The New Overdose Solution thread.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: The New Overdose Solution thread.

Postby the truth » Dec 4th, 2018, 8:01 am

sick junkies :swear:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6507 posts

Postby Loki2u » Dec 4th, 2018, 11:44 am

Let me see if I understand you here.......

So its your belief that a junkie was enjoying a family friendly board game and then decided that when he no longer played it, perhaps another family might get the same enjoyment out of it so he kindly donated it to a charity out of the goodness of his heart, but not before malicously tossing a needle in the box just for kicks? [icon_lol2.gif]

Gotcha :up:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Loki2u
Board Meister

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 5th, 2018, 5:12 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... s.facebook

<snip>...The charges stem from two undercover RCMP investigations, the first occurring on July 8, 2017.

An undercover officer approached Stephan Rauner in City Park that afternoon and asked if he could buy heroin.

Rauner, who was picking up garbage, sold the officer .2 grams of heroin for $40 and told him it was “good sh*t,” before the pair fist bumped and the officer walked away.

Lab tests showed the drug contained both heroin and carfentanil, an extremely potent opioid that's 100 times stronger than fentanyl and used commercially to sedate elephants.

Rauner wasn't arrested until Aug. 17, when he was charged with trafficking in a controlled substance, and then released on bail...."

What I want to know is: how many people died or are nearly dead from the carfentanil, between these two dates.

AND, why are these people being allowed to add up that many charges before anything is done to them, like life in prison because clearly they can not be rehabilitated back into normal work life.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

seewood likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13978 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 6th, 2018, 9:28 am

staff at cornerstone knew who he was but still let him stay there and prey on the weak shame on you john howard
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Queen K » Dec 13th, 2018, 1:41 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#244475

This is a significant bust. 60,000 kilos of meth is unbelievable. What's more is the immediate lack of charges.

If you jaywalk and an officer wants to ticket you, as happened to a native woman so many years ago, he does.

But if you have this amount of goods in YOUR storage locker, no immediate charges? :135:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby the truth » Dec 27th, 2018, 1:30 pm

no slowing down the od's keep on coming https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245492 looks like the
over educated people in charge have no clue how to stop this , book smart is not life smart people
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ka-El » Dec 27th, 2018, 1:41 pm

the truth wrote: , book smart is not life smart people

:spitcoffee: God I love your posts. They're the best :up:
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"

the truth likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5697 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 27th, 2018, 1:45 pm

your coming around...... :up: drop your books a little and go outside open your eyes and see the truth :biggrin: .. book smart is not life smart
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ka-El » Dec 27th, 2018, 2:36 pm

the truth wrote: drop your books a little and go outside open your eyes and see the truth

Oh if you only knew how stupid this comment makes you look. The books were completed years ago. The last two decades has been about testing the theories of cause and intervention by using actual scientific methodology "on the street".

the truth wrote: book smart is not life smart

Neither is outright and sustained ignorance. I know this is a big post. Please read slowly (definitions below).

Addiction is a highly complex issue involving interplay of physical, cognitive and social factors, and contrary to the simplistic notions of some here it does not only affect or impact the so-called “junkie” types and no two people have the exact same story. Every story is different, and of all the theories surrounding addiction the only theory that has been completely disproven is the so-called “moral theory” that postulates addiction is a choice and recovery from addiction is as simple as making a different choice. The most accepted theory (based on evidence from research) is the biopsychosocial model.

Those people without any book smarts and having strong opinions based on anecdotal evidence (their story or the story of someone they know) or the availability heuristic (definition provided below because I know you have never looked it up) have formed a picture of the issue based on an incredible lack of information, or preponderance of misinformation. It would seem people normally suggesting street smarts are better than book smarts typically have a hard time reading a book.

In addition to the book smarts possessed by those university-educated workers and researchers on the front line of this battle, they also have years of street smarts from working directly with this population. And instead of forming opinion on anecdotal evidence or extrapolating general conclusions from isolated incidents they rely on the evidence from quantitative research (what do the real numbers say) to guide intervention efforts while continuing to research the results of their efforts.

Looking only for isolated and/or extreme examples to support an already formed opinion is exactly what any critical thinker (or anyone interested in knowing or having an appreciation for the truth) would deliberately avoid. These people working in the field (and the researchers guiding them) have the advantage of having BOTH book smarts AND street smarts – the kind of street smarts gained by actually working with people and gathering research over many years while covering diverse populations. Addiction strikes the wealthy and the poor, the stupid and the smart, the young and the old. Anyone really interested in the truth (and retaining any credibility) should at least be willing to do some research on the subject.

The availability heuristic is a mental shortcut that relies on immediate examples that come to a given person's mind when evaluating a specific topic, concept, method or decision. The availability heuristic operates on the notion that if something can be recalled, it must be important, or at least more important than alternative solutions which are not as readily recalled. Subsequently, under the availability heuristic, people tend to heavily weigh their judgments toward more recent information, making new opinions biased toward that latest news.

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. When compared to other types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is generally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses, but may be considered within the scope of scientific method as some anecdotal evidence can be both empirical and verifiable, e.g. in the use of case studies in medicine. Other anecdotal evidence, however, does not qualify as scientific evidence, because its nature prevents it from being investigated by the scientific method.

p.s. anecdotal evidence can sometimes be considered qualitative research as it can identify an issue to be further tested by quantitative research to see if the numbers support the hypothesis (kinda like how we know that after more than 15,000 posts you really have no interest in doing the intellectual work required to gain a better understanding of what is true on any issue)
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby Loki2u » Dec 27th, 2018, 2:53 pm

That was perhaps the most articulate, polite roast I've read in a long time! [icon_lol2.gif]

Thanks for taking the time to type that up- it was very refreshing and 'The Truth'. :up: :biggrin:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

Ka-El likes this post.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 27th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Ka-El wrote:
the truth wrote: drop your books a little and go outside open your eyes and see the truth

Oh if you only knew how stupid this comment makes you look. The books were completed years ago. The last two decades has been about testing the theories of cause and intervention by using actual scientific methodology "on the street".

the truth wrote: book smart is not life smart

Neither is outright and sustained ignorance. I know this is a big post. Please read slowly (definitions below).

Addiction is a highly complex issue involving interplay of physical, cognitive and social factors, and contrary to the simplistic notions of some here it does not only affect or impact the so-called “junkie” types and no two people have the exact same story. Every story is different, and of all the theories surrounding addiction the only theory that has been completely disproven is the so-called “moral theory” that postulates addiction is a choice and recovery from addiction is as simple as making a different choice. The most accepted theory (based on evidence from research) is the biopsychosocial model.

Those people without any book smarts and having strong opinions based on anecdotal evidence (their story or the story of someone they know) or the availability heuristic (definition provided below because I know you have never looked it up) have formed a picture of the issue based on an incredible lack of information, or preponderance of misinformation. It would seem people normally suggesting street smarts are better than book smarts typically have a hard time reading a book.

In addition to the book smarts possessed by those university-educated workers and researchers on the front line of this battle, they also have years of street smarts from working directly with this population. And instead of forming opinion on anecdotal evidence or extrapolating general conclusions from isolated incidents they rely on the evidence from quantitative research (what do the real numbers say) to guide intervention efforts while continuing to research the results of their efforts.

Looking only for isolated and/or extreme examples to support an already formed opinion is exactly what any critical thinker (or anyone interested in knowing or having an appreciation for the truth) would deliberately avoid. These people working in the field (and the researchers guiding them) have the advantage of having BOTH book smarts AND street smarts – the kind of street smarts gained by actually working with people and gathering research over many years while covering diverse populations. Addiction strikes the wealthy and the poor, the stupid and the smart, the young and the old. Anyone really interested in the truth (and retaining any credibility) should at least be willing to do some research on the subject.

The availability heuristic is a mental shortcut that relies on immediate examples that come to a given person's mind when evaluating a specific topic, concept, method or decision. The availability heuristic operates on the notion that if something can be recalled, it must be important, or at least more important than alternative solutions which are not as readily recalled. Subsequently, under the availability heuristic, people tend to heavily weigh their judgments toward more recent information, making new opinions biased toward that latest news.

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. When compared to other types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is generally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses, but may be considered within the scope of scientific method as some anecdotal evidence can be both empirical and verifiable, e.g. in the use of case studies in medicine. Other anecdotal evidence, however, does not qualify as scientific evidence, because its nature prevents it from being investigated by the scientific method.

p.s. anecdotal evidence can sometimes be considered qualitative research as it can identify an issue to be further tested by quantitative research to see if the numbers support the hypothesis (kinda like how we know that after more than 15,000 posts you really have no interest in doing the intellectual work required to gain a better understanding of what is true on any issue)

like i said the people in charge are changing nothing https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245492
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ka-El » Dec 27th, 2018, 3:14 pm

the truth wrote: like i said the people in charge are changing nothing https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245492

Newsflash: A crisis more than five decades in the making by conservative forces not solved overnight. :200:

c'mon girl, do some reading (get your kids to help with the big words)

Ka-El
Guru

Postby Queen K » Dec 27th, 2018, 4:25 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245492

Four a day in BC alone. Seriously, it's getting worse.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Ka-El » Dec 27th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Queen K wrote: Four a day in BC alone. Seriously, it's getting worse.

It is, and I suspect it will get even worse before it gets better.

Ka-El
Guru

Postby the truth » Dec 27th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Ka-El wrote:
the truth wrote: like i said the people in charge are changing nothing https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245492

Newsflash: A crisis more than five decades in the making by conservative forces not solved overnight. :200:

c'mon girl, do some reading (get your kids to help with the big words)

just might have to sweet cheeks.......... [icon_lol2.gif]
the truth
Buddha of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room