Ban ocean fish farms?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Ban ocean fish farms?

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 5th, 2018, 10:40 am

I'm tired of doing research for people who are too lazy to do their own, but I will inform them how to do it: Simply google 'aquaculture in California'. Surely that can't be too difficult.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 714 posts

Postby rustled » Mar 5th, 2018, 11:02 am

Cactusflower wrote:I'm tired of doing research for people who are too lazy to do their own, but I will inform them how to do it: Simply google 'aquaculture in California'. Surely that can't be too difficult.

Indeed. Lots of interesting stuff. Here's some of what I found:
A report from marine experts says the United States, which lags behind many other countries in fish farming, would benefit from increasing its aquaculture, including off the California coast. Mike O'Sullivan has more from the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, California.
https://www.voanews.com/a/california-aq ... 33733.html

A panel of aquaculture experts appeared before a US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation today to discuss the opportunities that America is missing by not more fully embracing domestic marine aquaculture. Don Kent, President/CEO of Hubbs-Sea World Research Institute, explained both the tremendous economic opportunity and the frustrations resulting from unclear federal regulatory authority over and permitting of aquaculture in the EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone). The uncertainty and extraordinary delays experienced by his group’s proposed project in its interactions with federal agencies reflected a common theme plaguing aquaculture development in the US. The benefits to working waterfront, maritime communities, as well as the general US seafood consumer were reinforced by Kent and the other panel members. Throughout the hearing, a positive message of opportunity was expressed by the panelists, and tough questions by some committee members were addressed openly and suggestions made toward practical solutions. http://caaquaculture.org/2018/01/31/us- ... rtunities/

Yep. California seems to have quite a bit of aquaculture going on, and they seem fairly balanced in their approach.
Done well, aquaculture is an efficient and environmentally sustainable way of meeting our growing demand for seafood (over 90% of US seafood is imported). Seafood is delicious and good for you, but there aren’t enough wild fish in the oceans to meet our appetite.
...snip...
Doing aquaculture well takes the cooperation of innovative producers and regulators working to maintain California’s high economic, environmental, and quality standards. It also means protecting public health, ecosystems, and resources for generations ahead.
https://aquaculturematters.ca.gov/about/

There are numerous permits that must be obtained to culture marine species. The specific permits required vary by project location and species to be cultured. For aquaculture in State waters, permits are generally required from State and Federal agencies, and may include coordination with local Tribes. Permits may also be required from local Counties. For aquaculture in Federal waters, permits are required from Federal agencies and will include coordination with States. http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov ... tting.html

So far, nothing in any of these links suggesting ocean pens should be banned. Instead, they seem to recognize the need for cautious development of more ocean aquaculture.

So, once again, CF, we are left with the likelihood there's nothing to support your position.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 5952 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 5th, 2018, 11:17 am

^^Glad to see you started the research anyway. However, it seems you only read the part about coastal aquaculture. I was referring to the aquaculture ponds in the desert, and GB called me a liar (again). So I suggest you read the links to which I referred.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby rustled » Mar 5th, 2018, 11:26 am

Cactusflower wrote:^^Glad to see you started the research anyway. However, it seems you only read the part about coastal aquaculture. I was referring to the aquaculture ponds in the desert, and GB called me a liar (again). So I suggest you read the links to which I referred.

What links would those be? You chose not to provide any. Here, let me refresh your memory:
Cactusflower wrote:I'm tired of doing research for people who are too lazy to do their own, but I will inform them how to do it: Simply google 'aquaculture in California'. Surely that can't be too difficult.

I google "aquaculture in California" and find a lot of interesting information, but what I found doesn't suit your narrative, so you imply I'm the one that's too lazy to do research and too biased to do it right. [icon_lol2.gif]

And you wonder why you have no credibility?
:digging:
Anyhoo, I see this thread has now been moved to the bickering room. Seems appropriate.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 5th, 2018, 12:43 pm

So you are lying. Again. What a surprise.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15617 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 5th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^Glad to see you started the research anyway. However, it seems you only read the part about coastal aquaculture. I was referring to the aquaculture ponds in the desert, and GB called me a liar (again). So I suggest you read the links to which I referred.

I said that if you couldn't back up your statements, and just did the lazy "Google is your friend" response, that I would have to assume that you were lying (again). And guess what, you did just that, and so I assume that you are lying (again).
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 5th, 2018, 12:49 pm

rustled wrote:Anyhoo, I see this thread has now been moved to the bickering room. Seems appropriate.

Not to worry Rustled. Constant thread starter will just start yet another ocean sea pen thread, fill it full of lies which will be refuted, and then watch as it is once again thrown into the Bickering Room. Rinse and repeat.

The OP just doesn't seem to grasp that posting info with no back-up or just out-right lying is a bad strategy for trying to garner support.
- Dr. Don Boys

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Cactusflower » Mar 5th, 2018, 1:48 pm

https://www.google.ca/search?q=desert+a ... KfX_rhhvgC

This is the last time I'm going to do any aquaculture (or for that matter, any other) research for the rude, incompetent, and/or lazy members of these Castanet forums.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby rustled » Mar 5th, 2018, 2:52 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
rustled wrote:Anyhoo, I see this thread has now been moved to the bickering room. Seems appropriate.

Not to worry Rustled. Constant thread starter will just start yet another ocean sea pen thread, fill it full of lies which will be refuted, and then watch as it is once again thrown into the Bickering Room. Rinse and repeat.

The OP just doesn't seem to grasp that posting info with no back-up or just out-right lying is a bad strategy for trying to garner support.

Yep, as predicted: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77423&p=2319144#p2319127
Factual, science support for demanding a ban not anticipated here either, but it's remotely possible. Not waiting with bated breath.

And dang me for a rude, incompetent, and/or lazy forum member, not including "desert" in my previous Google search. Gracious me, lookit all those stories about desert aquaculture. Bit dated, most of them. Whoah, hey now, that first one's talking about how it's a good idea to use ocean pens. That can't be right!

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 5th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
This is the last time I'm going to do any aquaculture (or for that matter, any other) research for the rude, incompetent, and/or lazy members of these Castanet forums.

Hey if you don't want to do any research for yourself, that's your call.
- Dr. Don Boys

rustled likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Jhunter199 » Mar 6th, 2018, 5:22 pm

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
I had a good laugh at that too Rustled,
Very first link I clicked on in the google search "desert aquaculture in California" talks about how Ocean pens are recommend and produce a better end result. Didnt expect that lol
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Liked in: 341 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room