Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 17th, 2018, 11:05 am

That is an excellent graphic. Good find GB. Very informative and interesting.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2255 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 17th, 2018, 11:10 am

@alanjh595:
First of all, did your Mother not tell you that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Or perhaps you just don't know the meaning of the word 'diatribe': "A bitter and violent denunciation". My last comments on this subject I prefer to think of as an 'essay': "A short literary composition".

Since you seem to be looking for a reason that I put more than one thought at a time into my comments, I can only say that my time on this computer is limited and I must use it wisely. That being said, I'll try to make this brief (but I can't make any promises) ;-)

Accusing others for using petroleum-based products was yesterdays excuse for trying to curtail discussion. There are many products on the market (or could be if there were the political will) that can easily replace them. I won't waste your time enumerating them because you know what they are, or if you don't, Google is your friend.

Your next 'blue' replies merely accentuate what I wrote, and your dream of being able to change the status quo before Earth becomes uninhabitable is just that........a dream. Seems to me that you've spent too much time watching Star Trek and not enough time watching documentaries.

Since you don't appreciate lengthy debate, I'll simply address your last point: "Sometimes faith is all we have left, because without it we are destined to fail." Wake up and smell the coffee, alan. We have already failed. Or should I say, our government and industries have failed us. Now it is time for us to rise up and take matters into our own hands. Going along with the status quo and agreeing with everything our governments and industries tell us is not the answer to saving our planet. We must listen to what 99% of our scientists are telling us and act accordingly.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 664 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 17th, 2018, 11:22 am

Cactusflower wrote:@alanjh595:
First of all, did your Mother not tell you that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Or perhaps you just don't know the meaning of the word 'diatribe': "A bitter and violent denunciation". My last comments on this subject I prefer to think of as an 'essay': "A short literary composition".

Since you seem to be looking for a reason that I put more than one thought at a time into my comments, I can only say that my time on this computer is limited and I must use it wisely. That being said, I'll try to make this brief (but I can't make any promises) ;-)

Accusing others for using petroleum-based products was yesterdays excuse for trying to curtail discussion. There are many products on the market (or could be if there were the political will) that can easily replace them. I won't waste your time enumerating them because you know what they are, or if you don't, Google is your friend.

Your next 'blue' replies merely accentuate what I wrote, and your dream of being able to change the status quo before Earth becomes uninhabitable is just that........a dream. Seems to me that you've spent too much time watching Star Trek and not enough time watching documentaries.

Since you don't appreciate lengthy debate, I'll simply address your last point: "Sometimes faith is all we have left, because without it we are destined to fail." Wake up and smell the coffee, alan. We have already failed. Or should I say, our government and industries have failed us. Now it is time for us to rise up and take matters into our own hands. Going along with the status quo and agreeing with everything our governments and industries tell us is not the answer to saving our planet. We must listen to what 99% of our scientists are telling us and act accordingly.

And your solution is? Attack others like me and our faith in humanity and science to repair the damage done and prevent it from happening in the future? How does that do anything to make progress with your desire? You sit on an anonymous forum and rant and rave, throw out unsubstantiated numbers like "99% of our scientists are telling us.....". How is this useful to anyone?
Now it is time for us to rise up and take matters into our own hands.
Do you have any idea how making a statement like this turns off more people and what it makes you look like? If you feel so strongly about your beliefs, how about throwing away you computer and lead by personal example?

How and what does ANY of these opinions of yours have to do with dilbit and salmon?
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 17th, 2018, 12:18 pm

^^ You need to consult your dictionary again, this time to look up the word 'attack'. You have a very thin skin if you think I've been attacking you. I simply state my own opinions, which (last time I checked) is what a 'public opinion forum' is all about. I am discussing dilbit and its production and transport's effect on our planet. What do you think we should be discussing on this thread?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 664 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 17th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^ You need to consult your dictionary again, this time to look up the word 'attack'. You have a very thin skin if you think I've been attacking you. I simply state my own opinions, which (last time I checked) is what a 'public opinion forum' is all about. I am discussing dilbit and its production and transport's effect on our planet. What do you think we should be discussing on this thread?

Let's see,
You need to consult your dictionary again, this time to look up the word 'attack'. You have a very thin skin if you think I've been attacking you

You don't think that is not an attack? Subliminal, insulting, and very condescending, nonetheless it is still an attack. How many would even want to talk with you since they are aware of your tactics? I don't blame them one little bit.
There is no wonder left in my mind as to why so many others talk to you the way they do. I have tried being nice to you and listen to your thoughts and concerns and even made an attempts to rationalize with you, all to no avail. I am no longer going to make the effort to talk with you on a "nice - nice" basis.
To all the others that have been waiting in line to explain your position and why CF is wrong, please proceed.

OH and just to keep the topic on the rails, "there is NO conclusive evidence to prove that dilbit hurt your fishies."

The research was funded by Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s National Contaminants Advisory Group and the next stage will determine whether fish species native to Canada will be affected by dilbit exposure. The work also includes the development of genetic markers of exposure to dilbit and toxicity that could be used to assess whether wild fish that survive a spill are still affected.

http://nwcoastenergynews.com/2015/07/17 ... udy-shows/
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 17th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Cactusflower wrote:

or more likely, you are just lying again because you have once again painted yourself into a corner.

We must listen to what 99% of our scientists are telling us and act accordingly.

I assume this in reference to the lie about 97% of scientists agreeing with the global warming hoax. You've now turned it up to 99%. Why not. This is like your comment about how profit margins on most businesses are 100%. Just pure nonsense. Do you wonder why no one but the craziest of the crazy listens to the garbage you spew? Doom-mongering only works on the dumbest and most gullible.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15256 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 17th, 2018, 2:30 pm

alanjh595 wrote:That is an excellent graphic. Good find GB. Very informative and interesting.

yes, when you look at all of the benefits mankind has received from petroleum products and how far civilization has advanced in the past 100 years, for the entire human race, it's remarkable and a huge complement to all the men and women who have gone before us that have made the inventions and brought us up to such a high standard of living. Some of the poorest people in Canada live better than some of the richest people even 150 years ago, with much better health care and nutrition. To say that people were better off 100 years ago is not only massive prevaricating and disingeneous, it is delusional.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15256 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 17th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Cactusflower wrote: Accusing others for using petroleum-based products was yesterdays excuse ….

And yet here you are still typing away. Just because you're still being a hypocrite doesn't make "yesterday's" argument null.

Cactusflower wrote: There are many products on the market (or could be if there were the political will) that can easily replace them. I won't waste your time enumerating them because you know what they are, or if you don't, Google is your friend.

No, there are some products on the market or in development that have some potential in reducing fossil fuel dependence, and the work continues, but to think you will speed up the process by extinguishing economic activity, putting people out of work and families on to the streets is not only naïve, but also counter-productive and dangerous. I won’t waste time getting into the complexities involved in making the transition from fossil fuel dependence - that by necessity will be a gradual process over many, many years - as the information is readily available to research yourself. Google is your friend.
research shows right-wingers tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers, and people with low
childhood intelligence that tend to grow up to be conservative with racist and homophobic views

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3907 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room