Storage ripped apart

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Storage ripped apart

Postby the truth » Aug 13th, 2017, 8:30 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203986 says it all, is that not , the inn from the cold building
lets not always blame the homeless, its the homeless criminal junkies two different beasts --not sure what inn from the cold mission statement is but they sure seem to destroy every neighborhood they locate too
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4690 posts

Re: storage ripped apart

Postby Loki2u » Aug 13th, 2017, 8:54 am

Truth, you've been loud and clear on these threads and we get it- you have no respect for "homeless junkies".

I just don't understand how posting about every single incident is being helpful? It seems its just an outlet for you and your like-minded cohorts to vent your anger and hatred so that you can feel better about yourselves on your mountaintop looking down on everyone else.

Why not just start a single thread in the bickering room called "Truthy and Friends Homeless Junkie Bashing Thread." It would serve the same purpose, be in one place for you to add to it anytime you like, you can rack up the likes and thumbs up from your friends, and nobody would stop you.

This way people who would like to offer solutions can post about these issues in their own threads they create.

Just my thoughts.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

3 people like this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling

Liked in: 331 posts

Postby Whyme2 » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:02 am

Loki2u wrote:Truth, you've been loud and clear on these threads and we get it- you have no respect for "homeless junkies".

I just don't understand how posting about every single incident is being helpful? It seems its just an outlet for you and your like-minded cohorts to vent your anger and hatred so that you can feel better about yourselves on your mountaintop looking down on everyone else.

Why not just start a single thread in the bickering room called "Truthy and Friends Homeless Junkie Bashing Thread." It would serve the same purpose, be in one place for you to add to it anytime you like, you can rack up the likes and thumbs up from your friends, and nobody would stop you.

This way people who would like to offer solutions can post about these issues in their own threads they create.

Just my thoughts.

It's called freedom of speech. You don't like it don't read it!

Just my thoughts! :up:

the truth likes this post.
Whyme2
Board Meister

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:08 am

yup, :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Loki2u » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:09 am

Whyme2 wrote:

It's called freedom of speech. You don't like it don't read it!

People often confuse freedom of speech & freedom of the press. Basically a person is free to say what they want within the limits of the law; libel, slander incitement to violence and so on. That doesn't mean anyone has to listen to it, let alone publish it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

2 people like this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling

Postby whatwhat » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:11 am

Whyme2 wrote:It's called freedom of speech. You don't like it don't read it!

Did you not read Loki's post?? He didn't even mention taking away or trying to stop truth from posting about the subject, but maybe just placing it all in one thread.

Which to be honest, I agree with. We have so many homeless bashing threads, and if anyone who isn't a NIMBY tries to post anything we just get called enablers and bleeding hearts, with little to no attempt at a discussion from the NIMBY's.

These threads get posted, not to discuss the topic or solutions, but as an outlet for people to spew their displeasure with our homeless community.
hail Satan y'all

3 people like this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2004 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:13 am

Loki2u wrote:Truth, you've been loud and clear on these threads and we get it- you have no respect for "homeless junkies".

Just my thoughts.

so your incharge now :200: do you see me saying how about you and your like minded cohort friends go in the bickering room and start a how to enable junkies thread
i expected nothing less from your kind
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Postby jimmy4321 » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:20 am

I don't agree fully with thetruth and most others, but regardless of the subject it does add the perspective as to why somethings not getting full support one way or the other.
You can choose not to read it, but you might miss something.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1451 posts

Postby neilsimon » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:20 am

the truth wrote:...
so your incharge now :200: do you see me saying how about you and your like minded cohort friends go in the bickering room and start a how to enable junkies thread
i expected nothing less from your kind

I guess the biggest difference between you (ironic name by the way) and Loki2u is that he is trying to find solutions. You propose none, or just more of the same, which the one thing we can all agree on is that the current approach is not working.

2 people like this post.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:24 am

Hard to find a solution to help those that don't want help, they just want...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Bman likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2168 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:26 am

neilsimon---you call -enabling- a soulution :135: ok then

Bman likes this post.
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Loki2u » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:43 am

the truth wrote:neilsimon---you call -enabling- a soulution :135: ok then

There is a difference between showing compassion and enabling.

I enjoyed the article you posted and I agree with you it isn't right. That's not my point. All I was asking was what purpose does it serve coming on castanet just to complain and share your hatred? Repeatedly!

Like I said....I get it! You're angry. So am I. I hate reading about this stuff, but I try and do something about it. Whining here doesn't do any good except makes me feel superior i guess?

I can understand the odd thread, but my god.....how many of these homeless junkie bashing threads do we need around here? Seriously?
And a previous poster is right. I don't have to read them, but I'm not going to sit idly by either when people just spew ignorance and intolerance.

foodsmith likes this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling

Postby neilsimon » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:49 am

It depends what you consider enabling. I always viewed enabling as that behaviour which prevents the someone from dealing with the external consequences of their addiction (covering for them, cleaning up their mess, etc.). For instance, it is enabling to help a spouse hide their addiction from their employer through lying, etc. It is not enabling to make sure that your spouse uses a clean needle, uncontaminated drugs, doesn't die from overdose, etc. In fact, doing things to make sure that someone is in as good long-term physical condition, so that recovery is more likely to work and long term costs are minimised, is just harm-reduction, not enabling at all.
There is some potential for cross-over between the two. For instance, ensuring that someone uses clean drugs is easier and maybe only feasible if you provide those drugs, but unless you consider allowing someone to die as a good alternative to enabling, then it is the lesser of two evils.

foodsmith likes this post.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 13th, 2017, 9:58 am

Loki2u wrote:

There is a difference between showing compassion and enabling.

I enjoyed the article you posted and I agree with you it isn't right. That's not my point. All I was asking was what purpose does it serve coming on castanet just to complain and share your hatred? Repeatedly!

Like I said....I get it! You're angry. So am I. I hate reading about this stuff, but I try and do something about it. Whining here doesn't do any good except makes me feel superior i guess?

I can understand the odd thread, but my god.....how many of these homeless junkie bashing threads do we need around here? Seriously?
And a previous poster is right. I don't have to read them, but I'm not going to sit idly by either when people just spew ignorance and intolerance.

imo there is a huge difference between the homeless and the homeless criminal junkies , are you even willing to admit that there is a difference between the two ?
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Storage ripped apart

Postby The Green Barbarian » Aug 13th, 2017, 10:42 am

Back to the topic:

To add insult to injury, a neighbouring business owner walked up to his store and saw people shooting up on his doorstep that same morning.

“This area has taken a turn for the worse as far as illegal street activity is concerned,” said the thrift shop manager Julie.

Julie added that this type of mess has been going on for quite some time now.

“For months now, it seems every morning there is some sort of mess left behind from the prior evening’s ‘activities,’ and nothing much is being done about it.”

"We’ve tried calling the police, we’ve complained to the City, we’ve even hired private security and things are just getting worse and worse around here," she added.

Julie stresses that she cares for the homeless, but respect has to be top priority on both ends.

"We love the homeless, the unwanted, and the forgotten. Helping them is the reason we exist, but disrespecting us and our property like this just isn’t right. There needs to be a mutual respect here.”

A friend of mine works in downtown Kelowna in an area where the homeless congregate and a lot of mornings during the summer he says it looks like a cow pasture with all of the urine and fecal matter just left behind, along with syringes and vomit. The Kelowna Hazmat team has to come out and spray everything into the storm sewers every day. He's asked the Downtown Kelowna team about what can be done, and they say that more public restrooms should be made available to the homeless. I guess that's a good idea, if they would actually use them, and if they would actually respect them rather than just destroy them like they've been destroying that store in the news story above.

It seems like whenever these threads appear, a few people come on and say how cheesed they are about it, then the other side gets on and starts going on about compassion and how any mention of the issue in a bad light is "hatred", which I also disagree with as well, as just too easy. From what I've seen there are homeless people and then there are homeless people on drugs/booze. A lot of the homeless seem to have some serious mental problems, which makes them pretty unemployable. The ones on drugs are on their way to dying, as that life only has one way out. The ones that don't get on drugs, can they be saved? I don't know, just asking the question.

There's one person I see a lot when I am downtown, and have seen for years, and she's always talking to herself, though she seems harmless. She doesn't appear to be on drugs, but she also doesn't seem too sane either. Not sure what you do with someone like that, but they've been living now on the streets, for what seems like years. How do they survive? Who feeds them? Where do they sleep? She's never asked for money, but if she did, and I gave her some, am I helping her? Am I helping a homeless person who I know is on drugs by giving them money? I don't know, but these threads just seem to get bogged down in name calling rather than in actual construction discussion about the problem. It's not about a warm feeling in your tummy because you called someone you disagree with a "hater". We need to get past that.
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12243 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room