Welfare.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Welfare.

Postby foodsmith » Dec 22nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Bsuds wrote:I would prefer to see a system where someone works and welfare supplements their wages to a level where they can afford to live rather that just a hand out.

I love where you're going with this: A guaranteed level of income and acknowledgement of the need for an equitable, livable wage for all!

:130:
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 22nd, 2017, 3:33 pm

removed.

the bickering forum is not overly moderated. However we do step in when people are crossing the line. Just an FYI for all.

Bpeep likes this post.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby foodsmith » Dec 22nd, 2017, 3:46 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Singapore had a good system. Likely still do.

If u needed it. The government would feed u house u etc. However u had to clean up the streets and sidewalks.

Singapore is known as a very clean safe city.

This is wholly inaccurate and, well, just untrue.

Singapore's 'Central Provident Fund' is responsible for the equitable division of standards of living for its citizens in general, and was incomparably successful for much of the 20th century.

One of the guiding principles of the government that brought this forth in the mid-60s (after independence was transferred from British colonial rule) was to NOT have people working in menial jobs in exchange for supportive services. Rather, the history demonstrates a firm, heavily-funded push for education first as a means of resolving social/class disparity: primary education in Singapore is universal and free; both secondary and pre-university education are heavily subsidized and virtually free for low-income families; and undergraduate education is also very heavily subsidized for students from low-income families.

As a result, Singapore spends only around 15 - 20% of all its GDP on social programming (like 'Welfare'). This equates to roughly half of that of North Americana and European countries.

In summary: They planned well, put plans into action with long-term vision, and stayed the course -- and now they're reaping the benefits as a society... And they did it without ever having to require people to scrub the sidewalks and clean the streets. They do that as a culture and social expectation; not as a requirement of governance or access to social programs.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

foodsmith wrote:

If u needed it. The government would feed u house u etc. However u had to clean up the streets and sidewalks.

This is wholly inaccurate and, well, just untrue.

Singapore's 'Central Provident Fund' is responsible for the equitable division of standards of living for its citizens in general, and was incomparably successful for much of the 20th century.

One of the guiding principles of the government that brought this forth in the mid-60s (after independence was transferred from British colonial rule) was to NOT have people working in menial jobs in exchange for supportive services. Rather, the history demonstrates a firm, heavily-funded push for education first as a means of resolving social/class disparity: primary education in Singapore is universal and free; both secondary and pre-university education are heavily subsidized and virtually free for low-income families; and undergraduate education is also very heavily subsidized for students from low-income families.

As a result, Singapore spends only around 15 - 20% of all its GDP on social programming (like 'Welfare'). This equates to roughly half of that of North Americana and European countries.

In summary: They planned well, put plans into action with long-term vision, and stayed the course -- and now they're reaping the benefits as a society... And they did it without ever having to require people to scrub the sidewalks and clean the streets. They do that as a culture and social expectation; not as a requirement of governance or access to social programs.

Not sure what part was untrue. U basically hit all my points. Well run. Cheap. Clean.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3240 posts

Postby foodsmith » Dec 22nd, 2017, 4:07 pm

foodsmith wrote:

And they did it without ever having to require people to scrub the sidewalks and clean the streets.

HorganIsMyHero likes this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Postby foodsmith » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

Sparki55 wrote:Lets just say I'd rather people whom find life so difficult they need to be coddled into a job never be given the opportunity to produce offspring. What chance in this world will their children have if we keep proping up everyone with so much help? They would just be raising the next generation of welfare abusers.

Have you even taken any time to research the program in question?
Or is everyone still (yet again...) just going to rely on assumptions and exactly zero information?

You have to qualify for Job Coaching assistance through WorkBC, and it is often geared toward those who are looking to either get off of Disability or supplement them in the hopes of transitioning to a more self-dependent stance with respect to their employment and income.

In exchange for agreement to open their businesses to supported employment, employers receive subsidy for hiring those experiencing multiple barriers to employment, so ultimately those that would often find themselves precariously employed instead find themselves steadily and gainfully employed in the long-term. :130:

3 people like this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Postby foodsmith » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:06 pm

Bman wrote:I can tell you before I interview someone what their chances of me hiring them is if they need to bring someone with them to the interview.

Good god.
Have people REALLY become that inept?

It's rapidly becoming a world full of idiots.

As always, the level of ignorance is just blinding.

The interview process doesn't just suddenly entail someone showing up with a third party saying, "Uhhhh... This is my spokesperson. They'll, like, vouch for me or whatever."

By the time you're meeting to set out the parameters of the employment relationship, you're well aware of what you're signing up for as far as needs, accommodations, or the like are concerned. :up:

2 people like this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:09 pm

foodsmith wrote:Have you even taken any time to research the program in question?
Or is everyone still (yet again...) just going to rely on assumptions and exactly zero information?

You have to qualify for Job Coaching assistance through WorkBC, and it is often geared toward those who are looking to either get off of Disability or supplement them in the hopes of transitioning to a more self-dependent stance with respect to their employment and income.

In exchange for agreement to open their businesses to supported employment, employers receive subsidy for hiring those experiencing multiple barriers to employment, so ultimately those that would often find themselves precariously employed instead find themselves steadily and gainfully employed in the long-term. :130:

Thank you for posting this. I'm involved with WorkBC and keep being told snippets about this program but the worker I have is new and doesn't seem to know a lot.

I've been told the same thing that people in the program receive some sort of page to attach to resumes that lets businesses know that by hiring the person there will be subsidy money. It's supposed to let the business and managers know right off the bat that the employee might have some challenges but that everyone can hopefully work together for a beneficial experience.

foodsmith likes this post.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Postby Bpeep » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:42 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Thank you for posting this. I'm involved with WorkBC and keep being told snippets about this program but the worker I have is new and doesn't seem to know a lot.

I've been told the same thing that people in the program receive some sort of page to attach to resumes that lets businesses know that by hiring the person there will be subsidy money. It's supposed to let the business and managers know right off the bat that the employee might have some challenges but that everyone can hopefully work together for a beneficial experience.

Are you one of the basket weaving special needs helmut babies whose parent were so stupid they coudnt decide your gender so you've been confused about it since the age of seven, and now as an adult you need your hand held when you apply for whatever minimum wage job they think you might qualify for?
I have a baseball for you. You're more than welcome to rent it.

2 people like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9984 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:44 pm

Bman wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote:

Are you one of the basket weaving special needs helmut babies whose parent were so stupid they coudnt decide your gender so you've been confused about it since the age of seven, and now as an adult you need your hand held when you apply for whatever minimum wage job they think you might qualify for?

Zing
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Postby Bpeep » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:49 pm

He probably needs to bring his social worker with him to interviews so they can explain the psychological dysfunction he has that compels him to wear only panties to the interview.
I have a baseball for you. You're more than welcome to rent it.

Catsumi likes this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9984 posts

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:52 pm

Bman wrote:He probably needs to bring his social worker with him to interviews so they can explain the psychological dysfunction he has that compels him to wear only panties to the interview.

Panties are comfortable.

God you're crazy.

Anyone says something you don't like and you start wigging out. Settle down.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Postby foodsmith » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm

Bman wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote:

I've been told the same thing that people in the program receive. some sort of page to attach to resumes that lets businesses know that by hiring the person there will be subsidy money. It's supposed to let the business and managers know right off the bat that the employee might have some challenges but that everyone can hopefully work together for a beneficial experience.

Whoa... Someone's projecting here. :smt045

It's okay, kiddo. No matter what your folks said or did to you, I'm sure they still loved you.... for awhile, anyway.

foodsmith
Board Meister

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm

Pretty sure horgan is a left wing troll. Kinda like how i often troll the left with ridiculous comments from the right. Its ok. As stated above this thread was meant to start good argument. Debate for the ones who prefer that term.

2 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:57 pm

foodsmith wrote: I'm sure they still loved you.... for awhile, anyway.

Till the diapers start to smell, then it's a whole new ball game. :biggrin:
Here is a frightening statistic...25% of Women are taking medications for mental illness.
That means 75% are running around untreated!

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11338 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room