coke!".

I stopped stirring. I tapped the silver spoon on the rim of the crystal. I precisely place the spoon on to the granite. I held the glass up to my nose and took a deep breath in, like one would a bouquet of freshly cut babies breath.

I turned to the kid with my steel blue eyes and replied "I pour it however I please, because I own it".

I handed him the glass to drink.
forum
Guru

Postby W105 » Dec 30th, 2018, 9:06 am

hahaha....so you brought a "silk robe" to wear after work on an out of town job Forum ?? talk about fancy..lol

if you did something like that with the crew that my spouse works with, you would be roasted quicker than a chestnut on an open fire :)

forum likes this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3802 posts

Postby Catsumi » Dec 30th, 2018, 9:24 am

Never mind, W105. I enjoy Forum's stories while I have my Sunday morning coffee. It is like reading a chapter from an offbeat version Arabian Nights.

Creative work: Suspend disbelief and enjoy the prose. :130:
J. Trudeau, the PM who brought corruption, scandal and spending to a laughing world stage

Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

forum likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4160 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room