Welfare.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Welfare.

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:06 am

Developmentally challenged persons usually have an "Occupational Therapist" find the right job for that person and they assume the responsibility for that persons actions. Some are paid through different federal and provincial ministries. They don't have to go through a formal employer interview.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2036 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:14 am

By how many more street people our Country is gaining it makes my mind
wander to the Governments grand scheme to put everyone on the dole.
Then, total control can take place.

Tin foil hat ???? Check !

Best get all the kiddies lined up to be civil servants.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Jflem1983 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2763 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:20 am

W105 wrote:hmmm...guess there's many that forget how many autistic adults there is in our society who can become excellent employees but just have trouble with the interviewing process..

you are correct, but we are talking about lazy welfare bums here not autistic adults imo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

2 people like this post.
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5107 posts

Postby foodsmith » Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:54 am

the truth wrote:you are correct, but we are talking about lazy welfare bums here not autistic adults imo

Please help us understand how we can still apply the word "lazy" or "bum" to anyone who is attempting to find gainful employment -- and who recognizes their barriers, personal challenges, or limitations enough to seek assistance appropriately by accessong it specifically for how it was intended.

Actions like these are to be celebrated; not devalued or demeaned via childish name-calling and shaming of their life situations...

3 people like this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:04 pm

And for the 2nd and 3rd Generation Welfare families.

The ones that can not comprehend why anyone would actually go to.....gasp.....work !

I grew up in a neighbourhood riddled with them, and attended school with many..

the truth likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:07 pm

the truth wrote:you are correct, but we are talking about lazy welfare bums here not autistic adults imo

It's probably a minority, but some of these people described as lazy welfare bums actually are autistic or have some other disorder. People are protected in grade school and even university and then when they hit adulthood things can come crashing down.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:15 pm

dirtybiker wrote:And for the 2nd and 3rd Generation Welfare families.

The ones that can not comprehend why anyone would actually go to.....gasp.....work !

I grew up in a neighbourhood riddled with them, and attended school with many..

same here, the overeducated on here seem to refuse to understand that this is a real thing,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

dirtybiker likes this post.
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5107 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:27 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote: or have some other disorder.

Yes, I agree.

They suffer allergic reactions to work !

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:51 pm

dirtybiker wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote: or have some other disorder.

Yes, I agree.

They suffer allergic reactions to work !

Sure, or a disorder where they suffer random panic attacks, feel like they're dying, and cannot cope at all. But they physically look fine so they're simply lazy welfare bums. We all know the story.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 23rd, 2017, 1:28 pm

Id suggest u go take a job up north. People wont put up with much up there. Maybe u could find a spot where u have a lot more space. Better pay. There has gotta be something for everyone
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

foodsmith likes this post.
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2026 posts

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 23rd, 2017, 2:14 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Id suggest u go take a job up north. People wont put up with much up there.

Exactly? Why would someone with challenges do something like this? They would get fired and then be right back on social assistance.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 23rd, 2017, 3:18 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Id suggest u go take a job up north. People wont put up with much up there.

Exactly? Why would someone with challenges do something like this? They would get fired and then be right back on social assistance.

Better to start where the pay is better. Feel better. Be more apt to stick it out. Just my suggestion. Its helped me over the years. Smaller towns tend to value people more
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2026 posts

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 23rd, 2017, 3:26 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Better to start where the pay is better. Feel better. Be more apt to stick it out. Just my suggestion. Its helped me over the years. Smaller towns tend to value people more

Suggestion still seems contradictory in nature but okay thanks for politely suggesting something. Being paid above the bare minimum that can be paid without getting into illegal territory is definitely a good motivator.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Financial disincentive to go off welfare.

Postby Hermes » Dec 24th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Happy to explain details if enough interest. Short story is I get so many perks (example subsidized bus pass) that unless I get a really good paying job and solve my health problems it doesn't make financial sense to go off welfare. I am not a troll and yes I really am on welfare (due in part to 1. laziness; 2. several minor but chronic health problems and, 3. supplementing the care for my mother who has dementia). Very close to 65 now. If you are fortunate and choose carefully one can eat well from *some* food banks. I live simply, cycle and walk mostly, and even travelled recently due to tax credits from ten years.

I think the perspectives that welfare is an abomination or that we all deserve a guaranteed income are both unreasonable. Despite collecting welfare myself I lean towards a rationalization of the system. What really matters is my getting off welfare myself. But for those who presume that being on welfare is eating caviar and going to the spa, this is not factual.
Hermes
Fledgling

Liked in: 25 posts

Re: Financial disincentive to go off welfare.

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 24th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Hermes wrote:Happy to explain details if enough interest.

I wouldn't explain details as some people who supposedly have full-time jobs have nothing better to do than call government agencies and doctor offices to try to screw people out of benefits.

If you have chronic health issues it sounds more like you should have at least a temporary Disability designation so you have extra resources to find a suitable job.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room