Storage ripped apart

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Storage ripped apart

Postby Opeeved » Aug 14th, 2017, 10:01 am

the truth wrote:interesting how so many never want to talk about the junkies victims,

Sure, ok. Had 4 bikes stolen, garage rooted through, truck ransacked 5 times when I lived in the downtown area few years ago. What's your point? I still don't agree with your pov. I think that makes me a victim.
Largely because of bad ideological social policy and crime. The 2 go hand in hand and I can see the connection between the 2.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8

2 people like this post.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 14th, 2017, 10:03 am

Opeeved, what was the "last straw" the last post you read that made you made enough to become a contributer and not a lurker anymore? :D

the truth wrote:interesting how so many never want to talk about the junkies victims,

In this case it was a thrift store and if you didn't notice I devoted a whole paragraph to what they GO through. Did you read it?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13988 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Exactly. This has become the norm in life, not just regarding junkies but about most crime. The victim is the after thought because everyone wants to talk about the poor poor criminals. Their mental issues, their troubled past, this, that and the other thing, all their "excuses" as to why they lead a life of crime. Victims matter, criminals don't.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!

the truth likes this post.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 14th, 2017, 1:19 pm

BigBearBruno wrote:

Exactly. This has become the norm in life, not just regarding junkies but about most crime. The victim is the after thought because everyone wants to talk about the poor poor criminals. Their mental issues, their troubled past, this, that and the other thing, all their "excuses" as to why they lead a life of crime. Victims matter, criminals don't.

In this case it's the shop and I outlined the Pro-Life shop pretty danged close, so no, it was not "forgotten."

But the Pro-Life shop that has been victimized yet again really has been broken into several times over and over. They've barred their windows. Put signs up, "no big bags/backpacks' cut off their washroom and raised their prices. The volunteers in there are cheerful and helpful, and I've seen them outfitting people with clothing and household goods to get people back on their feet again.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

lightspeed likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13988 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 1:38 pm

You're an exception and that's awesome, I was merely agreeing with Truth that society spends way too much time agonizing over the poor poor criminal and not enough time helping the victims of the terrible crimes committed against them.
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Postby the truth » Aug 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6531 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Opeeved wrote:Well, if you want to play the I'm right you're wrong game Have at it. Sure sure sure, you have all the answers. Ok, weren't you just posting earlier about how it always falls into 2 camps without discourse? Perpetuation of that I see, no middle ground.

Exactly, I said there's two groups. One who hates on the homeless without fail and those who are compassionate without fail. Meaning one sides hates on ALL homeless, even the good ones who are not destroying property, leaving needles around and using the streets and sidewalks as bathrooms, while the other side is compassionate to all. Including the ones who are doing all of the above just mentioned. Making excuses for them, blaming their "circumstances" on their behavior etc. And I stated my heart goes out to the good ones, the ones who despite being in a horrible situation still do their best to keep a semblance of class. They don't destroy property, they don't use the streets as a bathroom, they don't throw their needles around or better yet aren't even addicts. They're just homeless but do their part to try and be as good a person as they can. Those are the people who deserve compassion and help. Not the ones who are acting like being homeless is a license to act like an animal.

Now let's cue the responses that follow that will be more excuses for the criminals.
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Postby the truth » Aug 14th, 2017, 4:41 pm

dead bang on........... :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6531 posts

Postby neilsimon » Aug 14th, 2017, 5:04 pm

BigBearBruno wrote:...
Now let's cue the responses that follow that will be more excuses for the criminals.

Comments like that are rather unhelpful and serve only to shut down discussion and not create constructive solutions.

Just because someone offers a solution which may actually help those who are currently homeless, addicted to drugs and engaging in further criminal behaviour does not mean that they are making excuses for such behaviour. Solutions do not have to centre around punishment, especially when engaging in such hurts everyone (incarceration is bloody expensive, as is law enforcement and we all pay for it). There may well be solutions which while appearing to be soft of those addicted to drugs are actually more effective and efficient, remove more related gang crime, reduce medical costs for society and more efficiently use the taxes I pay. If there is a win-win solution, are we not being just sadistic in the pursuit of punishment when we refuse to even contemplate it?

2 people like this post.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby foodsmith » Aug 14th, 2017, 8:26 pm

BigBearBruno wrote:
richardclank wrote:
btw, the people who get called haters are the ones who paint all homeless people as violent criminals. You're intelligent enough to see there are homeless people......and then there are homeless criminals. That's a massive step forward from the typical post, especially the ones about wanting to kill all the homeless people in Kelowna.

And on the other side, the ones who get called bleeding hearts are the ones who look at the worst of the worst and defend them to the bitter end. A defense they do not deserve.

What if the drive to defend people from a place of universal compassion was based on the fact that the term "the worst of the worst" is so subjective and, as such, personally defined?

Does that understanding and critical analysis automatically make someone a "bleeding heart"?

Even moreso, does the judgement of one person based on their own life experience and subjective application thereof automatically make someone not worthy of said defense?

neilsimon likes this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 288 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 8:36 pm

neilsimon wrote:

Comments like that are rather unhelpful and serve only to shut down discussion and not create constructive solutions.

Just because someone offers a solution which may actually help those who are currently homeless, addicted to drugs and engaging in further criminal behaviour does not mean that they are making excuses for such behaviour. Solutions do not have to centre around punishment, especially when engaging in such hurts everyone (incarceration is bloody expensive, as is law enforcement and we all pay for it). There may well be solutions which while appearing to be soft of those addicted to drugs are actually more effective and efficient, remove more related gang crime, reduce medical costs for society and more efficiently use the taxes I pay. If there is a win-win solution, are we not being just sadistic in the pursuit of punishment when we refuse to even contemplate it?

It is not a "win win" for the victim. And again this is where the victim becomes the afterthought. How does the victim get any justice if the criminal is given help and compassion for their crimes? Where is the help, compassion, and justice for the victim?
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 8:43 pm

foodsmith wrote:What if the drive to defend people from a place of universal compassion was based on the fact that the term "the worst of the worst" is so subjective and, as such, personally defined?

Does that understanding and critical analysis automatically make someone a "bleeding heart"?

Even moreso, does the judgement of one person based on their own life experience and subjective application thereof automatically make someone not worthy of said defense?

There are simply some people who do not deserve compassion. People who themselves have no compassion for the world they live in and the people around them do not deserve to be given compassion. It is the same as the respect thing. Respect is earned and so is compassion. People who do not have compassion for others and commit crime after crime, heinous act after heinous act do not deserve compassion. They deserve justice.
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Postby foodsmith » Aug 14th, 2017, 8:46 pm

What about when the "junkies'" victims are the "junkies"? (Again, to use your terminology...)

I mean, after all, a rose by any other name...
foodsmith
Board Meister

Postby neilsimon » Aug 14th, 2017, 8:48 pm

It is not a "win win" for the victim. And again this is where the victim becomes the afterthought. How does the victim get any justice if the criminal is given help and compassion for their crimes? Where is the help, compassion, and justice for the victim?

Actually, if they are a tax payer, it is, though the win for them is small compared with the harm. We should certainly provide them with whatever support will benefit them in recovering, but the best we can really do is reduce the number of future victims.

But, what do you suggest we do for the victim and equally importantly, future victims?
Last edited by neilsimon on Aug 14th, 2017, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby foodsmith » Aug 14th, 2017, 8:51 pm

BigBearBruno wrote:
foodsmith wrote:What if the drive to defend people from a place of universal compassion was based on the fact that the term "the worst of the worst" is so subjective and, as such, personally defined?

There are simply some people who do not deserve compassion. People who themselves have no compassion for the world they live in and the people around them do not deserve to be given compassion. It is the same as the respect thing. Respect is earned and so is compassion. People who do not have compassion for others and commit crime after crime, heinous act after heinous act do not deserve compassion. They deserve justice.

Who are we to judge who possesses what virtue and when? Seriously...

I mean, hey man, even the Dalai Lama is a criminal in China.

My point: Plenty of compassionate criminals in the world; it all depends on your perspective... And we are all free to position ourselves as we see fit, my friend.

Looks like you, in particular, may have dug in quite deep positionally. :biggrin:
foodsmith
Board Meister

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room