Censorship on campus

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Censorship on campus

Postby Rwede » Nov 21st, 2017, 10:40 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

3 people like this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5115 posts

Postby DvAbCanEh! » Nov 21st, 2017, 10:42 am

Talk about "the pot calling the kettle black" comparing Shepherd to Hitler. This university is a Dick Tator Ship to the 10th Power.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
DvAbCanEh!

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 21st, 2017, 11:12 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2450 posts

Postby Rwede » Nov 21st, 2017, 11:19 am

*removed*
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5115 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 21st, 2017, 11:32 am

*removed*
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Postby techrtr » Nov 21st, 2017, 12:24 pm

Several years ago the Israeli ambassador was supposed to speak at Concordia University. the Palestinian Student Union went *bleep*, had a bunch of protests, and the Ambassador's appearance was cancelled. So much for free speech. Universities are not bastions of free speech.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 726 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 21st, 2017, 1:00 pm

techrtr wrote:Several years ago the Israeli ambassador was supposed to speak at Concordia University. the Palestinian Student Union went *bleep*, had a bunch of protests, and the Ambassador's appearance was cancelled. So much for free speech. Universities are not bastions of free speech.

yet I would bet if the leader of Hamas wanted to speak at Carleton, they'd bend over backwards to make that happen. That's the problem with these universities. They keep bending over for the Left, all because they are too afraid of real free speech. And the idiots on the Left know this. All they have to do is shout "I'm offended" and the universities cave to these leftist snowflakes. It's ridiculous.
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

Rwede likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12219 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 21st, 2017, 2:40 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Justin Trudeau

Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Postby Urbane » Nov 21st, 2017, 3:01 pm

A step in the right direction:

The head of Wilfrid Laurier University has officially apologized to teaching assistant Lindsay Shepherd for a meeting where faculty members dressed her down for showing students a video clip of a debate involving controversial professor Jordan Peterson.

“Through the media, we have now had the opportunity to hear the full recording of the meeting that took place at Wilfrid Laurier University,” says the letter from President and Vice-Chancellor Deborah MacLatchy.

“After listening to this recording, an apology is in order. The conversation I heard does not reflect the values and practices to which Laurier aspires. I am sorry it occurred in the way that it did and I regret the impact it had on Lindsay Shepherd.”
http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/w ... erson-clip
"If you don't read the press you are uninformed. If you read the press, you are misinformed."
~Mark Twain

Queen K likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8459 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 21st, 2017, 3:27 pm

Urbane wrote:A step in the right direction:

The head of Wilfrid Laurier University has officially apologized to teaching assistant Lindsay Shepherd for a meeting where faculty members dressed her down for showing students a video clip of a debate involving controversial professor Jordan Peterson.

“Through the media, we have now had the opportunity to hear the full recording of the meeting that took place at Wilfrid Laurier University,” says the letter from President and Vice-Chancellor Deborah MacLatchy.

“After listening to this recording, an apology is in order. The conversation I heard does not reflect the values and practices to which Laurier aspires. I am sorry it occurred in the way that it did and I regret the impact it had on Lindsay Shepherd.”
http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/w ... erson-clip

Good on the Laurier brass. You wonder what would have happened to "hate-monger" Lindsay if she hadn't had the fore-sight to record the conversation. Now being able to record conversations on phones really is a game-changer. There was a story a few weeks ago (now of course I can't find it) where a gay man was taken into a university star chamber in the US for saying that he was offended by how Iran kills people for being gay. He recorded the entire conversation and it was pretty brutal. I believe Glacier posted that story somewhere. Same kind of thing - total censorship on campus in the name of not offending anybody.

The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby DvAbCanEh! » Nov 21st, 2017, 3:33 pm

In light of the meeting being secretly recorded we feel that an apology would now be an appropriate response to deflect any further criticism away from the University and management.
Onward Ho! Same old, same old
DvAbCanEh!

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 21st, 2017, 3:40 pm

DvAbCanEh! wrote:In light of the meeting being secretly recorded we feel that an apology would now be an appropriate response to deflect any further criticism away from the University and management.
Onward Ho! Same old, same old

The sad thing is that this conversation should never have happened in the first place. If universities would stop catering to triggered snowflakes then no one would care. It's time these kids grew up. Bending over for them isn't preparing them for the real world. It's just showing them that if they whine loud enough someone will listen to their stupid demands. And that's horribly unhealthy.

Rwede likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Urbane » Nov 21st, 2017, 5:19 pm

Here's another take on that apology to which I referred earlier:
Wilfrid Laurier University teaching assistant Lindsay Shepherd is undoubtedly a better human being than I am — and at 22, probably a more mature one — and may well accept the raft of apologies now coming her way, but I would tell them all to blow the mea culpas out their various bums.
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/thousan ... elebrating
"If you don't read the press you are uninformed. If you read the press, you are misinformed."
~Mark Twain

Rwede likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8459 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 21st, 2017, 5:21 pm

Why is Professor Jordon Peterson controversial?
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 10782 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 21st, 2017, 5:25 pm

Queen K wrote:Why is Professor Jordon Peterson controversial?

because he's a professor in Canada who isn't a brain-washed communist moron. He doesn't bend over for every single stupid SJW cause and brainless PC virtue signal. Therefore, he is a "hate speech monger".

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room