Ban ocean fish farms?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 20th, 2018, 11:47 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219312 ... fish-farms
According to this article, nobody asked NDP MP Fin Donnelly for a comment. I just received a letter from Fin in which he stated in part, "Although Bill C-228 was defeated, I have not given up the fight to #SaveWildSalmon. Six years after habitat provisions of the federal Fisheries Act were gutted by the Conservatives, the Liberals have finaly restored protection for all fish across Canada. I believe these protections should have been restored immediately following the last election, however I welcome this legislation.

However, the bill does not address the conflicting mandates which Commissioner Cohen identified of conserving wild salmon while promoting harmful salmon farming practices. I will be working to amend this when it comes to committee."

Thank goodness somebody's working to get those Atlantic salmon sea-pens out of B.C.

flamingfingers likes this post.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4118
Likes: 1950 posts
Liked in: 824 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 20th, 2018, 11:49 am

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219312/Ban-ocean-fish-farms
According to this article, nobody asked NDP MP Fin Donnelly for a comment. I just received a letter from Fin in which he stated in part, "Although Bill C-228 was defeated, I have not given up the fight to #SaveWildSalmon. Six years after habitat provisions of the federal Fisheries Act were gutted by the Conservatives, the Liberals have finaly restored protection for all fish across Canada. I believe these protections should have been restored immediately following the last election, however I welcome this legislation.

However, the bill does not address the conflicting mandates which Commissioner Cohen identified of conserving wild salmon while promoting harmful salmon farming practices. I will be working to amend this when it comes to committee."

Thank goodness somebody's working to get those Atlantic salmon sea-pens out of B.C.


Is he actually doing this though? Do you trust this guy after he blatantly lied about other issues? I sure don't. But of course, he's NDP, so no one can trust those bozos.
"Socialists sure are a lot dumber today than they were when I was alive" - John Stuart Mill

JT - he's been ready since 2015, to be the puppet of Gerald Butts and the Laurentide Elite.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29305
Likes: 12827 posts
Liked in: 17329 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 20th, 2018, 4:07 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219312/Ban-ocean-fish-farms
According to this article, nobody asked NDP MP Fin Donnelly for a comment. I just received a letter from Fin in which he stated in part, "Although Bill C-228 was defeated, I have not given up the fight to #SaveWildSalmon. Six years after habitat provisions of the federal Fisheries Act were gutted by the Conservatives, the Liberals have finaly restored protection for all fish across Canada. I believe these protections should have been restored immediately following the last election, however I welcome this legislation.

However, the bill does not address the conflicting mandates which Commissioner Cohen identified of conserving wild salmon while promoting harmful salmon farming practices. I will be working to amend this when it comes to committee."

Thank goodness somebody's working to get those Atlantic salmon sea-pens out of B.C.


Is he actually doing this though? Do you trust this guy after he blatantly lied about other issues? I sure don't. But of course, he's NDP, so no one can trust those bozos.


What 'other issues' did he lie about? Now, GB, I expect links just as you expect links from me about a news article I read several years ago concerning the Burnaby refinery and Cherry Point, WA.

Have to admit that I haven't found that particular news item, but I did find one that you might find interesting. You have to scroll down to the 7th paragraph of the letter to find the part that relates to KM and the Burnaby refinery.
http://whatcomwatch.org/index.php/artic ... dered-eis/
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4118
Likes: 1950 posts
Liked in: 824 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 20th, 2018, 5:06 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
What 'other issues' did he lie about?


That brainless *bleep* lied about the application for that Syrian kid. But you already know that. How that idiot is still an MP is a testament to just how dumb the voters are in Port Moody Coquitlam. The NDP just plain sucks.

http://warrenkinsella.com/2015/09/shoul ... mp-resign/

Where are the links to your lie about the Burnaby refinery? Oh right...


Warren Kinsella? Is he Patrick Kinsella's brother? [icon_lol2.gif] (Don't get me started!)

If you could read more than a few words, you would have seen the link I provided for you. The 7th paragraph begins, "Additionally, in December 2013......."
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4118
Likes: 1950 posts
Liked in: 824 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 21st, 2018, 9:01 am

Thank goodness somebody's working to get those Atlantic salmon sea-pens out of B..C.

If there's one thing I learned most people believe everything they read. Even if it's a personal reply from someone. That's part of the problem
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

flamingfingers likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling
 
Posts: 234
Likes: 361 posts
Liked in: 202 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby alfred2 » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:37 am

Get rid of fish farms in ocean, get the cities that dump their raw sewage in the ocean. How anyone can eat any of the sea food that lives in that sewage is beyond any common sense. Yet they *bleep* and cry about a pipeline that does not go into the sea. [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2004
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 839 posts
Joined: Jun 29th, 2013, 10:02 am

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 21st, 2018, 3:38 pm

Maybe the BC NDP plan to close down the fish farms and open up more troll farms.
Dimples - "just not ready"

3 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8929
Likes: 2563 posts
Liked in: 9690 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 21st, 2018, 3:50 pm

OH....He11....ban them all! Period. No more fish farms, no more commercial fishing, no more crabbing, oysters, prawns, shrimp, or any other sea-life for 10 years. Stop them all, right now and let them recover naturally. Shut it all down. Let the natives have their fish for ceremonial purposes, but they have to catch them using their aboriginal methods, and if/when they get caught violating those conditions, cancel their rights for the whole tribe.
Let a few sports fishers have some fun with limited permits purchased, to maintain tourism, but NO commercial fishing at all, for anyone.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6826
Likes: 2586 posts
Liked in: 3645 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm

alfred2 wrote:Get rid of fish farms in ocean, get the cities that dump their raw sewage in the ocean. How anyone can eat any of the sea food that lives in that sewage is beyond any common sense. Yet they *bleep* and cry about a pipeline that does not go into the sea. [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]


Stop laughing and read what you just wrote. A pipeline that doesn't go into the sea? What is KM/TM going to do with the dilbit once it reaches Burnaby......just pump it all over the neighbourhood, just like what happened in 2007 when somebody punched a hole in the pipe with a backhoe? Here's a short lesson on the export of bitumen: It is mixed with a diluent and sent by pipeline to tidewater, where it is pumped into an oil tanker and shipped to the country that ordered it. Sheesh!
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4118
Likes: 1950 posts
Liked in: 824 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Urbane » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:32 pm

    Cactusflower wrote:Stop laughing and read what you just wrote. A pipeline that doesn't go into the sea? What is KM/TM going to do with the dilbit once it reaches Burnaby......just pump it all over the neighbourhood, just like what happened in 2007 when somebody punched a hole in the pipe with a backhoe? Here's a short lesson on the export of bitumen: It is mixed with a diluent and sent by pipeline to tidewater, where it is pumped into an oil tanker and shipped to the country that ordered it. Sheesh!
Alfred is correct and you are wrong. The pipeline connects directly to each ship. It does not go into the sea.
"Spectemur agendo"

rustled likes this post.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21464
Likes: 9536 posts
Liked in: 11824 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm

Fish farms need to be taken out of West Coast waters and relocated on land with proper facilities and oversight to ensure health of the farmed salmon.

Conservation and enhancement of our native stocks should be of prime importance.
Give a voice to more people - vote Pro rep!!!

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20647
Likes: 6107 posts
Liked in: 6451 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:48 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Fish farms need to be taken out of West Coast waters and relocated on land with proper facilities and oversight to ensure health of the farmed salmon.

Conservation and enhancement of our native stocks should be of prime importance.


Then you had best be talking to Alaska "salmon ranchers" and the Russian "salmon ranchers" about strip mining the north Pacific for biomass, and climbing all over the City of Richmond and the "green" city of Vancouver about their degradation and pollution of the critical estuary habitat.

Those two things cause 1,000 times more damage.
Dimples - "just not ready"
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8929
Likes: 2563 posts
Liked in: 9690 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:49 pm

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:Stop laughing and read what you just wrote. A pipeline that doesn't go into the sea? What is KM/TM going to do with the dilbit once it reaches Burnaby......just pump it all over the neighbourhood, just like what happened in 2007 when somebody punched a hole in the pipe with a backhoe? Here's a short lesson on the export of bitumen: It is mixed with a diluent and sent by pipeline to tidewater, where it is pumped into an oil tanker and shipped to the country that ordered it. Sheesh!
Alfred is correct and you are wrong. The pipeline connects directly to each ship. It does not go into the sea.


Don't be silly, Urb. And yes, FF, you're correct. I should have stressed the fact that the salmon farms should be moved out of the water and onto land-based operations.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4118
Likes: 1950 posts
Liked in: 824 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Snman » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:52 pm

Let's wipe the slate clean. Ban oceans, fish, and farms. That's the ticket, that's the ticket!!
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1134
Likes: 1297 posts
Liked in: 878 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 5:27 am

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 21st, 2018, 5:54 pm

Snman wrote:Let's wipe the slate clean. Ban oceans, fish, and farms. That's the ticket, that's the ticket!!


You need to cut down your ingestion of Silly Pills!!
Give a voice to more people - vote Pro rep!!!

2 people like this post.
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20647
Likes: 6107 posts
Liked in: 6451 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Next

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests