Welfare.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Welfare.

Postby Triple 6 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

if posts continue to get personal. Shooting of people etc... I will lock the thread and a few will be placed on a time out. I'm not as nice as Ferri!

I'm not really nice at all.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

4 people like this post.
Triple 6

Liked in: 3252 posts

Postby Verum » Dec 22nd, 2017, 9:50 pm

What if you can't work because you just don't have adequate mental capacity or any other useful skills? We probably have more people like this than we have genii and Mensa puts the latter at 2%. That means more than 2% of the population will never be productive. What do we do for them, especially in a World where there will be fewer and fewer low skill, low mental capacity jobs?
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

HorganIsMyHero likes this post.
Verum
Übergod

Liked in: 1350 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:05 pm

Well, the Nation needs truck drivers too ! ^^^^^^^ :D
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Jflem1983 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3017 posts

Postby Hermes » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:19 pm

Triple 6 wrote:if posts continue to get personal. Shooting of people etc... I will lock the thread and a few will be placed on a time out. I'm not as nice as Ferri!

I'm not really nice at all.

Bravo
Hermes
Fledgling

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Verum » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:33 pm

dirtybiker wrote:Well, the Nation needs truck drivers too ! ^^^^^^^ :D

Not for long. Soon many jobs, which require some physical skill, but are largely repetitive, will be obsolete and that's a lot of modest intelligence people, who used to earn good money, without any work. What do we do for them?
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

Piecemaker likes this post.
Verum
Übergod

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:39 am

Verum wrote:What do we do for them?

Correction;
What do they do for themselves ?

ETA; I am a them and a they...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3017 posts

Postby Verum » Dec 23rd, 2017, 1:33 am

dirtybiker wrote:
Verum wrote:What do we do for them?

Correction;
What do they do for themselves ?

ETA; I am a them and a they...

The problem is, and I trust you are an exception to this, they, as in those whose entire industry goes away, often don't do anything for themselves to get back to a similar position to that which they were in. Lots of fallers never got into gainful employment after their industry contracted in terms of numbers of employees. It's just not a good idea to leave this kind of thing to individuals because they screw it up for all of us.
Verum
Übergod

Postby Ka-El » Dec 23rd, 2017, 6:00 am

Verum wrote: It's just not a good idea to leave this kind of thing to individuals because they screw it up for all of us.

Indeed. These issues are, unfortunately, not as simplistic as some would like to presume ("how much is a bullet?") - and while the weak and old would be left to die during the dark ages, we are no longer living in the dark ages (although forces south of us would seek to redress that) and we don't just leave people on the streets to expire. Oh, wait ...

Blaming might provide some satisfaction but it doesn't solve any problems. Intervention, on the other hand, can.
What did Forrest Gump say, "Stupid is as stupid does."? I think dimples has a new campaign slogan.

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5433 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 23rd, 2017, 7:11 am

U know who started the welfare idea. It was muslims around the 1200.
Its not a north American thing.
In fact i find it curious that the very people who invented welfare are now shopping around the world stage for the best places to migrate too. Of note is that they never go to states who do not offer generous welfare subsidies .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3240 posts

Postby Ka-El » Dec 23rd, 2017, 7:32 am

Jflem1983 wrote:U know who started the welfare idea.

In the United States, the welfare system began with the New Deal, under which a series of laws relating to welfare were passed beginning in 1932. The foundations for the welfare state were laid in the 1930s with Roosevelt's New Deal, and instituted so as to circumvent rioting in the streets by the peasants. The form we see it now largely congealed in the 1960s.
What did Forrest Gump say, "Stupid is as stupid does."? I think dimples has a new campaign slogan.

foodsmith likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5433 posts

Postby forum » Dec 23rd, 2017, 7:44 am

There is a certain point when old people are just using up precious space. They produce very little for how much they consume. Kind of like little kids. Some of the old people earn their keep, but it probably less than 10%.

Maybe we should be putting a cap on after retirement years.

Say someone retires at 65, we give them a good solid 15 years and then cut them off from the medical system. Let them survive on home remedies and such. Give them 300 square feet of space to live in so they can watch their news and nature channel. Let nature run it's course.
forum
Guru

Liked in: 1412 posts

Postby foodsmith » Dec 23rd, 2017, 7:54 am

Gotta gently challenge this one, JFlem.

1. Some of the earliest records of anything resembling social welfare theory being put into practice come from Rome in the 1st century AD; the Emperor Trajan would distribute money and free grains to the poor under his reign. Read more from Pliny the Elder... He spoke of it in his writings with fanfare.

2. The earliest reference that I have ever found speaking to Islamic law and 'Welfare'-style schemes that evwn remotely echo today's practice is around the 7th or 8th Century. Search for the term "zakat". It's one of the 5 Pillars of Islam and served as a base for the creation of a tax-sourced fund meanr as reserve to support ALL peoples -- with a focus on the poor. Food sources were also part of this early welfare system.

3. People of Muslim faith have been migrating throughout the world looooong before the Caliphate created this system; a major tenet of the faith is dissemination of the word of Allah through the teachings of his Prophet. It is also just the good old will of people to want to move toward opportunity for personal betterment -- thus, the idea that a specific group of people would move to places with the most available 'welfare' is difficult to accept. It's more likely that people move for security and safety first, as this is vastly more supported by historical reference than your blanket statement that "...they never go to states who do not offer generous welfare subsidies...".

Ka-El likes this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 23rd, 2017, 8:58 am

Bman wrote:I can tell you before I interview someone what their chances of me hiring them is if they need to bring someone with them to the interview.

Good god.
Have people REALLY become that inept?

It's rapidly becoming a world full of idiots.

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6300 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 23rd, 2017, 9:00 am

what next, mommy and daddy have to take there 25 year old kid to there job interview and answer the questions for them, leftwingers gone wild
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Jflem1983 likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6300 posts

Postby W105 » Dec 23rd, 2017, 9:15 am

hmmm...guess there's many that forget how many autistic adults there is in our society who can become excellent employees but just have trouble with the interviewing process..

4 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3332 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room