Defective orange license plate stickers is your fault?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Defective orange license plate stickers is your fault?

Postby karma5000 » Dec 29th, 2017, 9:59 am

So I went in to BCAA yesterday to tell the my licence plate decal is rubbing off.. I'm then told this is a known defect with the orange stickers, it was a problem with the ink, and reacts with soaps for cars. Wow thanks icbc for not telling anyone? Not only that.. I have to pay to replace the defective sticker that they knew was defective and sold anyways? WTH. Then they tell me that icbc told the police and I can be ticketed for it. Okay so to me this is what I heard.

-icbc knew there was a problem and sold them anyways
-icbc told no consumers
-icbc told other insurance brokers, who told no one
-icbc told the police
-icbc charges consumers to replace defective products
-police are specifically looking for defective orange stickers
-police are ticketing driver for defective stickers

---> planned scam? FRAUD?

why is it I can go to Walmart and buy stickers and if it doesn't stick or work properly I can return it... But when I have a licence plate sticker with ink wearing off, it's my fault? This is how I see it..
-purchased 1 year insurance contract
-decal is made to last the term of insurance
-defective decal is a breach of contract
-defective product should be replace at no cost, and any fines incurred during the process of replacement (ei. Within a week of knowing) should be waived or the responsibility of the seller.

Ps. The decal replacement is being charged as lost or stolen.. Which I clearly proved is not the case as its perfectly still on my plate.
karma5000

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Defective orange license plate stickers is your fault?

Postby my5cents » Dec 29th, 2017, 10:51 am

karma5000 wrote:So I went in to BCAA yesterday to tell the my licence plate decal is rubbing off.. I'm then told this is a known defect with the orange stickers, it was a problem with the ink, and reacts with soaps for cars. Wow thanks icbc for not telling anyone? Not only that.. I have to pay to replace the defective sticker that they knew was defective and sold anyways? WTH. Then they tell me that icbc told the police and I can be ticketed for it. Okay so to me this is what I heard.

-icbc knew there was a problem and sold them anyways
-icbc told no consumers
-icbc told other insurance brokers, who told no one
-icbc told the police
-icbc charges consumers to replace defective products
-police are specifically looking for defective orange stickers
-police are ticketing driver for defective stickers

---> planned scam? FRAUD?

why is it I can go to Walmart and buy stickers and if it doesn't stick or work properly I can return it... But when I have a licence plate sticker with ink wearing off, it's my fault? This is how I see it..
-purchased 1 year insurance contract
-decal is made to last the term of insurance
-defective decal is a breach of contract
-defective product should be replace at no cost, and any fines incurred during the process of replacement (ei. Within a week of knowing) should be waived or the responsibility of the seller.

Ps. The decal replacement is being charged as lost or stolen.. Which I clearly proved is not the case as its perfectly still on my plate.

Planned scam ? Fraud ?

No, it's not, it's much simpler,,, STUPIDITY

I've been driving in BC since the start of validation decals, it HAS been VERY rare for a decal to ??? "loose it's printing". In the last short while, in driving around I've seen several of the orange decals with little left of their printing.

The law requires you to attach the validation decal you have been supplied with to the rear plate, (if the vehicle has a licensed gross weight not exceeding 5500 kg),,, I would say you have.

The plate (and I'd expect, reasonably) the decal, must be unobstructed. I would you say it is, the police can see your plate and can see the faded decal, it's not "obstructed".

The section regarding a plate to be "unobstructed" states :

Plates to be unobstructed
    3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

I would gather this is the section the police would charge under.

As you can see, this section deals with something "obstructing" the view of the plate, which isn't the case.

If you receive a ticket, I think you'd win in court, but that's a waste of your time, you don't get any reimbursement for you time wasted.

Also there is no mystery about the fact your plates are valid, virtually every police vehicle is equipped with a computer terminal that can verify the validity of your plates in seconds.

This is a consumer vendor issue. You paid, for a decal that is to indicate, visually, that you have valid insurance for a certain period. The decal you were supplied with did not indicate you had valid insurance for that agreed period.

With all the problems ICBC is having this isn't the wisest thing for ICBC to take a stand on.

Media ? MLA ? Perhaps start with a letter (something you can prove you sent) to ICBC head honcho.

This is BS, but sadly typical.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

3 people like this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1227 posts

Postby sobrohusfat » Dec 29th, 2017, 10:57 am

sharpie.jpeg

...comengetme coppas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

3 people like this post.
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1674 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:02 am

This should be charged back to the printers & ICBC should not be charging for replacement decal.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

3 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7398 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bsuds » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:07 am

I have seen cars with expired decals over 8 months old so what are the chances the Police would stop you?

Exactly zero!

They punch you license plate # into their on-board computer and it tells them whether you have valid insurance or not. If your insurance is up to date then they ignore you.

Don't stress over it!
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11074 posts

Postby my5cents » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:48 am

Bsuds wrote:I have seen cars with expired decals over 8 months old so what are the chances the Police would stop you?

Exactly zero!

They punch you license plate # into their on-board computer and it tells them whether you have valid insurance or not. If your insurance is up to date then they ignore you.

Don't stress over it!

As for the 8 month expired decal, that doesn't mean the vehicle has been driven for 8 months, just that it's out that day.

I would still get it rectified. There are some cops who don't care if the ticket isn't exactly legal.

Get pulled over and you've left you wallet at home. The computer will tell them you have a valid DL, likely you will still get a ticket for failing to produce your DL.

The two charges "Fail to Display Current Plate" and "Obstructed Plate" are, in my opinion invalid charges for this circumstance but if a ticket is issued, you've either got a lot of phoning, letter writing or you've got to appear in court.

If we had any even half decent media in the Okanagan I'd say call them, but unless it's a news item they can buy from another station or it's "a photo sent in by....." or ducks crossing the road, a car in the ditch, forget it.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

lightspeed likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1227 posts

Postby sobrohusfat » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:58 am

i am pleased to report;

There are still a few RCMP out there (even some young ones!) who exercise reason and their discretion - unwilling to act as the shake-down instruments for those who already rape our pay-cheques enough as it is.

CHEERS! to you! :130:

...nice to see some of you still remember who's side you're supposed to be on.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1674 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 29th, 2017, 12:13 pm

$18.00 for a new sticker.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3407 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 29th, 2017, 12:17 pm

my5cents wrote:
As for the 8 month expired decal, that doesn't mean the vehicle has been driven for 8 months, just that it's out that day.

I took a photo of it (it was parked at Wal Mart) and went to the RCMP building and they checked that it was current and were not interested in following up further.
I was just concerned that it had no insurance so that was all I cared about.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Piecemaker » Dec 29th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Note to self. Put some CLEAR tape over orange car decal.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1577 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Dec 29th, 2017, 12:34 pm

What did it cost you? $18?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2987 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 29th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Piecemaker wrote:Note to self. Put some CLEAR tape over orange car decal.

Pretty much too late the 2018's are yellow.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby karma5000 » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:03 pm

[quote="sobrohusfat"]
sharpie.jpeg

ROFLMAO totally was tempted..

As for the decal yes you are required to pay for the replacement.. I went to icbc to give them a peice of my mind and her reply was we don't do insurnace just licencing. Uhh? The she told me to go to an insurance broker to deal with.. Wait, what? And insurance broken just charges what icbc says.. How can they help?
Anyways I have to say this.. Walking into BCAA a second time today I demanded to talk to a manager.. Thankfully I'm not one to "just pay it".. The BCAA manager was gracious enough to allow BCAA to pay icbc the fees on my behalf and that BCAA, would "deal with icbc".

dirtybiker likes this post.
karma5000

Liked in: 1 post

Postby GordonH » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Those who want to raise hell over this, no sense going to either insurance brokers or ICBC.
It a crown corporation so go raise hell with your MLA, Minister in charge & the Premier.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7398 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Take it up with bclib mla. They screwed up icbc
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room