Storage ripped apart

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Storage ripped apart

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Aug 14th, 2017, 10:27 pm

BigBearBruno wrote:[

It is not a "win win" for the victim. And again this is where the victim becomes the afterthought. How does the victim get any justice if the criminal is given help and compassion for their crimes?

Is this a serious question? The criminal receives help and in theory becomes a better person and contributes more to society. That should be justice enough for the victim unless we're talking about a murder or something but I'm pretty sure we're just talking about petty crime.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 10:39 pm

:heart: :cry:

My heart can't take any more of this. It's ... it's bleeding...

*violin* :admin:
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!

the truth likes this post.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby neilsimon » Aug 14th, 2017, 10:45 pm

BigBearBruno wrote::heart: :cry:

So, no solutions from you either. Good to know.

foodsmith likes this post.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 14th, 2017, 10:45 pm

neilsimon wrote:
BigBearBruno wrote::heart: :cry:

So, no solutions from you either. Good to know.

:up:
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Re: QK

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Aug 15th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Queen K wrote:When truthy posted the "storage ripped apart" first post, I almost fell off my chair. We have so many of these threads and this one could easily have fit in any of them.

One night truthy and I went at it hand on throat over the homeless/drug - he kicks them when their up and kicks them when they're down. We haven't discussed it since. Brutal.

But the Pro-Life shop that has been victimized yet again really has been broken into several times over and over. They've barred their windows. Put signs up, "no big bags/backpacks' cut off their washroom and raised their prices. The volunteers in there are cheerful and helpful, and I've seen them outfitting people with clothing and household goods to get people back on their feet again.

I have my own story which I've been mulling over so listen up.

Mr. QK and I go to Rotary Marsh a lot. On Okanagan Car Rally day, we got to the marsh early. I spotted a black bag with a stick on it at the street corner. Parked, got out, and as doing so a woman, obviously a street person walked past but didn't indicate in any way shape or form that the bag was hers, just walked past it and kept going. I didn't connect her to the bag but I made a bee-line for it. I am more than aware of items being of particular interest to the police. Sure enough, I went to the bag and looked inside, NEEDLES. Yup, left out for people and kids and animals to get into. I put the damned bag in the car. Then I checked the tall grasses for anyone passed out. No one.

We made it about fifty steps toward the Marsh gates. "HEYYYYYYY did you see my bag?"

The street woman. She's back. Suddenly it's her bag. "did you take my bag?

What followed was a back and forth over "you left a bag with needles lying around" to her saying "I was raised not to touch what isn't mine."

Ya, she was shaming me. I should be so freaking ashamed of myself for getting needles off the street. I am shamed and admonished!

WHAT THE HEL L?

I told her I was taking them (the needles) to the RCMP.
What followed was a sudden reckoning of "I''m a diabetic" and "ya, I shoot up."
To me and her yelling at each other that she could die.
"Give me my bag back."
"you left it there, I had no indication it was yours. YOu didn't say anything."

Did I want to give it back? No. And yet, what's in it could be her whole life. Or death. I was really torn.

What do you guys think I did? What?

I told her to stay with Mr. QK and got her her bag back.
Again, I was all torn up. She goes back to shaming me. I start telling her again "how did you even start? What happened? Why? "My mom shot up." "At your age you're still blaming your parents? I should be you but I made different decisions, choices." "People are dying out there... fentyanl is killing people..." She looks away, I'm walking backwards to still see her...it was a scene. (Special note to Richardclank - I'm not privileged.)

While I was walking away. I had my camera gear, car/house keys . She had her bag and returnable cans. And a possible death sentence. I still see her eyes.

(All true descriptions of her have been scrubbed to protect her privacy).

You stole someone's bag and were upset when the person wanted her property back? Pretty shameful behaviour on your part. I guess it's acceptable to steal from people in the lower rungs of society.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby neilsimon » Aug 15th, 2017, 1:44 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:...
You stole someone's bag and were upset when the person wanted her property back? Pretty shameful behaviour on your part. I guess it's acceptable to steal from people in the lower rungs of society.

I think you are oversimplifying the situation just a bit. Queen K was taking what appeared to be the best course of action. There was no malice intended and it was resolved in a reasonable fashion.

Queen K likes this post.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby Because_They_Lie » Aug 15th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Crime is the result of an ineffective & insufficient system.

The system is the creator of crime.

The victims are those forced into criminal behavior in addition to the recipient of the criminal behavior resulting from an ineffective & insufficient system.

Putting the onus on the real perpetrator would begin the long over-due process of change our society and communities so desperately require.

The system which is currently in operation keeps discussions like these in perpetuity...to weaken the whole. Divide and rule.

The system is the mother of crime.
Because_They_Lie
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 200 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 15th, 2017, 8:26 pm

neilsimon wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote:...

I think you are oversimplifying the situation just a bit. Queen K was taking what appeared to be the best course of action. There was no malice intended and it was resolved in a reasonable fashion.

The bag had every appearance of being abandoned on a street corner. No one was near it when we pulled up. The woman walking past it didn't even go to it, she sauntered PAST it without a glance, and I am uber-aware that my neighbours four year old got needle stuck way back when. Also, with so much stolen property going on in this town, I actually was taking to the RCMP, needles and all. I think what Horganismyhero missed is that there was no way to know to whom the bag belonged.

What I didn't say in my original story was how I remarked to Mr. QK that if we hadn't stopped to look for an oded person in the tall grasses, and kept walking to our real destination, she would not have seen us at all. We would not have seen her come back at all.

Horganismyhero, I am NOT going to leave a bag with needles unattended. There is the difference between her behavior and mine. Did I "steal her bag"? Did you not get the part where I gave it back?

Please think before you answer that one, okay?
I'm over 50, I'm full of rage lately, I have two axes and I have a huge tree stump that needs to come out. Any questions?

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12402 posts

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Queen K was trying to remove a bag of needles left in a bag by a filthy drug addict who had not a care in the world about who could stumble onto it. Kids are very curious and would think nothing of diving their hand into a backpack. Queen K did right, if people can't see that then they aren't functioning properly.
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Postby Queen K » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:28 pm

I object to your description of her. I looked straight into her eyes and found no such "filthy" anything.
Last edited by Queen K on Aug 15th, 2017, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm over 50, I'm full of rage lately, I have two axes and I have a huge tree stump that needs to come out. Any questions?

5 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby BigBearBruno » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:31 pm

:up:
Just called me Triple B.
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Postby Loki2u » Aug 15th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Queen K wrote:I object to your description of her. I looked straight into her eyes and found no such "filthy" anything.

Excellent reply Queen K.

This is what I try to stress in these topics. Addicts and homeless are people too. They are sick, but are people just the same. A little compassion and understanding goes a long way.

I'm living proof that my past doesn't need to define my future-but it can refine it! I know I sure as hell couldn't do it by myself without some help, and have met some very compassionate and understanding people along the way that helped me become the person I am today.

:130:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

2 people like this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling

Liked in: 344 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 16th, 2017, 7:29 am

not everyone wants to be saved
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5550 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 16th, 2017, 7:58 am

HorganIsMyHero wrote:

Wow. Did you even read what QK wrote and the sequence of events. It is exceptionally easy to understand that she did no such thing and was torn in this situation between protecting the public from a bag with needles that appeared abandoned and feeling bad for the lady who then inexplicably claimed it.

Just because Horgan is your hero, as per your name, it doesn't mean you have to react the same temperamentally to everything as he does. :135:

How high is that horse? :D

Queen K likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3027 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 16th, 2017, 10:38 am

the truth wrote:not everyone wants to be saved

Well go on down there and sort them out, k?

Wants to be Saved to the right of you, Doesn't want to be Saved to the left.

Those who do not want to be in a humiliating position of having no place to use a proper washroom, have no address to give for a job application, have no access to the 'net, and no place to store, clean and get changed in to work clothes need affordable housing and isn't this what it all comes down to? :135:

4 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room