Censorship on campus

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Censorship on campus

Postby Keith Duhaime » Nov 22nd, 2017, 6:53 pm

Queen K wrote:
Keith, note I bolded out me as separate from MJ? Know why? because you've not read our posts properly, that's why.

Depressingly, I'll bring you up to speed: I'm sympathizing with Lindsay Shepard, the T.A. who got impinged upon by the university brass for the henious "crime" of showing students a different viewpoint but not condemning it.

MJ is sympathizing with the university brass and the culture they wish to represent, MJ is saying that to not do so is akin to hate speech against transexuals.

Neither one of is a "fascist snowflake" as you've painted.

You however, not with one <removed> but three? Oh boy.

Okay, maybe I do owe you an apology, but MJ is another story. Which is kind of funny because one of my comments that was removed was thanking you for clarifying that he/she is a fascist. There is no defence for the behaviour to which Lindsay was subjected to, especially after doing exactly what she is supposed to be doing in a university classroom.

Back to the matter at hand, what is going to happen to the student that filed the complaint against Lindsay in the first place? It should have been made crystal clear to him/her/zim/zer, whatever that a university is an adult environment and basically provided courtesy of the taxpayer to which there should be accountability. And if this person can't handle that, then this child has no place in a university setting, Neither do the two profs and staff member that met with Lindsay. Next thing they will get upset for a TA (or other prof) bringing Mein Kampf into the classroom, or material discussing the Nanjing massacre, or how a slaughterhouse functions, or abortion as murder, or the use of animals in pharmaceutical testing, or one of many other things. Some students might not like these topics. Too bad! They have to grow up some time.

2 people like this post.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:43 pm

Keith, if you read MJ long enough, you'll realize that MJ isn't really a fascist. Quite the opposite for most cases. On this case, MJ and I just happen to disagree.
Terror Twins Inc. Castsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 10813 posts

Postby Keith Duhaime » Nov 23rd, 2017, 11:33 am

Queen K wrote:Keith, if you read MJ long enough, you'll realize that MJ isn't really a fascist. Quite the opposite for most cases. On this case, MJ and I just happen to disagree.

maryjane48 wrote: Anyone supporting what she had to say or the idiot she was supporting should be put in jail . :smt045

MJ=fascist Mic drop.

And again, as a taxpayer, I would like to know what is happening with the student that initiated the complaint process? They should be shown the door.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Postby Queen K » Nov 23rd, 2017, 11:35 am

No, that student should be shown why the university administrators apologized for their misguided conducts towards the T.A.

And once again, MJ is no fascist. End.
Terror Twins Inc. Castsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Urbane » Nov 24th, 2017, 7:12 pm

This Rex Murphy column is so good. Providing an excerpt wouldn't do justice to it so here's the link and please read the full column: http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mur ... ng-caldron
"If you don't read the press you are uninformed. If you read the press, you are misinformed."
~Mark Twain

Queen K likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8466 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 24th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Good old Rex nailed it again.
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.

2 people like this post.
Catsumi
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 836 posts

Postby Keith Duhaime » Nov 24th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Queen K wrote:No, that student should be shown why the university administrators apologized for their misguided conducts towards the T.A.

And once again, MJ is no fascist. End.

And why should anyone waste their time showing that student why the administrators 'apologized' for the misguided conduct against Ms. Shepherd? If they were sincere and it were a real apology they would deal with the student that filed the complaint by showing that individual the door for the disrespect they (ze, he, Zhe, whatever) showed taxpayers after the opportunity they were provided to learn what an adult is, namely one that controls their emotions. It's kind of like wasting time trying to convince anti-vaxxers or anti-GMOers to change their mind. They had (taxpayer funded) opportunities to learn already. As Australia has shown with anti-vaxxers, don't waste time and money trying to change them. Simply sanction them instead to at least recover some of the cost. The same applies to the snowflakes that want 'trigger warnings','safe places', etc.

As for MJ, you may have your opinions, but the evidence speaks for itself. Remember, facts don't care about opinions.

Also FYI, Ms. Shepherd and her story made the CBC's The National tonight. In the process they interviewed a transgender person that was apparently 'threatened' by Ms. Shepherd. What a piece of first world nonsense. My wife and I have seen people living in developing world conditions. Note to the LGBTQ snowflakes of Wilfred Laurier University offended, threatened, etc. by mature subject matter, you are not living in Chechnya or Uganda or a number of other places on this planet. IOW, no one is going to kill, torture, or imprison you. Even at its worst in Canada, we have social safety nets that mean you live better than possibly half the world's population. So realistically, you have nothing to complain about. And as winners of the birth lottery (being born in Canada), opportunities that about 3/4 of the world's population would envy. So grow up!
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Postby Queen K » Nov 24th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Keith, I hitchhiked through Turkey on the Black Sea coast and into Kurdish country to Iran in the early '80s. I've seen horrendous poverty too and know Canada is first rate: as long as you don't live on a Northern Reserve where people are encouraged to send Christmas shoe boxes like they do for Ethiopians. I certainly don't need lectures from you. So don't "snowflake" me.

Fact: MJ isn't here right now to defend or deny or own those statements, but if you bother to scroll through many of MJs posts, I doubt you'd take the time, you'd not confirm your bias and that would make your head explode.

And why lose a perfectly good teaching opportunity? Of course they should present this as a chance to right a wrong.

Did you read Rex Murphy's essay which Urbane was kind enough to publish the link to? I read it just fine. Perhaps you have an opinion on it?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 25th, 2017, 9:45 am

Lol keith im antifa fool . It is you i will put forward is the nazi as you seem to want to defend bigotry . If you think free speech includes hate speech then your not paying attention to anything but your dislike of gay or trans folks . How big is your jason kenney poster ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2658 posts

Postby Keith Duhaime » Nov 25th, 2017, 11:51 am

maryjane48 wrote:Lol keith im antifa fool . It is you i will put forward is the nazi as you seem to want to defend bigotry . If you think free speech includes hate speech then your not paying attention to anything but your dislike of gay or trans folks . How big is your jason kenney poster ?
'

LOL! You might want to talk to some of my gay friends and neighbours about my 'dislike of gay or trans folks'. Sorry, but the evidence still speaks for itself.

maryjane48 wrote:Its disgusting what she tried to do and she knows it. Claiming to be leftist is biggest joke of this affaire . Its exact same garbage as jason kenney wanting to out trans kids in school.. Anyone supporting what she had to say or the idiot she was supporting should be put in jail .

maryjane48=fascist, as does antifa.

Seriously what should be happening is government should condition university funding on adoption of the policy adopted by the University of Chicago. You can review it here: https://freeexpression.uchicago.edu/pag ... expression. The first world birth lottery winners simply have to grow up. It's not like taxpayers did not provide them the opportunity to know better.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Postby Keith Duhaime » Nov 25th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Queen K wrote:Keith, I hitchhiked through Turkey on the Black Sea coast and into Kurdish country to Iran in the early '80s. I've seen horrendous poverty too and know Canada is first rate: as long as you don't live on a Northern Reserve where people are encouraged to send Christmas shoe boxes like they do for Ethiopians. I certainly don't need lectures from you. So don't "snowflake" me.

Good, I will respect you for that, but at the same time I expect you not to make make excuses for birth lottery winners like ourselves.

Queen K wrote:And why lose a perfectly good teaching opportunity? Of course they should present this as a chance to right a wrong.

Did you read Rex Murphy's essay which Urbane was kind enough to publish the link to? I read it just fine. Perhaps you have an opinion on it?

Yes, I read both of Rex's posts as well as Blatchford's. But what we all should be reading and demanding is adoption of the University of Chicago's policy on Freedom of Expression.

As for the instigator, sorry, but that person missed their learning opportunity. In my day it was about grade 10 when we learned a bit about civics like our social contract as Canadians and how we relate to eachother, not just in terms of rights, but also responsibilities if externalities are to be mitigated. I can't imagine it has changed that much even if it has been 40 years.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Postby Walking Wounded » Dec 5th, 2017, 3:58 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Lol keith im antifa fool . It is you i will put forward is the nazi as you seem to want to defend bigotry . If you think free speech includes hate speech then your not paying attention to anything but your dislike of gay or trans folks . How big is your jason kenney poster ?

As usual, your the fool trying to make up something that's not there, there was no bigotry and no hate speech by this TA. Only a completely brain dead moron could think there was.
Walking Wounded
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1008 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 6th, 2017, 2:05 pm

lindsey.jpg

Excellent interview with Lindsey Shepherd...

Urbane likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 8132 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room