Pitbulls, Eh?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Pitbulls, Eh?

Postby Fancy » Nov 11th, 2017, 3:26 pm

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Yes any dog is capable but certain breeds have been specifically designed for such behaviour making them unsuitable and unsafe as family pets.
One needs to have the knowledge and capability of handling those types of dogs. Too late for these people:
Mushanski said the dogs were larger than she and her husband anticipated and keeping them had grown to be too much.

She said the dogs were aggressive with other animals, once killing a fox that had gotten into their pen, but had never bitten a person since they owned them.

“We love animals,” Mushanski said. “We didn’t want to see them euthanized so we wanted to see them go somewhere where they could live out their lives.”

http://www.ckom.com/syn/648/136358/gran ... dog-attack
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6071 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Nov 11th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2045 posts

Postby 1669 » Nov 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm

"Pit bull attacks on 2 B.C. children spark calls for ban
'When I had her in my arms, I didn't know if she was dying,' mother of 1 of the victims says

The Cranfords now believe the breed is the problem, and are calling on the B.C government to ban pit bulls, as Ontario and Winnipeg have.

"When it happened to my daughter, it really hit home," said Mike Cranford.

The Cranfords said it's a miracle Emma-Leigh wasn't more traumatized, but they ensure she is not in the room when they talk about what happened, and don't want other children to suffer the same fate, or worse.

"We would like to see pit bulls banned and I'm very serious. That is what I would like to see, yup, before it happens ... and somebody else is not so fortunate," said Elizabeth."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.1275814
Guru

Liked in: 441 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 11th, 2017, 10:08 pm

^^ brought up here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43876&hilit=cranford&start=510

Silverstarqueen wrote:Didn't you just post that on the previous page?

Reposting the same thing time and time again doesn't make sense especially when what it states doesn't make sense.
Here's another item that talks about licenced dogs in Edmonton.
The City of Edmonton gave The Journal access to its database of licensed pets. We've taken that data and mapped it to show the distribution of the 10 most popular dog breeds. Each breed is mapped by FSA, or forward sortation area, which is the first three digits of a postal code.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/pets/dog-map/index.html
Obviously there's a lot more dogs in Edmonton than what 1669 keeps posting because we all know the majority aren't licenced.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby 1669 » Nov 11th, 2017, 10:57 pm

"We shouldn't see them killing more than double the next highest breed, when there are so few of them in the city.

Of the nine fatal dog-on-dog attacks reported to date in 2017, American Staffordshire terriers were blamed for six."
Guru

Postby Silverstarqueen » Nov 12th, 2017, 6:23 am

1669 wrote:"Pit bull attacks on 2 B.C. children spark calls for ban
'When I had her in my arms, I didn't know if she was dying,' mother of 1 of the victims says

The Cranfords now believe the breed is the problem, and are calling on the B.C government to ban pit bulls, as Ontario and Winnipeg have.

The Cranfords said it's a miracle Emma-Leigh wasn't more traumatized, but they ensure she is not in the room when they talk about what happened, and don't want other children to suffer the same fate, or worse.

"We would like to see pit bulls banned and I'm very serious. That is what I would like to see, yup, before it happens ... and somebody else is not so fortunate," said Elizabeth."

"Bush said families need to know how dangerous some dogs can be.

"And it's not just the pit bull breeds. It's other vicious dogs," said Bush"
As quoted from the article
I think we can all agree that "children need to be protected from dangerous dogs", story is perfect illustration of parents letting their children play with dogs when neither was well suited or well supervised. Surely we have learned that much.

The part of the article which was NOT accurate was "A recent report in Toronto showed the number of dog bites fell since a pit bull ban was put in place seven years ago, but the Ontario ban is under attack by opponents. "
In fact Ontario saw no reduction in dog bites after the pitbull ban.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Fancy » Nov 12th, 2017, 6:24 am

Still have not heard anything about fines to the owner of the mastiff crosses (topic that started this thread).
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Silverstarqueen » Nov 12th, 2017, 6:26 am

1669 wrote:"We shouldn't see them killing more than double the next highest breed, when there are so few of them in the city.

Of the nine fatal dog-on-dog attacks reported to date in 2017, American Staffordshire terriers were blamed for six."

Which means they have no idea how many of any particular breed are actually in the area, so comparisons are meaningless.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Fancy » Nov 12th, 2017, 6:54 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:Which means they have no idea how many of any particular breed are actually in the area, so comparisons are meaningless.

That's already been mentioned so 1669 is repeating something irrelevant and this was in the link too:
Edmonton has long had relatively low levels of pet registration, so it can be hard to determine exactly how many dogs live in the city.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby johnny24 » Nov 12th, 2017, 7:48 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:
1669 wrote:"Pit bull attacks on 2 B.C. children spark calls for ban

"Bush said families need to know how dangerous some dogs can be.

"And it's not just the pit bull breeds. It's other vicious dogs," said Bush"
As quoted from the article
I think we can all agree that "children need to be protected from dangerous dogs", story is perfect illustration of parents letting their children play with dogs when neither was well suited or well supervised. Surely we have learned that much.

The part of the article which was NOT accurate was "A recent report in Toronto showed the number of dog bites fell since a pit bull ban was put in place seven years ago, but the Ontario ban is under attack by opponents. "
In fact Ontario saw no reduction in dog bites after the pitbull ban.

Your arguments are getting silly and desperate. Pitbulls have nothing to do with cars or guns and all negative stories against pitbulls are not false. Yes, children need to be protected from dangerous dogs. I won't let my kids near pitbulls, but I'd prefer that they were banned so I don't have to rely on an owner's ability to control their dogs.

2 people like this post.
johnny24
Board Meister

Liked in: 254 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 12th, 2017, 4:00 pm

johnny24 wrote:I won't let my kids near pitbulls, but I'd prefer that they were banned so I don't have to rely on an owner's ability to control their dogs.

The list of dogs that have killed children and adults is disturbing - pitbulls are not the only ones that can be dangerous with the wrong owners as noted in this thread.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Nov 14th, 2017, 4:30 am

Pitbulls are dangerous with the right owners and that's the problem. You never know if you've had a good one till it's dead. Not a risk the rest of us should have to live with.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.

1669 likes this post.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 419 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 7:19 am

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Pitbulls are dangerous with the right owners and that's the problem. You never know if you've had a good one till it's dead. Not a risk the rest of us should have to live with.

Any dog can be dangerous with the "wrong" owner. A "right" owner knows how to go about getting a good dog through proper breeding and knows about socializing and training. You do the right owners wrong by using the wording you did. You don't punish the right owners - you go after the wrong ones. People need to be held accountable for their actions and too many media reports show dogs that hit the news have had serious prior incidents. Alaskan Malamutes and other husky-type dogs have taken their toll lately and other breeds are just as dangerous. Chow Chows, Retrievers, Shepherds, Rottweilers, Molosers/Mastiffs are but a few that have taken lives. No one should have to live with the risk of any of these dogs because of bad breeding, bad upbringing and bad owners. The media reports what gets the public attention - you haven't heard that the dogs that killed the pet on the Greenway were put down (only that they were going to unless I missed that story) nor have you heard of any fines levied against the owner(s).
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby 1669 » Nov 14th, 2017, 8:55 am

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Pitbulls are dangerous with the right owners and that's the problem. You never know if you've had a good one till it's dead. Not a risk the rest of us should have to live with.

Exactly. All breeds can have both good and bad owners, yet it is the pitbulls who consistently cause more problems than all the other breeds combined. All we hear is nothing but the same bleating desperate excuses from pitbull supporters.

cr125 likes this post.
Guru

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 9:00 am

1669 wrote:Exactly. All breeds can have both good and bad owners, yet it is the pitbulls who consistently cause more problems than all the other breeds combined.
I've removed the nonsense and will correct this statement. Pitbulls are considered a type of dog and I think the ones we hear about are a result of irresponsible breeding. Get rid of backyard breeders and puppy mills and follow up on dog complaints. The laws need to be upheld and enforced for all dogs.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room