If Elected, NDP will Ban the Grizzly Bear Hunt

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

If Elected, NDP will Ban the Grizzly Bear Hunt

Postby OldIslander » Mar 29th, 2017, 5:19 pm

How smart was it to announce this yesterday? Is it a good idea for politicians to meddle in the management plans of the Ministry of Environment's 'Fish and Wildlife' department? This will obviously cost them the votes of all families in the province who hunt, or who earn some or all of their yearly income from hunting or guiding or supplying hunting supplies. And that's any kind of hunting -- once the NDP ventures onto the slippery slope of mandating what can and cannot be hunted in this province -- based utterly on politics -- then who knows what's next?
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 451 posts

Re: If Elected, NDP will Ban the Grizzly Bear Hunt

Postby flamingfingers » Mar 29th, 2017, 5:41 pm

I would MUCH sooner see a complete and total ban on farmed salmon in BC waters!
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

3 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6331 posts

Postby OldIslander » Mar 29th, 2017, 6:08 pm

flamingfingers wrote:I would MUCH sooner see a complete and total ban on farmed salmon in BC waters!

No argument here...!
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."

2 people like this post.
OldIslander
Fledgling

Postby Veovis » Mar 29th, 2017, 6:18 pm

I think it is the standard NDP game. Popular without information sound bites and no real platform.

It might garner them some votes, but not many, and it does nothing to account for how they will actually govern. Just grand "ideas" but no actual product. It's the same route they have taken the last few elections so personally I think it is a failed strategy for small issues to be your hope of winning the big issue.

"I don't like people hunting" is a fine opinion but it doesn't mean you can manage a province.

OldIslander likes this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4125 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Mar 29th, 2017, 6:53 pm

I don't agree with banning grizzly bear hunting. But.....:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6331 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Mar 29th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Look into the money spent to hunt these trophy bears . Ppl come from all over the world. Let's leave a bit on the table for the guides and outfitters
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

lightspeed likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 2917 posts

Postby Veovis » Mar 29th, 2017, 7:24 pm

NDP have already been betting pretty good on the "anti bear hunt" groups to win the election. They moved the NDA breaker into a region they desire to win, they promise to ban it outright, even though that could be a very foolish thing to do.

The main topic will likely again be the economy and so far we have promises of $15 min wage (no signs of economic issues due to that), $10 a day daycare promised (which will have a 1-2 billion price tag for certain and no economic clue how to make it work), banning the bear hunt (with no idea of the repercussions)

It's a strategy of shooting yourself in the foot and working up to the head eventually and then bang....more Christy.

Personally I think many different hunts and culls have a need and purpose and to cancel because certain groups (who have no idea of the ramifications) don't think it's "cool", is a bad platform. I certainly don't like some of the changes the Liberals made to hunting as well, and I'm not even a hunter affected, but outright "LET'S JUST SAY NO!!!!" is so terrible.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4125 posts

Postby OldIslander » Mar 30th, 2017, 11:45 am

Political parties must do some kind of 'cost/benefit' analysis when they announce something like this. So the NDP must believe they'll get more votes based on this hunting issue, than the Liberal will, from BC hunters, families, suppliers, guides, etc. The hunting lobby was strong in '06 when the Conservatives beat the Liberals -- at least partially thanks to their promise to abolish the long gun registry. I think the NDP are making a big mistake by underestimating the number of folks they are alienating with this goofy election promise.

I'm a hunter, but have never hunted Grizzly; never will. And I don't have much respect for the Min. of Environment's Fish & Wildlife management planners, who I don't believe could organize a one-hole outhouse. There are several species of game in this province in trouble, thanks to their actions (or non-actions). But from what I've seen and heard, the Grizzly isn't really one of them. But it is a 'hot button' that political opportunists can press if they think it'll do them some good.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
OldIslander
Fledgling

Postby Bsuds » Mar 30th, 2017, 11:57 am

I don't believe in trophy hunting. If you want to shoot something then do it with a camera!
Everybody wins, even the Grizzly.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

5 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11086 posts

Postby What_the » Mar 30th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Me neither. Sustenance hunting no problem with but banning without consideration is stupid

Nature is perfectly balanced, problems arise when humans toss the scales.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Liked in: 629 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Mar 30th, 2017, 1:34 pm

My views are a bit biased . I support the guide outfitters of British Columbia. To hear them tell it . Tourism in British Columbia. Started with guided hunts. Sold to wealthy Americans. If you support whoring out our province to tourists . I think u gotta support guides and outfitters
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 2917 posts

Postby GrooveTunes » Mar 30th, 2017, 7:41 pm

and these sick $$%%ERS....so tough aren't they. Pathetic losers.

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GrooveTunes
Übergod

Liked in: 399 posts

Postby Queen K » Jul 29th, 2017, 11:05 am

OldIslander wrote:How smart was it to announce this yesterday? Is it a good idea for politicians to meddle in the management plans of the Ministry of Environment's 'Fish and Wildlife' department? This will obviously cost them the votes of all families in the province who hunt, or who earn some or all of their yearly income from hunting or guiding or supplying hunting supplies. And that's any kind of hunting -- once the NDP ventures onto the slippery slope of mandating what can and cannot be hunted in this province -- based utterly on politics -- then who knows what's next?

Okay, now that we have Premier Horgan in the legislature, let's see what happens to the Conservation Laws and in particular, the Grizzly bear portion of hunting.

I suspect they're looking into what they said and if it's manageable this year or next.
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.

OldIslander likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12981 posts

Postby What_the » Jul 29th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Meh, no one needs to hunt for sustenance anymore. Live off the grid? sure, that's sustenance hunting. Most just get off on pulling a trigger and killing something while taking their 4 wheel drive for a stint in the woods on weekends. I've been hunting, I've killed animals. Don't see much merit to it in this day and age. Especially with organic and free range meat.

But hey, bear and cougar isn't that tasty, not compared to bovine.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Liked in: 629 posts

Postby seewood » Jul 29th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Used to hunt.
Told my kids that if you pull a trigger on an animal it's going to eat you, or your are going to eat it....kept it simple and to date neither have taken up hunting but one does punch a lot of holes in paper...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1069 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room