NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite?

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I don't know, ff, but I think it would increase 100-fold if it were to be turned into a 4-lane highway. Coming from anywhere north, west, and east of Vernon, the only 'town' that is bypassed by Hwy 97 is Oyama. Vernon and Kelowna are nightmarish bottlenecks that I avoid each time I travel to and from Salmon Arm, Kamloops or destinations beyond.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 616 posts

Re: NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite

Postby The Green Barbarian » Sep 14th, 2017, 6:07 pm

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 15th, 2017, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 14792 posts

Postby christopher » Sep 14th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Hmmm......I see that someone subscribes to the old adage that if you don't hear a rumour by noon, start one. Then there is the outrage shown by the usual suspects when the party of their choice is criticized for ________ (fill in the blank). Back in the 1990s, there was no need to do a lot of improvements on Westside Rd. because there wasn't a heck of a lot of development going on along that road. It's only been the past decade or so that development has escalated to the point where that road needs some serious improvement.

Hey, here's an idea that will get the Kelowna voters and Castanet readers typing furiously on their keyboards: Rather than build another bridge (where the Bennett bridge should have been built in the first place), why not turn Westside Rd. into a four-lane highway that by-passes Kelowna altogether? :biggrin:

I agree with this idea at least price it out and compare it to a new bridge. How bout going around East of the airport and hooking up with chute lake road and bypass Kelowna and West Kelowna. As far as West side road I use it 2 times a year and see work progressing to have more than one contractor working on the road would likely require a complete road closure. As far as roads in BC that I really think are in need 4 laning the Trans Canada highway should be the first

2 people like this post.
christopher
Fledgling

Liked in: 198 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Hey, here's an idea that will get the Kelowna voters and Castanet readers typing furiously on their keyboards: Rather than build another bridge (where the Bennett bridge should have been built in the first place), why not turn Westside Rd. into a four-lane highway that by-passes Kelowna altogether? :biggrin:

Gee I wish I'd have come up with that idea at some point in time........................ oh wait a minute ................... I did about five years ago in one of the many threads bashing Westside Road.

I've said many times in fact that rather than a second bridge, a decent highway in place of Westside Road would in fact be a true bypass as it would take commercial transports off the highway between Kelowna and Vernon unless they are heading to Winfield or Oyama, not to mention they could bypass Vernon as well, or easily drop down into it if necessary.

The problem with things like that is they require significant foresight and planning, not waiting until after you need it, and then having to pay a premium for all the necessary land acquisitions because everything is developed already.

As evidenced by various threads, that the NDP loving anti everything crowd frequents, planning for the future is not something they embrace nor understand.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

2 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5172 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 14th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Agreed re: the need for a Kelowna bypass, preferably on the east side, though.

Also agreed re: the need to four-lane the Trans Canada first. Here's the government page with links to completed and current:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/trans ... ps-alberta

Let's hope the current government stays committed to both this and Westside Road. Better yet if they fast track.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5281 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 14th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Of course the Trans Canada should take priority over all other highways. It's a no-brainer that has been an election campaign promise for years. And I hadn't thought about the eastern by-pass, a good idea as well, but also very expensive. (I punched a hole in my transmission pan on Chute Lake Road the other day, thanks to a grader throwing large rocks around, but that's a story for another day.)

I'm surprised at some of the replies I'm getting regarding the Westside Rd. by-pass. I thought it was an original idea!
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby mikest2 » Sep 14th, 2017, 8:51 pm

I vaguely remember something from way back for a route that went (I think) from around sunset main and the connector to Armstrong. Can't remember if it may have been an actual plan or just a letter to the editor though.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 934 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Sep 14th, 2017, 9:02 pm

So almost entirely all of the bridge traffic is West Kelowna-Kelowna. It is very small amounts which are through traffic (4% see page 34). Turning westside road into a major highway would benefit few people. It's already faster in WestK to drive the coq to Kamloops than to go through kelowna.

Here's some of my favourite reading material
https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads/si ... 7-rweb.pdf
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2864 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 14th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Re: the TCH, wasn't there some talk a few years ago about bypassing Salmon Arm, Sicamous and Malakwa by having the highway re-routed to go from Chase and up around Seymour Arm, then follow a river valley to somewhere around Revelstoke?

Off topic, I know, but interesting nonetheless.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 14th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Omnitheo wrote:So almost entirely all of the bridge traffic is West Kelowna-Kelowna. It is very small amounts which are through traffic (4% see page 34). Turning westside road into a major highway would benefit few people. It's already faster in WestK to drive the coq to Kamloops than to go through kelowna.

Here's some of my favourite reading material
https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads/si ... 7-rweb.pdf

Good point but just to be clear my suggestion to use Westside Road as a bypass is in the context of entertaining spending money on a second bridge which to me is an utter waste of money.

The second bridge would simply have all the traffic meeting up again somewhere around Sexsmith so what exactly would be gained for spending that much money?

To me it just makes more sense to direct those funds toward major improvements to Westside Road that would make it a safe bypass route for those who want to use it, and since the road needs it anyway, it just seems like a win win.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Cactusflower likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5172 posts

Postby frazdog » Sep 15th, 2017, 7:27 am

This is funny - 4 pages of opinions on a forum topic that is totally unsubstantiated. "Fake news" as Trump would say. Now you can see why Trump gets so frustrated with the mainstream liberal media that takes an unsubstantiated article and makes it appear as fact.
frazdog
Fledgling

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby LordEd » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:58 am

The difference here is it was admitted as unsubstantiated by the poster by page 2. I'd be surprised if you could find the same type of admission anywhere in the usual "bclibs kill kittens" threads.

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1989 posts

Re: NDP stops Westside road construction out of spite

Postby Raven1 » Sep 18th, 2017, 4:52 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:Of course you don't. And when people start dying on this road again, you still won't. But thankfully, there will be enough people who will, and will throw this crooked unelected bunch of NDP bums out on their ears.

Anyone dying while driving westside road is driving beyond their capabilities. Pedestrians need to use some common sense when going for a stroll along the roadway as well.
Not all roads need to be built to go a kazillion miles an hour on. You want to go fast pick another route.
Can we please leave a passage that isn't over developed to the point of zero nature.

lightspeed likes this post.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 257 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 18th, 2017, 5:33 pm

frazdog wrote:This is funny - 4 pages of opinions on a forum topic that is totally unsubstantiated. "Fake news" as Trump would say. Now you can see why Trump gets so frustrated with the mainstream liberal media that takes an unsubstantiated article and makes it appear as fact.

I'm surprised the Castanet reporters haven't picked up on this thread and gone investigating GB's allegations. :up:
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11940 posts

Postby gordon_as » Oct 2nd, 2017, 11:07 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... phase-done

So , it wasn't the evil and incompetent NDP ?

Wish I had saved the original wording of the original post , so we could compare it to the actual truth. Somewhere in this thread , I am sure I read someone posting that they "knew someone" working on the project and that indeed the NDP pulled the plug on it.
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 917 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room