2018 Saving and Investment Thread.

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

2018 Saving and Investment Thread.

Postby Queen K » Feb 4th, 2018, 2:20 pm

This thread is intended to cover all saving and investment squirmishes that are bound to happen with so many with different goals, income and disposable income.

I know I need to brush up on my skills and heck, even learn to make them.

Is it easy to buy and sell stocks on line and what are the pitfalls to watch out for?
I hereby ban Trump, the Russian's monkey-Do, from my funeral. McCain had it right.

OldIslander likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12802 posts

Re: 2018 Saving and Investment Thread.

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 4th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Rule #1. Find a product that you like and see that others will too. Buy stock in that company.

I wish I bought into disposable diapers when they were first introduced on the market.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Queen K likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3300 posts

Postby slootman » Feb 4th, 2018, 2:46 pm

A good product isn't always enough - the company still has to figure out how to be profitable. Buying on personal tastes can be risky both ways. E.g. I think bottled water is the worst thing ever, but companies making it have been great investments.

I am watching MJ stocks a lot. They surged last year but are now in a big pull back. Question is - what are good entry points? Specific companies or ETFs? A few companies in the valley are public - it'd be nice to invest locally but who knows if they'll make it.

Thanks for starting this thread QK!

Queen K likes this post.
slootman
Übergod

Liked in: 1430 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 4th, 2018, 3:01 pm

slootman wrote:A good product isn't always enough - the company still has to figure out how to be profitable. Buying on personal tastes can be risky both ways. E.g. I think bottled water is the worst thing ever, but companies making it have been great investments.

I am watching MJ stocks a lot. They surged last year but are now in a big pull back. Question is - what are good entry points? Specific companies or ETFs? A few companies in the valley are public - it'd be nice to invest locally but who knows if they'll make it.

Thanks for starting this thread QK!

The problem that I see with MJ is that it is a short term risk. As competition increases, values will drop. Growing pot is easy, marketing is going to be the hard part. The competition will be so great, that the retail price will drop as fast as new growers come on line.
Demand will become saturated with supply and the prices will drop.
My recommendation would be; get in and get out on the short. There is some money to made there during start-up but, this is not a long-term investment.

Ken7 likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Ka-El » Feb 10th, 2018, 10:35 am

During times of stress and uncertainty, Oracle of Omaha Warren Buffett recommends keeping a level head. In response to wild market fluctuations back in 2016, he told CNBC that buy-and-hold is still the best strategy.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/markets/ ... &ocid=iehp

... and avoid any "get rich quick" Ponzi schemes. Any competent financial advisor will tell you to build a stable and secure financial base first before risking your money in highly volatile "investments". If you already own a home and have a solid savings/investment plan that has been in place long enough to have built substantial equity and are now able to "play" with money you can afford to lose then go ahead, but prudent investors will make sure they are first financially secure.
Who's dimples ?

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 4798 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 10th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Don't enter into the murky waters unless you are in for the long haul and won't panic when the market goes up like an escalator the down just as fast.
Yes, easy to buy stocks via on line banking.
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2843 posts

Postby OldIslander » Feb 10th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Next week, I'll be visiting our local 'Coast Capital Savings' -- I have an account there now and really like them. Until March 20, they are offering a term deposit for 33 months at 4%. It can be registered or non-registered funds. I don't know how they can do it -- none of the chartered banks seem to be trying to compete... Maybe that'll change next week...

I've reached the age where my risk comfort zone is low -- can't afford to have any bad investments any more (Lord knows I've had many of those, over the years...) :200:

Details here:
https://www.coastcapitalsavings.com/Cam ... onvertible
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."

normaM likes this post.
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 451 posts

Postby OldIslander » Feb 10th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Queen K wrote:Is it easy to buy and sell stocks on line and what are the pitfalls to watch out for?

The E-Trade baby really was a smart little bugger...! :D I tried them for a while about 20 years ago, and eventually switched to the higher-rated Q-Trade. Like everything else, the internet has made detailed investment research available to the great unwashed. Someone with a bit of motivation, can do very well if they do their homework and get good advice. (It's also easy to lose a pile of dough, with very little effort... :200: ) If you have the interest in managing your own account, you can save a lot on the management fees, charged on most mutual funds. Q-Trade (and all its competitors) have absolutely awesome learning resources, free of charge to their clients.

Before E-Trade, I used a brokerage and paid fairly hefty fees. In Q-trade, the trades are considerably less expensive and ridiculously easy... My career didn't end up providing a pension, but I knew that 30 years ago, and did it on my own with RRSP's and several other non-registered plans. My considerably better half did much the same thing, and we're in excellent financial shape.

The earlier you start, the better...!
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 451 posts

Postby Catsumi » Feb 10th, 2018, 1:57 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Rule #1. Find a product that you like and see that others will too. Buy stock in that company.

I wish I bought into disposable diapers when they were first introduced on the market.

Yes, we are dependant on them at both ends of life cycle. Buy now, buy early, buy often.

:200:
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2245 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 10th, 2018, 2:17 pm

I have a hoard of the ones that are good for 8-12 lbs. saved up for later years. :200:
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Bpeep » Feb 10th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Cigarettes are the best investment.
The more you spend on them, the less money you need to save for retirement.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.

alanjh595 likes this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9720 posts

Postby slootman » Feb 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Queen K wrote:Is it easy to buy and sell stocks on line and what are the pitfalls to watch out for?

It's really easy and as some have mentioned there are many platforms available. Biggest pitfall IMO is trading fees. They can be as low at $7 and as high as $30. For a $1000 trade that could mean up to 3%, just to buy. You'll pay again to sell. For those holding long term, trading infrequently, or if you're a baller it makes less of an impact.

I use the platform from my bank. Fees are under $10 per buy/sell. I think questrade has lower fees but it's not worth the hassle for me.
slootman
Übergod

Liked in: 1430 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 10th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Bman wrote:Cigarettes are the best investment.
The more you spend on them, the less money you need to save for retirement.

You see, there is a reason I smoke. I know why I drink, and have many excuses for it, but I never had 1 for smoking.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Veovis » Feb 10th, 2018, 5:16 pm

My only advice would be to tax plan the crap out of things, managing the same income gets far easier when you pay little to no tax, set up wrong and you will lose 10-20% every year if you aren't careful and have a proper plan.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4104 posts

Return to Bickering Room