Horgan anti-pot smoking.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Horgan anti-pot smoking.

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:39 pm

So much for all the pot smokers getting a free pass on smoking in public.
Premier John Horgan says marijuana users in British Columbia could face the same rules as those who smoke tobacco in public.

Horgan says his government is still formulating its marijuana policy, but following bylaws that prohibit people from smoking near buildings or public spaces is under consideration
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213840

Ha Ha! :laugh: :yahoo: :clapping:

Priority #1b II
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Rwede likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3645 posts

Smoking is Smoking

Postby Veovis » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:55 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/213840 ... ould-match

I think this is best policy. There is no possible way we send tobacco out of a bar but let weed in, it would be a silly policy, however they can share the same smoke pit I figure. Not smoking near doors, nor on hospital grounds and other places all makes sense to me.

Same as vaping as well.

IF there is a second hand product, it should most certainly be removed from any indoor or other area.

However I don't likely think there is anyone I know that smokes weed that would imagine these rules would be any less that the same as smoking.

Smurf
spooker
Jflem1983
likes this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4260 posts

Re: Smoking is Smoking

Postby Queen K » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Let's narrow this down.

Smoking is gross. Disgusting.
Smoking cigarettes in public anywhere forcing people to inhale your habit is disgraceful.

But smoking weed in public is going to be worse. How do people protect themselves from the wanted assault on breathing in second hand weed smoke? Much less the smell (stench)?

No one wants to breathe it in folks, keep it to your own quarters, legal or not.

"British Columbia announced last week it will allow marijuana sales at private and public stores to buyers who are at least 19 years old."

^^ Since this is going to be true, why are pot shops being perscuted to the max by not being granted licenses?
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13477 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Nah. Be a little tolerant. A little herb smell in the air is fine.
Dimples - "just not ready"

Snman
capleton
likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 9679 posts

Postby Veovis » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Queen K wrote:Let's narrow this down.

Smoking cigarettes in public anywhere forcing people to inhale your habit is disgraceful.

But smoking weed in public is going to be worse. How do people protect themselves from the wanted assault on breathing in second hand weed smoke? Much less the smell (stench)?

No one wants to breathe it in folks, keep it to your own quarters, legal or not.

It sounds in the article that Ontario is saying "keep it at home". I figure if there is a smoking section the two groups can share it. Sure smoking is gross, it's also legal as will pot smoking as well. The fact it is "gross" (to play devils advocate)is your opinion, this is where tricky comes in, some people find kissing gross (between any combination), should that then be banned in public?

A little over certainly, but opinions and feelings vs perfectly legal activities is something we need to back off on. Don't get me wrong, not coming out of bars and pubs reeking is nice, the transition took time, but it is nice to not have that cloud (though at the time it didn't bother me I didn't miss it when it was gone)

I think if the bulk can try to be quite respectful and similar rules enacted (segregating the classes of smokers will work poorly I imagine) the implementation of these new pot rules should work out ok in the long run. There will be some massive growing pains and screw up I bet but it'll get there
Veovis
Guru

Postby Queen K » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:11 pm

You can't be serious? Are you trolling Hobbyguy? The rental beside me has destroyed my peace of mind and enjoyment of being outdoors because the potheads renting the basement suite smoke their pot outside. I am hostage to it, not a willing participant. The hope I had early on that they'd move out having so many people living in the suite above them has long since been dashed. The losers have stayed.

Hostage is not willing.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Veovis wrote:
Queen K wrote:Let's narrow this down.

It sounds in the article that Ontario is saying "keep it at home". I figure if there is a smoking section the two groups can share it. Sure smoking is gross, it's also legal as will pot smoking as well. The fact it is "gross" (to play devils advocate)is your opinion, this is where tricky comes in, some people find kissing gross (between any combination), should that then be banned in public?

A little over certainly, but opinions and feelings vs perfectly legal activities is something we need to back off on. Don't get me wrong, not coming out of bars and pubs reeking is nice, the transition took time, but it is nice to not have that cloud (though at the time it didn't bother me I didn't miss it when it was gone)

I think if the bulk can try to be quite respectful and similar rules enacted (segregating the classes of smokers will work poorly I imagine) the implementation of these new pot rules should work out ok in the long run. There will be some massive growing pains and screw up I bet but it'll get there

You're wrong that second hand smoke being gross is only an opinion. Lots of medical research has gone into finding that second hand smoke is a medical issue causing damage to other peoples lungs. Other peoples.

Your kissing analogy doesn't even come close. Kissing by definition, say if I kissed Glacier, doing so isn't giving you lung issues. His wife might kill me, but that's different.

Second bolded part: yes, that's a given. But pot smoke has permeated downtown parks for quite a while now. And since pot induces impairment, should it be legal to smoke in public places at all?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Veovis » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:21 pm

If you sloppy kissed near me and got your spit on me I might get sick from it? lol.

Some people don't mind the smell of weed, some do. If my neighbor makes a good steak I can smell the BBQ, doesn't mean the meat in in my face though.

I understand not liking the smell, it's not great, same as tobacco but a smell doesn't always mean a second hand smoke issue.

Sorry to hear you have chronic neighbors though, the idea of legal weed has been that people enjoy is recreational however some always go overboard.
Veovis
Guru

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Our society has become brainwashed about smells in general. I grew up around livestock, cleaning out chicken coops etc.

Anti-perspirants, flowery soaps, perfuming laundry, perfumes, colognes, automatic air fresheners and on and on. Most loaded with chemicals - somehow those are fine.

Good grief. Give me the smell of a chicken coop any day, it is real, and connects you with the world. A little herb smell is a big nothing.
Dimples - "just not ready"
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 9679 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:41 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Our society has become brainwashed about smells in general. I grew up around livestock, cleaning out chicken coops etc.

Anti-perspirants, flowery soaps, perfuming laundry, perfumes, colognes, automatic air fresheners and on and on. Most loaded with chemicals - somehow those are fine.

Good grief. Give me the smell of a chicken coop any day, it is real, and connects you with the world. A little herb smell is a big nothing.

No, some smells trigger severe allergic reactions causing many public areas to proclaim themselves as "Scent free" areas.

As for chicken coops, I too grew up around a farm, going to one constantly, collecting eggs and milking cows. Give me a farm over pot any day. But the analogy isn't quite correct. The farmyard never gave anyone lung disease, shortness of breath, or need of oxygen.

I swear you are just trolling me about this issue.

Oh, and I gave Rwede royal heck for that smoking avatar, and he won't change it. :-X
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Veovis wrote:If you sloppy kissed near me and got your spit on me I might get sick from it? lol.

Some people don't mind the smell of weed, some do. If my neighbor makes a good steak I can smell the BBQ, doesn't mean the meat is in my face though.

I understand not liking the smell, it's not great, same as tobacco but a smell doesn't always mean a second hand smoke issue.

Sorry to hear you have chronic neighbors though, the idea of legal weed has been that people enjoy is recreational however some always go overboard.

What really bothers me is that IF I had children, what would I do to protect them from the stench? What will people with children do if come July 1, suddenly all the neighbours are forcing weed stench and smoke on children? Teenagers? Unwilling hostages, all of them.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Queen K wrote:You can't be serious? Are you trolling Hobbyguy? The rental beside me has destroyed my peace of mind and enjoyment of being outdoors because the potheads renting the basement suite smoke their pot outside. I am hostage to it, not a willing participant. The hope I had early on that they'd move out having so many people living in the suite above them has long since been dashed. The losers have stayed.

Hostage is not willing.

If your employment is dependant upon a random drug test, you might not pass the next one. Just lookat that snowboarder at the Olympics, that went to a party and did not toke.....

(What year, I don't remember. Whistler? maybe?)

What if you were an airline pilot and lived next door to being exposed to THC from the basement dwelling renters next door??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3645 posts

Postby Veovis » Dec 12th, 2017, 6:03 pm

What if your neighbors cooking smells, how will you protect the children?

Smell is not necessarily smoke. IF you can video a cloud infecting your yard, I highly encourage you to tape it and make complaints, that would be awful.

Can I fire someone because they microwave tuna sandwiches at lunch and the smell is gross to me? Smell isn't an offense on it's own
Veovis
Guru

Postby Queen K » Dec 12th, 2017, 6:05 pm

How is the pot stench of smoking weed analogous to BBQing? UNLESS you're a vegetarian/vegan crying over Bessie.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby GordonH » Dec 12th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Only time cooking or BBQ'ing is the same as the smell of pot, is when the meat has gone bad (cooking spoiled meat).
At that moment both smells are equally disgusting.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7738 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Next

Return to Bickering Room