NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite

Postby LordEd » Sep 14th, 2017, 1:08 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:Unsubstantiated.

At least you acknowledge that rather than pass it off as verified fact.

foodsmith likes this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2097 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Sep 14th, 2017, 1:10 pm

LordEd wrote:At least you acknowledge that rather than pass it off as verified fact.

One thing I know, we won't be reading about this in the Tyee.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15671 posts

Postby Terris » Sep 14th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Yes there has been a lot of expensive widening done north along Westside Rd.

I have had a property there for years.

Is it enough? Go ahead and debate.

Either way, NDP or Liberal or Socred or whatever, it's an expensive road to fix.

I personally, like the corkscrew section especially when passing an already terrified Westside Rd. newbie.

It reminds me of a more pastoral time amid all the "developments" being incurred upon the region.
Last edited by Terris on Sep 18th, 2017, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
Terris
Board Meister

Liked in: 240 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 14th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Where's your proof that the NDP is stopping construction on the Westside Road improvements? I just drove from Hwy 97 in West Kelowna to the Spallumcheen Golf Course on Sunday, and I couldn't believe the lame excuse for hwy improvements that had been done since Christy Clark announced her Westside Rd. improvement plan prior to the 2013 election.

Aside from a few pull-outs for slower traffic and a bit of road widening, there was no evidence of improvement since I drove that route a year ago. The road still resembles a corkscrew. If there was any straightening done, it wasn't noticeable. If the NDP has indeed halted construction, I don't blame them. The BCtaxpayers should not be footing the bill for such shoddy work. I'm looking forward to some news about a competent road construction company being hired to do the work that the BC Liberal contractors didn't do.

Don't you worry Las the NDP didn't spend a nickel on that road during their ten years, so no reason to expect anything different from them now.

I can't help but feel it's a tad hypocritical (yet again, seems to be an endless supply) to gripe about what the Liberals have had done on Westside Road, when your party did absolutely bupkiss. You words suggest you expect better, yet you know darn well the NDP did nada last time, and can be counted on to behave the same way this go round. They have zero motivation to cater to the Okanagan as they know it will never put an NDP MLA in place.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5535 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Sep 14th, 2017, 2:47 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:
Don't fault me if I don't take your word, but The Green Barbarian saying that according to some people ze spoke to, that the NDP are cancelling road work out of spite doesn't exactly sound solid.

Why not? And what does "ze" mean? Is this a typo?

Because people say a lot of things, particularly about things they don't like. For example you often say unverifiable things about the NDP or federal liberals. Now to hear an unsubstantiated claim come from someone with such a clear bias in the issue, and the only reference they have is "people they spoke to" (and knowing about echo chambers, and the fact that people tend to interact with those already in their circles and with their ideologies). It doesn't exactly lean towards credibility.

People tend to believe things that already conform to their biases, such as that a political party they hate is doing something bad. Meanwhile, you are likely to ignore things that fly to the contrary of your beliefs. See for example your profile picture, along with your excuse of "fake news" any time there is some abuse of power by that figure.

Absent any verifiable information here, and without a bias that says the NDP are doing only good or evil, I am inclined to believe that what you are peddling here is fake news. Unverifiable information to manufacture outrage.

And I said Ze because I'm making no assumptions.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Cactusflower likes this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3153 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Sep 14th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Omnitheo wrote:
Because people say a lot of things, particularly about things they don't like.

Yup. And they also say things about the BC Liberals and graft, which for some reason you have no issue with, and I find that disgustingly hypocritical. If you want to argue from some moral highground here, then at least attempt to demonstrate that you deserve it.

For example you often say unverifiable things about the NDP or federal liberals.

No, actually I don't. This is complete and utter crap and a total lie (why am I not surprised given the source). The only reason that I posted this rumor I heard, and have now clarified that it is unsubstantiated, is that I would like someone out there to verify if this is true or not. Ask the question. If it's not true, and the NDP doesn't want to screw over West Kelowna, then I can tell the source of the rumour that what they are saying isn't true. But they seem pretty adamant about it so it will be interesting to see, as work is supposed to be stopping pretty soon.

Now to hear an unsubstantiated claim come from someone with such a clear bias in the issue, and the only reference they have is "people they spoke to" It doesn't exactly lean towards credibility.

So then let's find out if it's true. I didn't say it was credible. I just want to know if its true. And if it is true, man are you NDP cheerleaders going to look like idiots. But what else is new.

People tend to believe things that already conform to their biases, such as that a political party they hate is doing something bad.

Yes, I saw that with the losers who hated Harper so much. Total boneheads who would believe anything. What a joke.

And I said Ze because I'm making no assumptions.

Assumptions about what? What is "Ze"???
- Dr. Don Boys

Catsumi likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Fancy » Sep 14th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Cactusflower wrote:What exactly do you mean by that? I repeat........there has been no noticeable improvements aside from a few pullouts for slower traffic and a small amount of road widening. I suppose that the people who voted for the representative that no longer exists in that riding were happy with the incompetent construction work that was done on Westside Rd. over the past 4 years. Some of us aren't, and if you have occasion to drive from Hwy 97 south of Kelowna to Hwy 97 north of Vernon, you won't be happy with it either.

I'm a frequent driver of Westside Road and am very happy with the improvements over the years as are many others. What improvements are you having issue with that has been shown on the government site? Numerous threads on this road:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71523
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

3 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 5879 posts

Re: NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite?

Postby frazdog » Sep 14th, 2017, 4:13 pm

GB, the issue is not that you have a question about the NDP's future plans for Westside road but rather the heading of the forum - why not just ask the question instead of infering that if they do it, it will be out of spite. I am a resident of West Kelowna and know the benefits of having Christy Clark as our MLA. But, remember that money does not grow off trees and I know that money spent in my area ultimately meant that some other project was not undertaken. If the NDP chooses not to proceed with the upgrades, could it be that they are redirecting to something they deem to be a higher priority such as funding to fight the opiod crisis - though you and I may disagree with their priorities we can't say they chose not to do something out of spite, it may be that they just don't have it in their budget.

2 people like this post.
frazdog
Fledgling

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 14th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Cactusflower wrote:What exactly do you mean by that? I repeat........there has been no noticeable improvements aside from a few pullouts for slower traffic and a small amount of road widening. I suppose that the people who voted for the representative that no longer exists in that riding were happy with the incompetent construction work that was done on Westside Rd. over the past 4 years. Some of us aren't, and if you have occasion to drive from Hwy 97 south of Kelowna to Hwy 97 north of Vernon, you won't be happy with it either.

Fancy wrote:I'm a frequent driver of Westside Road and am very happy with the improvements over the years as are many others. What improvements are you having issue with that has been shown on the government site? Numerous threads on this road:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71523

There's room for improvement yet (as is the case with many roads), but it's sure a lot better than what it was in the 90's and I drove it back then too.

You know it's rooted in partisan rhetoric, when you have a chronic Liberal basher trivialize the fact that some pull outs have been put in place. For the locals who use that road a lot, those pullouts are a blessing, and a lot safer than trying to pass on a narrow road with drop offs and few straight stretches, which was the only previous option.

I'm sure many would be happy to see the road four laned and straight all the way to Vernon, so maybe rather than gripe here, a certain person should apply that squeaky wheel method and get the NDP to pony up for such a "proper" solution to the problem.

Not holding my breath though.

The NDP would rather stick to their playbook which means do nothing, then twenty years down the road they can point fingers at the Liberals again and complain about how not enough was done to improve Westside Road over the past 16 years. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

3 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5535 posts

Postby Walking Wounded » Sep 14th, 2017, 4:37 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote: What is "Ze"???

Instead of he/she it's supposedly the politically correct way to address the gender neutral.
Walking Wounded
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1560 posts

Postby dkazzed » Sep 14th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Honestly the most dangerous part of Westside road is the other drivers. I've taken the road a few times and it's a fun and lovely drive. Until people start tailgating you. Or speeding to pass you around a corner over solid yellow lines...

If it's a single solid yellow line, it's actually legal to pass when safe to do so. A double solid yellow line means no passing because the designer deemed it unsafe to pass in that area while a single solid puts the onus on the driver to determine if it's safe.

Weird I know because it's illegal to cross a single solid white line.

2 people like this post.
dkazzed

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Hmmm......I see that someone subscribes to the old adage that if you don't hear a rumour by noon, start one. Then there is the outrage shown by the usual suspects when the party of their choice is criticized for ________ (fill in the blank). Back in the 1990s, there was no need to do a lot of improvements on Westside Rd. because there wasn't a heck of a lot of development going on along that road. It's only been the past decade or so that development has escalated to the point where that road needs some serious improvement.

Hey, here's an idea that will get the Kelowna voters and Castanet readers typing furiously on their keyboards: Rather than build another bridge (where the Bennett bridge should have been built in the first place), why not turn Westside Rd. into a four-lane highway that by-passes Kelowna altogether? :biggrin:

flamingfingers likes this post.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 739 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:22 pm

I too wondered how did a rumour get to three pages long.

Westside Road into a four lane highway, by passing Vernon, Lake Country and Kelowna? Hmmmm, fewer stops, no traffic lights.
That's a lot of dynamite being used to blast out some rock walls, but I can see it.

A great many small business and mid sized business owners would lose a lot of impulse business however, I wonder how much political will there would really be to "get 'er done."

And my comment earlier was not an attack against you, but I do disagree that the improvements aren't significant.
I'm over 50, I'm full of rage lately, I have two axes and I have a huge tree stump that needs to come out. Any questions?

Cactusflower likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12415 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:25 pm

What's the average traffic count per day (to and fro) on Westside Road??
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6209 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Back in the 1990s, there was no need to do a lot of improvements on Westside Rd. :

oh man, now I have heard it all. Just wow.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room