Censorship on campus

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Censorship on campus

Postby Urbane » Nov 20th, 2017, 1:33 pm

There was a time when diversity of thought was the cornerstone of the university experience in North America. Not anymore though. Now, "diversity of thought" means adhering to a narrow range of thought approved by higher authorities. Here is the latest example:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3868080/laur ... um=Twitter

It's good to read on Twitter that some people, like journalist Gary Mason, think the authorities questioning the young TA should be fired. Me too.

3 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9585 posts

Re: Censorship on campus

Postby Urbane » Nov 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Rwede likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Rwede » Nov 20th, 2017, 2:45 pm

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

We're there, folks, thanks to Justin Trudeau and company.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

3 people like this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5118 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 20th, 2017, 3:57 pm

now watch the usual PC dumb-dumbs come on here and accuse this poor TA of "hate". It's textbook, and exactly why Trump won.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists
- Dr. Don Boys

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 14807 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 20th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Urbane wrote:There was a time when diversity of thought was the cornerstone of the university experience in North America. Not anymore though. Now, "diversity of thought" means adhering to a narrow range of thought approved by higher authorities. Here is the latest example:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3868080/laur ... um=Twitter

It's good to read on Twitter that some people, like journalist Gary Mason, think the authorities questioning the young TA should be fired. Me too.

That is pretty rediculous. Faculty staff took this way too far. I could understand where they were coming from if the person was trying to preach intolerance, but in this case they were essentially showcasing different arguments, with full context and real world examples of opposing viewpoints.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Queen K likes this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2868 posts

Postby Glacier » Nov 20th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 8939 posts

Postby Terris » Nov 20th, 2017, 6:41 pm

A clear example of the PC pendulum hitting it's own left wall.

THUD!!! Momentum lost...

That a junior level TA should be excoriated on a University by those who hold themselves, and profess, to be the exemplars of free speech, is itself evidence of the fallacies developed by the self entitled and self aggrandized leftist PC movement over the last 2 decades and now we have this end result achieved by the ludicrous, leftist PC fascists.

The original story I heard on CBC radio,was based on LGBTQ commentary regarding their (LGBTQ's) supposed "right" to hijack the current status quo of the public majority on the Laurier Campus, by a minority within a minority, who is insisting that, everyone must begin using gender neutral pronouns in their writings and speech so as not to offend LGBTQ peoples.

The TA was doing the right and honorable thing by broaching and announcing this topic/issue.

I believe it's time to debate the wisdom of Mr. Spock as it relates to this topic.

"The rights of the many are greater than the rights of the mewling few or the one."

I believe there is confusion over what PC fascists would demand is an actual human "right" (according to them) as opposed to what have to date been, in all actuality, a series of until now, unchallenged assumed privileges, base desires or blind ambitions.

Your right to demand I speak non-genderly (sic) ends where my right to continue to speak and write using gender identifying pronouns begins...

2 people like this post.
Terris
Board Meister

Liked in: 225 posts

Postby Urbane » Nov 20th, 2017, 6:54 pm

As Kate McMillan titles some of her posts, "What's the opposite of diversity? University"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Rwede wrote:“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

We're there, folks, thanks to Justin Trudeau and company.

Orwell's vision has been developing long before Justin Trudeau got elected. But that won't suit you and your narrative that everything bad in Canada literally springs from the JT cabinet.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11949 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 20th, 2017, 7:20 pm

As unfortunate as this scenario is, it should not be used to diminish the legitimacy of the issue of intolerance directed towards the lgbt community.

One of my best friends is gay. In a relationship with a woman in a country that treats homosexuality as illegal and could be met with harsh punishments.

Another friend of mine is due to to be married this summer, to his trans fiancé. Friends I’ve grown up with have come out as being gay or bi. And in accepting who they really are, they’ve been able to move ahead with their lives. Honest about who they are. My workplace celebrates diversity, and I have too, as for years in a row I have volunteered at the kelowna pride festival.

It’s important to understand opposing viewpoints. Because tolerance needs to be on all sides. When we understand the opposing viewpoints, we can work together to reconcile those, and to come to an understanding. When we censor, or discriminate, we are no better.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

3 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2868 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 7:31 pm

"She was called into a meeting in which Laurier faculty and administration told her that playing the clip without condemnation legitimizes the viewpoint, which they don’t support.

“In a university, all perspectives are valid,” she said in the meeting, which took place at the beginning of November.

“That’s not necessarily true,” a staff member responded.

The meeting, which Shepherd secretly recorded, left her in tears after staff said playing the clip created a toxic environment for transgender students and called her transphobic.

Shepherd defended her position saying she wanted to expose her students to opinions which are in the real world.

“I don’t get how exposing people to the idea makes me transphobic,” Shepherd said in the meeting."

Ya, I see the problem here. She was not to present viewpoints with it in mind to allow each viewpoint to stand on its own.
ONLY with condemnation to one.

What will the students do in the real World however? When viewpoints are just said and done and not legitimized by a higher authority?
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 20th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Its disgusting what she tried to do and she knows it. Claiming to be leftist is biggest joke of this affaire . Its exact same garbage as jason kenney wanting to out trans kids in school.. Anyone supporting what she had to say or the idiot she was supporting should be put in jail . :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 8:06 pm

I'm still not sure what she tried to do MJ,

She showed a video clip from this guy:

"The clip in question featured University of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson, who has famously refused to use gender pronouns other than “he” or “she,” defending his position against a professor who argued it was necessary to use the pronouns that a person prefers to be called."

Who is advocating that it's okay to use NON gender neutral pronouns.

She wasn't advocating that this is the only way to speak, she was showing that it is one way to speak.

And I'm guessing that is how EVERYONE speaks in their daily lives.

I am now guessing that orange is my new colour even though I've done nothing ILLEGAL in my life to justify jail other than defend a university teacher.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 8:11 pm

I'm not transphobic if I use "he and she" in my sentences from now on am I?

Or

Because I use "he" and "she" in my vocabulary I am now automatically "transphobic."

Or

Gender definite pronouns are part of my vocabulary. Deal with it.

Urbane likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Nov 20th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Omnitheo wrote:As unfortunate as this scenario is, it should not be used to diminish the legitimacy of the issue of intolerance directed towards the lgbt community.

One of my best friends is gay. In a relationship with a woman in a country that treats homosexuality as illegal and could be met with harsh punishments.

Another friend of mine is due to to be married this summer, to his trans fiancé. Friends I’ve grown up with have come out as being gay or bi. And in accepting who they really are, they’ve been able to move ahead with their lives. Honest about who they are. My workplace celebrates diversity, and I have too, as for years in a row I have volunteered at the kelowna pride festival.

It’s important to understand opposing viewpoints. Because tolerance needs to be on all sides. When we understand the opposing viewpoints, we can work together to reconcile those, and to come to an understanding. When we censor, or discriminate, we are no better.

I have to agree 100% that this particular witchhunt does not and should not diminish the legitimacy of the issue of intolerance directed at the LBGQT community. And "love is love" and damned hard to find in today's World. So congratulations to them.

In this argument, a professor is being strongarmed to have to now apologize for showing how the real World speaks to each other, and using a professor who has said to use the pronouns the majority prefer rather than a minority within a minority.
In fact, I'm not sure she did apologize exactly, but I'm guessing her days at the university are numbered.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Next

Return to Bickering Room