Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 11:48 am

Fancy wrote:It was carrying
an ultra-light, highly flammable crude oil

And.......?
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 495 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 15th, 2018, 11:50 am

Think there's more info here:
https://www.nap.edu/read/21834/chapter/4#22

TABLE 2-1 Major Classes of Compounds in Crude Oils, Percentages by Weight

and here:
http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/technic ... ct-streams
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 5447 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Fancy wrote:Think there's more info here:
https://www.nap.edu/read/21834/chapter/4#22

TABLE 2-1 Major Classes of Compounds in Crude Oils, Percentages by Weight

and here:
http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/technic ... ct-streams

Thank you for proving my point. Dilbit, Synbit, and Synthetic Crude are all products that should never be loaded onto tankers and shipped from our ports. Heavy diluted bitumen, however, according to your links, is what's being shipped from Burrard Inlet to WA State and much more will be shipped to China IF the KM expansion is allowed to go ahead. That product is far more destructive to the sea life than any other 'oil sands' product.

But I guess the dilbit supporters would rather just split hairs rather than address the China Sea story, what it has done to that area, and how easily something even worse could happen right here on our coast.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 15th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Cactusflower wrote: and how easily something even worse could happen right here on our coast.

other than fear-mongering and hyperbole, why could it "easily" happen? Are the current procedures in place really that lax? Compared to China?
Remember who is truly to blame for this insanely stupid trade war with Alberta - all of you people who voted for the NDP in the last election. Never let it happen again.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists - Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12972 posts

Postby LordEd » Jan 15th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Cactusflower wrote:But I guess the dilbit supporters would rather just split hairs rather than address the China Sea story, what it has done to that area, and how easily something even worse could happen right here on our coast.
Does it show that?

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1964 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 15th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Thank you for proving my point. Dilbit, Synbit, and Synthetic Crude are all products that should never be loaded onto tankers and shipped from our ports. Heavy diluted bitumen, however, according to your links, is what's being shipped from Burrard Inlet to WA State and much more will be shipped to China IF the KM expansion is allowed to go ahead. That product is far more destructive to the sea life than any other 'oil sands' product.

But I guess the dilbit supporters would rather just split hairs rather than address the China Sea story, what it has done to that area, and how easily something even worse could happen right here on our coast.

Are you suggesting that ALL oil products be banned from being transported by tankers?
For every country, both to and from?
How would countries that don't have oil, get any?
Do you think that all countries would agree with this concept?
What would happen to all of those countries that don't have any oil to pump from their own resource?
Why only limit your objections to Canada and cutting of one of our top income generating products?
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1547 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 15th, 2018, 3:23 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Are you suggesting that ALL oil products be banned from being transported by tankers?

I would say that's impossible, but having talked to enough of these lunatics, yes, that's what they want. Everyone living in caves, starving to death/freezing to death.
Remember who is truly to blame for this insanely stupid trade war with Alberta - all of you people who voted for the NDP in the last election. Never let it happen again.

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 4:32 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Thank you for proving my point. Dilbit, Synbit, and Synthetic Crude are all products that should never be loaded onto tankers and shipped from our ports. Heavy diluted bitumen, however, according to your links, is what's being shipped from Burrard Inlet to WA State and much more will be shipped to China IF the KM expansion is allowed to go ahead. That product is far more destructive to the sea life than any other 'oil sands' product.

What would happen to all of those countries that don't have any oil to pump from their own resource?
Why only limit your objections to Canada and cutting of one of our top income generating products?

The answers to all your above questions can be found by clicking on the Wikipedia link I provided on dilbit. All of the products I mentioned in my last comment are produced in either Alberta, Canada or in Venezuela. The shipping of conventional oil is a whole other ball game.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Cactusflower wrote:But I guess the dilbit supporters would rather just split hairs rather than address the China Sea story, what it has done to that area, and how easily something even worse could happen right here on our coast.

alanjh595 wrote:Are you suggesting that ALL oil products be banned from being transported by tankers?

The answers to all your above questions can be found by clicking on the Wikipedia link I provided on dilbit. All of the products I mentioned in my last comment are produced in either Alberta, Canada or in Venezuela. The shipping of conventional oil is a whole other ball game.

So? I asked what you wanted as a solution to a ship that leaked 1000's of miles from Canadian waters.
Very specific questions, requiring very succinct answers. I could look up anything I wanted, EXCEPT your answers are not available on Wikipedia.
I suggest that a pipeline to the USA would bypass your objections to oil by tanker. Since Canada has no say in US/international matters.
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 6:19 pm

^^Why is it so difficult for you to understand the English language? I'll try to make it easier for you:
1) No
2) No
3) From wherever they can import conventional oil
4) I have no idea
5) See #3
6) See the Wikipedia link which tells you that only Canada and Venezuela produce a heavy bitumen product which must be diluted with condensate in order for it to flow through pipelines

I suppose your next comment will be something like "We weren't discussing pipelines", to which I would reply, "How do you think KM would get the dilbit to the ocean-going tankers?"
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 15th, 2018, 6:29 pm

So what happens to all the oil Canada has in the ground? Just leave it there?

From your answers< I deduce that your ONLY issue is with dilbit, is that a safe conclusion?
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 8:11 pm

alanjh595 wrote:So what happens to all the oil Canada has in the ground? Just leave it there?

From your answers< I deduce that your ONLY issue is with dilbit, is that a safe conclusion?

It's the biggest issue on this particular topic.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 16th, 2018, 5:09 am

What suggestions do you have to transport this product to refineries for processing?
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 16th, 2018, 12:16 pm

alanjh595 wrote:What suggestions do you have to transport this product to refineries for processing?

These people have only one suggestion - we all live in caves. That's it.

alanjh595 likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby LordEd » Jan 16th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Except that would displace bears and bats...

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1964 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room