Wilson threatens to sue Horgan & Blaney

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Wilson threatens to sue Horgan & Blaney

Postby LordEd » Aug 8th, 2017, 7:25 pm

lasnomadas wrote:I'll await your replies to these before continuing with the rest of the BC Liberal list of 'gross misconduct' and 'gross incompetence.

Great. You do that and the rest of us can address this specific case where they have opened themselves up to litigation before even opening the house.

I'm sure all those things have been discussed elsewhere.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

3 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2432 posts

Postby lasnomadas » Aug 8th, 2017, 7:35 pm

@mike: Then why are we constantly bombarded with, "Back in the '90s, the NDP blah, blah, blah......."?
Oh, and Gordon Wilson is an embarrassment, not only to himself, but to the entire BC Liberal party. I think he should just put a sock in it before he makes a complete fool of himself.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Liked in: 437 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Aug 8th, 2017, 7:37 pm

yea they been discussed with zero condimation from team bclibs . he apologized within days. bclibs still havent for few things . :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Aug 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm

What the predecessors did while in government does NOT excuse stupidity and malfeasance by the current government.

Ralston has instantly shown himself to be unsuited to be a cabinet minister.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10165 posts

Postby erinmore3775 » Aug 8th, 2017, 8:21 pm

"What the predecessors did while in government does NOT excuse stupidity and malfeasance by the current government."

That is a very true statement. It should be applied to the actions of the governments of the 90's, the early 2000's, and the past government. Yet it also shows that BC politics over those years has been run largely by the bias of ideology and not the judgement based on facts or what would be best for its citizens and the province overall. As a result, our elected officials mud sling, name call, and base their decisions on the pay for play donation. We got the government we elected. Unfortunately, each of those governments then and now lack[ed] integrity and educated judgement. It reminds me of the Vietnamese market saying, "Same, same, only different."
"Justice will not come until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured."
- Thucydides, Greek Philosopher

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

2 people like this post.
erinmore3775
Übergod

Liked in: 1715 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Aug 8th, 2017, 10:36 pm

I actually think that is a function of the party system. It doesn't matter what party we look at, the essential structures of the party systems are very hierarchical and many cases candidates, while supposedly elected by party members, are in fact selected. That tends to eliminate meritocracy.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10165 posts

Postby lasnomadas » Aug 9th, 2017, 8:57 am

In response to your previous comment that Ralston is unsuited to be a cabinet minister, you could be right, but I would argue that very few of the previous BC Liberal cabinet ministers were suited for their positions either.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Postby OldIslander » Aug 9th, 2017, 9:03 am

This threatened lawsuit would be fascinating with enormous entertainment value, in the highly unlikely event that it ever appears before a judge.

It would be great fun, learning how the position was a pure patronage gig. It was never posted; Wilson probably never had a skill set, making him the best candidate to be a LNG shill or lobbyist. They could also show Christie’s track record of hundreds of similar patronage appointments for so many other party stalwarts.

My favorite was Ben Stewart, who gave up his seat for her, when she parachuted into Kelowna in 2013. At the time, they both said this selfless act was made out of the pure goodness of his heart and he expected absolutely nothing in return. Surprise, surprise, when a few months later, he was awarded an unposted job in China. With his $150K per annum stipend plus expenses, it seems he received over $1M in three years. While doing the job, he spent much of his time in the Okanagan. And since he resigned the job 7 or 8 months ago, it was never refilled. Both Stewart and Clark are adamant, this was not a 'thank you' for his generous gift of one seat in the BC Legislature.

Wilson's gig was the same -- a big fat rich 'thank you' for favours rendered to Christie and/or the party. There were many, many more like it.

Wilson would be wise to take his hundreds of thousands of dollars and quietly disappear, before a lot of juicy details about his gig and many others, are aired publicly. The good folks of BC might learn a whole lot more about Wilson, than alluded to by Ralston and Horgan.
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."

2 people like this post.
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 451 posts

Postby LordEd » Aug 9th, 2017, 10:13 am

OldIslander wrote:It would be great fun, learning how the position was a pure patronage gig.
How he got the job has nothing to do with whether the statement "filed 0 reports and just collected a paycheck" has had a detrimental effect on his reputation.

First question: is the statement true?

The answer is "no" per the NDP

Next, has the statement caused injury to his reputation? Based on social media and here, significantly.

Is it a honest mistake? Making a statement like that seems pretty big to make when you don't have all the information.

Has the apology mitigated the damage?

Perhaps, but seems some are still crucifying as though he only wrote a single document.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Postby Urbane » Aug 9th, 2017, 10:33 am

Les Leyne:

So the first formal apology from the new regime came quickly. Premier John Horgan followed Jobs Minister Bruce Ralston on Tuesday and expressed regret and issued an apology to Wilson.

The reason it was so quick in coming was because the NDP managed to turn what could have been the routine dismissal of a member of the old Liberal guard into an slam-dunk defamation suit, should Wilson choose to pursue the matter. (Which he appears to be doing.) In later media interviews, Ralston in particular piled on the idea that the lack of reports was a reflection on Wilson’s work ethic.

But in his role of LNG-Buy B.C. advocate, he churned out yards of paperwork. One of the reasons this is known is because the NDP itself, when in Opposition, filed requests to see what he was doing, and got lots of documentation back. Among the documents was an “executive summary of research and findings for LNG-Buy B.C.” and dozens of weekly project updates, all authored by Wilson.

Somewhere in the transfer of power and naming of a new cabinet, someone apparently forgot to check the NDP’s own files when it came to the LNG-Buy B.C. advocate’s work. When the NDP got around to firing Wilson, Ralston went out of his way to alert reporters in very pointed terms about the move. He focused on the lack of reports.
Full column: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... 1.21724959
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12275 posts

Postby Smurf » Aug 9th, 2017, 10:50 am

Actually OldIslander I hope he sues and all that information comes out. It would be interesting. The part I do not like is that we will be paying for this mess if he does sue. Wasn't Hogan the NDP critic for The Ministry of Energy and Mines and probably should have known there were freedom of information requests and reams of documents given. It seems as those requests and the replies are where the information is coming from now. "If this is true" it just shows exactly how dumb this man is. I cannot believe he could be that stupid when he was probably the one who okayed those requests in the first place.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

OldIslander likes this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6203 posts

Postby OldIslander » Aug 9th, 2017, 10:52 am

LordEd wrote:How he got the job has nothing to do with whether the statement "filed 0 reports and just collected a paycheck" has had a detrimental effect on his reputation. First question: is the statement true?

Your argument implies -- possibly a bit optimistically -- that Wilson even has a reputation that might have been damaged.

In '91 he rose to fame as leader of the provincial Liberals, effectively ending the Social Credit party's reign, and becoming leader of the official opposition. Then the scandal broke of an affair -- he'd just promoted his mistress to 'House Leader'. A reporter asked his wife if she was aware of the affair; she said 'she was still doing his laundry...'. He was soon beaten and replaced as Lib leader by Gordon Campbell. After the next election, in a snit, he crossed the floor to the NDP, where he was rewarded with a cabinet portfolio. After losing his bid to lead the NDP; then his seat in the next election, he flipped back to the Libs, preaching the merits of Christy Clark. His reward was the patronage job as shill for the BC LNG industry.

He strikes me as man with no principles -- an opportunistic gadfly who will instantly discard one political philosophy for another, that will provide him with some instant power and/or money.

Again, what reputation?
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."

2 people like this post.
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 451 posts

Postby LordEd » Aug 9th, 2017, 11:01 am

That's a valid argument to mitigate damages. But can they prove it? That's the key.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Postby lasnomadas » Aug 9th, 2017, 11:44 am

^^ It's all a matter of public record.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Postby Veovis » Aug 9th, 2017, 12:11 pm

LordEd wrote:That's a valid argument to mitigate damages. But can they prove it? That's the key.

It is an option, however when you sit quite clearly on the losing side of a slander/defamation case, the best strategy may not be to attempt to defame them even more as your defence.....should that defence fail, the payment will massively increase.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4383 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room