Horgan anti-pot smoking.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Horgan anti-pot smoking.

Postby Fancy » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:24 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:Try reading the thread. It's all about QueenK's disrespectful renter neighbors who dare smoke near the house she worked so hard to purchase and how she's entitled to this, entitled to that, me me me.

Anyone who disagrees doesn't house a house so just doesn't understand.

If buying a house will turn me into an entitled prick who feels it's okay to tell others what they can and can't do then I don't want one.

You won't need to buy a house.... I've read the thread and there's no "entitlement" there. One cannot impede another's right to enjoyment of their home. Offensive smoke comes under that umbrella.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6064 posts

Postby Hurtlander » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Fancy wrote:You won't need to buy a house.... I've read the thread and there's no "entitlement" there. One cannot impede another's right to enjoyment of their home. Offensive smoke comes under that umbrella.

So if your neighbour doesn’t like the smell of your BBQ, or your burning leaves (many places still allow leaf burning) they have the right to make you turn off your BBQ or to stop your leaf burning? I don’t think so.......
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 4037 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Obviously you haven't read the bylaw. Yes, there can be cause to have someone come out to check it out. Just because you don't think so doesn't make you right.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Hurtlander » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Fancy wrote:One cannot impede another's right to enjoyment of their home.

One cannot impede another’s right to enjoyment of their home while legally smoking a doobie on their back deck either..it works both ways.
Hurtlander
Guru

Postby Hurtlander » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Fancy wrote:Obviously you haven't read the bylaw. Yes, there can be cause to have someone come out to check it out. Just because you don't think so doesn't make you right.

What *bleep* bylaw are you talking about? Not everyone in the entire province lives in your municipality. In my town we absolutely can burn brush and leaves, and have cooking fires all year long. The exception being if there’s a fire ban due to dry weather. A little pot smoke wouldn’t even be noticed...
Hurtlander
Guru

Postby Fancy » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:54 pm

Hurtlander wrote:One cannot impede another’s right to enjoyment of their home while legally smoking a doobie on their back deck either..it works both ways.

No, it doesn't.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Hurtlander wrote:What *bleep* bylaw are you talking about?

Instead of having a hissy maybe you should have read my post about the Good Neighbour Bylaw (Kelowna). If it's in one city, it will be in another but not all. Kamloops, Vernon, Penticton, West Kelowna are but a few.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Dec 30th, 2017, 12:12 am

Hurtlander wrote:In my town we absolutely can burn brush and leaves, and have cooking fires all year long.

Good for you. In the Regional District of Central Okanagan there is a bylaw that covers nuisance smoke. Other towns will have similar bylaws. Pays to check it out before assuming.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Iamsomeone » Dec 30th, 2017, 12:52 am

Hurtlander wrote:
Pots been smoked publicly (albeit illegally) for as many years as I can remember, just walk around a campground during a late summer evening or ride a chairlift in the winter and take a deep breath....[/quote]

Or go to a concert with your 15 year old (10 years ago) at Prospera Arena who then asks what that smell is? And you answer honestly.

Come on people, it's nothing new.

Some people smoke tobacco and it annoys the neighbours, some people drink too much alcohol and annoy the neighbours, some people play their music too loud and annoy the neighbours and some people smoke dope and annoy the neighbours.

It's not going to be something neighbours haven't had to deal with for eternity but we usually manage to get along.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 30th, 2017, 12:54 am

And that's why we have Good Neighbour Bylaws that deal with those that have zero consideration for their neighbours and go beyond what's acceptable.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Iamsomeone » Dec 30th, 2017, 1:10 am

Fancy wrote:And that's why we have Good Neighbour Bylaws that deal with those that have zero consideration for their neighbours and go beyond what's acceptable.

That goes both ways Fancy.

Tolerance is a wonderful thing.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Postby Fancy » Dec 30th, 2017, 1:13 am

Iamsomeone wrote:
Fancy wrote:And that's why we have Good Neighbour Bylaws that deal with those that have zero consideration for their neighbours and go beyond what's acceptable.

That goes both ways Fancy.

?? I think what I said was self-explanatory. And the bylaw is available for everyone to read. It only goes one way - against those who break the bylaw.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Iamsomeone » Dec 30th, 2017, 1:38 am

"Zero consideration of their neighbours and what's acceptable" only applies to your thinking of the matter. What's acceptable to you or I is probably not the world or community standard.

I looked back 2 pages and could not find the bylaw you referred to but my point is, that it's in the best interest of all of us to get along.

If it takes a bit of adjustment in our thinking, that's not a bad thing and gives me hope for the future..
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Postby Fancy » Dec 30th, 2017, 1:44 am

Iamsomeone wrote:"Zero consideration of their neighbours and what's acceptable" only applies to your thinking of the matter. What's acceptable to you or I is probably not the world or community standard.

I looked back 2 pages and could not find the bylaw you referred to but my point is, that it's in the best interest of all of us to get along.

You can easily find it by googling it or look it up on the City of Kelowna website.
What's acceptable does not only apply to me and my thinking of the matter but a great many others. The Good Neighbour Bylaw was adopted in November of 2017 and obviously created over time because people don't get along and need intervention. Apparently a lot of what's in it that is acceptable to me is a community standard.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Iamsomeone » Dec 30th, 2017, 2:04 am

Fancy wrote:
Iamsomeone wrote:"Zero consideration of their neighbours and what's acceptable" only applies to your thinking of the matter. What's acceptable to you or I is probably not the world or community standard.

You can easily find it by googling it or look it up on the City of Kelowna website.
What's acceptable does not only apply to me and my thinking of the matter but a great many others. The Good Neighbour Bylaw was adopted in November of 2017 and obviously created over time because people don't get along and need intervention. Apparently a lot of what's in it that is acceptable to me is a community standard.

Okay, I googled the bylaw but only found it on another site that I'm not allowed to quote here. I doesn't appear to have a lot of relevence to this conversation though.

I'll stand down for the night.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room