Pitbulls, Eh?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Pitbulls, Eh?

Postby Fancy » Jan 30th, 2018, 8:23 am

johnny24 wrote:I guess I value my kids health more than you do.
That's wrong and you know it.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6102 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 30th, 2018, 8:24 am

And before you go any further - this thread is about dogs.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Jan 30th, 2018, 8:26 am

Another point to remember when getting a pet - do your research and adopt accordingly.

A family from Saint John claims a New Brunswick dog rescue organization misled them about the aggressive behaviour of a dog they adopted — and that dog ended up killing another family pet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.4470580
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:07 am

You can do all the research you want but if shelters are lying about a dog's history, creating a new one etc how can you make an informed decision? Also the southern States are having some really bad dog issues so adopting a rescue from there is not a good idea. There is a motion trying to pass that would make it illegal to lie about a dog's history, Canada should follow suit.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.

1669 likes this post.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 420 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 31st, 2018, 7:43 am

Which is why I said adopt accordingly. Why take a chance.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:07 am

But how if the dog's history is fiction. Shelters aren't going to share that fact. People think they are adopting what they are told is a good dog only to find out when it's too late. The families in these stories are not to blame.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Fancy » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:21 pm

What do you mean how? Why would you get a dog from a shelter not knowing the history? Get a dog from a reputable breeder.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:34 pm

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:You can do all the research you want but if shelters are lying about a dog's history, creating a new one etc how can you make an informed decision?

This is something that really makes me shake my head. How does any shelter truly know the history of any dog that comes in without themselves doing a background check which is impossible for strays. The dog in the link above was said to be a Pharaoh hound mix which sounds like a guess to me however that breed is a hunting dog. Why would someone want to bring in a dog that goes after small animals into a home with a small animal? Doesn't make any kind of sense to me.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:38 pm

For some shelters are a better option. Unfortunately in this day and age shelters are lying and creating 'clickbait' sob stories to home dogs. Makes their turnover stats better and they can stay labelled as no-kill.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Fancy » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:39 pm

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:For some shelters are a better option. Unfortunately in this day and age shelters are lying and creating 'clickbait' sob stories to home dogs. Makes their turnover stats better and they can stay labelled as no-kill.

Again, the dog's history was unknown and a little research into the breed of the dog as given should have put up a red flag or two.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:42 pm

Fancy wrote:This is something that really makes me shake my head. How does any shelter truly know the history of any dog that comes in without themselves doing a background check which is impossible for strays. The dog in the link above was said to be a Pharaoh hound mix which sounds like a guess to me however that breed is a hunting dog. Why would someone want to bring in a dog that goes after small animals into a home with a small animal? Doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

I don't know. Why would someone want to bring in a dog that was specially bred to fight/kill ignoring all the usual instincts as well as go beyond pain otherwise known as gameness??
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Fancy » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:45 pm

We are speaking to the news item posted:
I said do your research - you reply "You can do all the research you want but..."
I pointed out that knowing there is no history (except scars which should have been a red flag) and knowing the type of breed they were getting, why did they take a chance?

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:The families in these stories are not to blame.

The dog already got into a fight with another dog, went after a child yet they still kept the dog and ended up with a dead one. The fault lies squarely on the owners.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Jan 31st, 2018, 3:40 pm

And I'm asking you why others would take a chance on a few different breeds? You know the ones that have the advocates that say any dog can bite, kill, maim and that genetics play no part in the behaviours. What makes this case different than all the others other than breed?

Had this been an honest and legit rescue they would've taken the dog back. Why didn't they and why are there at least 3 documented cases like this of dogs from this shelter. Oh that's right these kinds of people lie, plead ignorance and then blame everyone else for a problem that they could've prevented.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Fancy » Jan 31st, 2018, 4:29 pm

If you do not want to discuss the news release then why say this?
ifwisheswerehorses wrote:You can do all the research you want but if shelters are lying about a dog's history,

when you knew the dog had no history? Why make up something that appears didn't happen?
ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Had this been an honest and legit rescue they would've taken the dog back. Why didn't they ...
We don't know what happened - only that the dog has been rehomed.

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Oh that's right these kinds of people lie, plead ignorance and then blame everyone else for a problem that they could've prevented.
Yet you think the owners are not to blame even after a dog fight and a child almost bit. That's a cop out. Of course the owners are to blame and I know of several places that would not take a dog back after over 5 months if they don't have the room. The dog is already a year old. Should have taken the dog to the pound or SPCA. The owners ARE to blame knowing the dog was already aggressive.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Feb 1st, 2018, 10:42 am

Canada should implement this bill and have blanket all the provinces.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/bill_applies_felony_charge_to.html
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room