Morneau Shepell ties to Bombardier

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Morneau Shepell ties to Bombardier

Postby Gone_Fishin » Oct 24th, 2017, 6:32 am

Morneau Shepell ties to Bombardier flag ‘minefield’ for finance minister: Opposition critics

Firm administers “some” group insurance and pension benefits for Bombardier, source told Star.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau is shown during question period in the House of Commons on Oct. 23. Morneau continues to face criticism over conflict of interest claims and his personal assets. (SEAN KILPATRICK / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By TONDA MACCHARLES Ottawa Bureau reporter
ALEX BALLINGALL Ottawa Bureau

Mon., Oct. 23, 2017

OTTAWA—Opposition critics are hammering Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s decision to retain shares in Morneau Shepell, the big pension firm he used to run, saying he faced a “minefield” of potential conflicts.

Those may have included the Liberal government’s decision to financially back Bombardier last winter to the tune of $372.5 million in interest-free loans for its CSeries and Global 7000 aircraft programs.

Morneau Shepell, which bills itself as Canada’s largest administrator of retirement and benefits plans, administers “some” group insurance and pension benefits for Bombardier, a knowledgeable source who declined to speak on the record told the Star.

snip

Neither Morneau Shepell nor Bombardier would discuss their contract, but Morneau Shepell’s copyright stamp is on the website portal for Bombardier employees to access information about their benefits.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... itics.html
Hey Horgan, orange and green mixed together make brown, and that's the colour of crap!

2 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3232 posts

Re: Morneau Shepell ties to Bombardier

Postby Queen K » Oct 24th, 2017, 8:56 am

I believe it's become clear that Bill Morneau should be stepping down as Finance Minister, no?
I'm over 50, I'm full of rage lately, I have two axes and I have a huge tree stump that needs to come out. Any questions?

4 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12467 posts

Postby Catsumi » Oct 24th, 2017, 9:48 am

Queen K wrote:I believe it's become clear that Bill Morneau should be stepping down as Finance Minister, no?

Yes, of course that makes sense, QK.

Problem is his successor will be cut from the same cloth.

Results: politicians and hacks line their pockets. Taxpayers, we do the lining.
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.

Queen K likes this post.
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1846 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Oct 24th, 2017, 10:56 am

Pretty clear cut conflict of interest,

Personal profit off government decisions
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2902 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Oct 24th, 2017, 12:38 pm

“Cut from the same cloth” did anyone honestly expect a anything different by electing from the same 2 parties that have ruled Canadian politics since its inception?

Liberal, conservative, you’re going to end up with the same thing every time. You wait 10 years and pretend “this time it’ll be different”, and then rinse and repeat.

It’s time for fresh leadership. From a party actually interested in doing what is right for Canada.
NDP 2019
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3211 posts

Postby Walking Wounded » Oct 24th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Omnitheo wrote:

It’s time for fresh leadership. From a party actually interested in doing what is right for Canada.
NDP 2019

:spitcoffee:
There is a reason the federal NDP have never help power in Canada, they are absolutely useless. We don't need electoral reforms. Just stick with First past the post and turf the useless NDP.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
Walking Wounded
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1570 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 24th, 2017, 3:23 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 24th, 2017, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bait removed.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15694 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 24th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Typical of BS' ing politicians, given the opportunity they are all the same no matter which political party they are a part of.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7144 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Omnitheo » Oct 24th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Walking Wounded wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:

NDP 2019

:spitcoffee:
There is a reason the federal NDP have never help power in Canada, they are absolutely useless. We don't need electoral reforms. Just stick with First past the post and turf the useless NDP.

How can you say the NDP are useless if they haven’t held power? Instead you’re bouncing between 2 corrupt parties pretending that next time one of them won’t be corrupt.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Postby Rwede » Oct 24th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Omnitheo wrote:How can you say the NDP are useless

I think their record speaks for itself.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Walking Wounded likes this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5120 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 24th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Instead you’re bouncing between 2 corrupt parties pretending that next time one of them won’t be corrupt.

While I agree that the Liberals are corrupt, I'm not sure how a party like the NDP who is being run by Big Union and Big Green wouldn't also be corrupt. Those are two of the most corrupt organizations in North America. The NDP is one giant cesspool of corruption. I do agree that there needs to be an overhaul of the system, but the NDP is not the cure. Electing them is like decapitating yourself because you have a headache.
- Dr. Don Boys

4 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Omnitheo » Oct 24th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Rwede wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:How can you say the NDP are useless

I think their record speaks for itself.

And you’re dodging. You offer up no argument. Seems the only arguments here have been made on hypotheticals.

We don’t need hypotheticals to see that the liberals and conservatives have been as corrupt as can be.

It’s like little kids who don’t eat some foods because they’ve preconceived them as disgusting despite never having tried it.

“Why don’t you like peas?”
“Because they’re gross”
“Have you tried them?”
“No because they’re gross”
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Postby Catsumi » Oct 24th, 2017, 5:02 pm

GordonH wrote:Typical of BS' ing politicians, given the opportunity they are all the same no matter which political party they are a part of.

Let me say it again: "Before the election they are at your feet. After elected, at your throat." Mark Twain

Truer words have never been spoken.

Omentheo, once again I agree with you, until your last sentence. The NDP once elected has forever turned out to be worse than what came before. We see it now once again in B.C. And, they have had plenty of time to wash and rinse, and STILL the same crappola appears within a week of being elected.

Is there not one person in Canada that is a man (or woman) of the people, capable and thoughtful, who can run this country without constant scandals, backscratching and just plain old deceitfulness?

I despair.
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1846 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 24th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Omnitheo wrote:
It’s like little kids who don’t eat some foods because they’ve preconceived them as disgusting despite never having tried it.

“Why don’t you like peas?”
“Because they’re gross”
“Have you tried them?”
“No because they’re gross”

Or in this case:

"Why don't you like the NDP"?
"Because they grossly over-spend"
"Have you tried them?"
"Yes, in Ontario, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Alberta, Saskatchewan (special exemption for Tommy Douglas, who never ran a deficit) and BC. And they were gross over-spenders. And gross killers of economic development. They're just gross. No thanks".
- Dr. Don Boys

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Omnitheo » Oct 24th, 2017, 5:27 pm

We’ve seen in BC? They’ve been elected for only months. Not even enough time for most policies to go into effect, let alone see the results of those policies. The liberals had a decade. Years of data to look over and see what they did well and what they did poorly. To make any blanket statements now about the NDP is foolish, and likely knee-jerk.
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to Bickering Room